Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my bike has 2,400 miles on it and when I take the seat off I see where it has rubbed on the tank...I hope I can buff it out...is this common?

Does the mustang seat do this also? Will a tank bib stop this? And if it does will a tank bib itself rub the finish on tank?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi, this seems to be a common problem an most motorcycles, not just the Kawasaki customs. If you catch it soon enough then yes you can polish out the rub mark if it hasn't gone thru the clear lacquer. The real answer to this problem would be to apply a clear abrasion resistant tape to the back of the tank. Most car makers use this sort of product on vulnerable areas to reduce stone chips and 3M make this tape on a roll which can be cut to shape and stuck on ( it is self adhesive, a bit like a wide thick roll of sellotape ). If you decide to use this type of product be warned that although it is flexible and stretchy enough to easily cope with the contours of a bike tank, it is not easy to work with and can be very frustrating to get it to look neat and tidy with out lots of air bubbles under it. As for the mustang seat and tank bib idea then you might have read my post about this very subject http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/49-vulcan-900/191762-mustang-seat-paint-tank-bib.html . The mustang day tripper does not cover the rub mark from the standard seat as it is at least an inch shorter at the front which in it's self isn't a problem as you do not sit on that part of the seat .the seat does seem to fit more positively than the original but I guess will still leave a mark, just further back on the tank! As for a tank bib, this may help if it is fitted tightly to the tank but I personally think that some sort of protective tape on the tank is the way to go ( I have half a roll and will be using it to try and prevent further damage). Hope this helps.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Is it common? That I can't answer other than saying I've seen a few people ask about it. I have over 18k on my 900 and only took the stock seat off a couple months ago and there wasn't any rubbing or discoloration or scuffing or anything on my tank other than a little caked on dirt and dust that washed off pretty easily. You may be able to buff it out if it hasn't worn through the clear coat. The Mustang seat, from what I've read doesn't cover as much of the rear of the tank as the stocker does and may not hide the blemish if it's bad. A tank bib will cover the spot, but yes, tank bibs can also affect paint over time.

·
Registered
154 Posts
my bike has 2,400 miles on it and when I take the seat off I see where it has rubbed on the tank...I hope I can buff it out...is this common?

Does the mustang seat do this also? Will a tank bib stop this? And if it does will a tank bib itself rub the finish on tank?
I would say yes, My 900 has less km on it than that and I have removed the rubbing marks 3 times already. My mustang seat also rubs. It's going to happen as it sits flush to the tank.

rubbing compound removes it easy enough. a tank bib removes the center portion but the mustang seat is wider than the bib so it still happens. Luckily as others mentioned its not visible when the seat is on, and you'll always have a seat :)

·
VRAC Nation President, BOTM Winner Sept. 2013 & No
122 Posts
I have a mustang seat and I put it on at about 6000km now at about 20k and yes it has rubbed and scuffed my paint job more and up further on the tank than my stock seat ever did.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have a mustang seat and I put it on at about 6000km now at about 20k and yes it has rubbed and scuffed my paint job more and up further on the tank than my stock seat ever did.
hmm which mustang seat? Mine isn't worse, its about the same as stock, less with the bib of course I have the wide touring seat.

If its a huge issue you might consider gluing on some soft felt to the seat where it rubs.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
I'm wondering where you guys are sitting on the seats? It's almost as if most of your body weight is on the front half of the seat bucket, pushing the font of the seat down onto the tank. When my stock seat was on my bike, there was about 1/4 of an inch gap between the bottom of the seat and the tank. I could push the front of the seat down onto the tank fairly easily with direct pressure on the front of the seat over the tank, but when I'm sitting on the seat, there's still that gap. I always would put my rear as far back into the seat bucket as I could, and there was always a little of the seat separating me and the tank. And always had the gap. Again, after over 18k on the odometer, not a rub one on the tank. If this is the case, maybe your "butt placement" in the bucket is why you find the stock seat so unbearable? I dunno...

·
VRAC Nation President, BOTM Winner Sept. 2013 & No
122 Posts
hmm which mustang seat? Mine isn't worse, its about the same as stock, less with the bib of course I have the wide touring seat.

If its a huge issue you might consider gluing on some soft felt to the seat where it rubs.
I have the wide touring as well, I am having some 3m tape put over the paint as I have a custom paint job.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have the wide touring as well, I am having some 3m tape put over the paint as I have a custom paint job.
I was gonna mention that, but it will do the same thing, but, its better than ruining custom paint... i think..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts