Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am going on a long distance ride this summer with a group of friends. We are meeting up in the Ozarks for a week of good times. First day ride will be 8 hrs. I've no complaints about my seat and my riding position is much improved since I added the mini floor boards. That said, I'd like to be prepared. I've thought about getting the corbin, but am not really keen on spending 750 for a seat and backrest. Have any of you used a back brace for long rides? Several of my friends use them. Am thinking of getting one like this. Would appreciate feedback.

https://smile.amazon.com/Back-Line-MotoSport-Leatherette-Orthopedic/dp/B078H671FF/ref=sr_1_17?crid=2Q9E6OO2PAIIK&keywords=motorcycle+back+brace&qid=1558102019&s=gateway&sprefix=motorcycle+back+bra,aps,225&sr=8-17&th=1

·
Registered
140 Posts
I haven't used a back brace or what we used to call "kidney belt" but I can tell you that the Corbin seat is well worth the investment. At best I was able to get a half hour on the stock seat before I had to get off and walk around. Two hour rides on the Corbin are virtually pain free.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Sorry, no back brace used here. But, if you are already happy with the stock seat, maybe no reason to change? What's the longest day you've had on it? Make a decision from there.

I did not like the contour of the stock seat from the start, so I customized a Corbin, but no back rest. But, the softness/firmness of the seat is pretty much the same as the stock seat, at least to my butt. :) It was the improved contour that made the difference for me.

The Ozarks will be a wonderful trip, enjoy!

·
Registered
494 Posts
I have lower back issues from a car accident many years ago but even on a 10 hour ride my back has not bothered me to the point where I've considered a brace but it might not be a bad idea. My recommendation is to get one and give it a try. IMO if you're concerned about your lower back on the long rides then better to buy one and find you don't need it than to not get one and wish you had...especially at only $60.

Good luck.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I used a tail bag that was packed full and served as a lower back rest. Helped some. I just rode from Texas to South Carolina yesterday. Butt hurt but a quick stop and hop off the bike helped when the pain got tough.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Old Fart comment

My height ( or lack thereof ) has had an influence on my decision for a seat. The bike came with the mid-reach which was ok but since I'm 5'2" :surprise: I found a reduced reach which I sent to Mean City Cycles. That has worked pretty good usually the first day I do over 200 miles It becomes comfortable but by day two it is usually ok.The longest one day distance I have logged on the S is about 350 miles . that said on these days I am usually in the mountains doing a LOT of shifting in the seat due to the terrain. :grin2:
I did have a Corbin which I did not ever do a long trip on. I resold it primarily because it seemed wider at the front and lessened my ability to flat foot the bike. Which for me is a big issue. Also Wes_ben you look to be about 120 or less so you would probably be ok sitting on a brick :devil2:. So like Chris said ride it and find out if you need to change.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I saw a Corbin with backrest go on eBay for $325 a couple of months ago. Make sure you keep your eyes peeled. If you get one for a good price you could easily resell it for the same if not more money, if you decide you don't like it.

I wouldn't sleep on it if you do find a good used one. They go quick.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I contacted mean city about redoing a seat (I have both an extended and a mid reach, they came with the bike), and they said they couldn’t properly do it due to the seat pan. 😕

·
Registered
76 Posts
For me, the problem with the stock seat was the crushing pain on my tailbone after an hour in the saddle. I don't see how a back brace would help with that. I tried an Airhawk for a season and that helped a bit, but not enough. I bought the Corbin last year and it was worth every penny.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Gonna try

Spencer did a great job modifying my standard seat...eliminated my tailbone issues and overall the seat was rendered far more comfortable.
The Mean City mod Did Help , HOWEVER since they would not add the gel I
have been emailing Spencer. He only does the Mid-reach seat. but I can slide back an inch if it will make my butt feel better:grin2:

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have both a mid reach and extended reach seat. I have a post on here where I took apart the mid reach seat and put many slices about an inch deep in the foam. I then put the cover back on and stapled it in place. It made a huge difference in the cushion effect and made my ride a bit smoother. Cheap and effective.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does anyone have any experience with a Russell Day Long seat? This is the response I got from them. But holy sh*t, they are expensive....$500. So if I spend that kind of money, do I just spend it on the Corbin? What worries me about the corbin is that they do have a reputation of being firm, like very firm and for a very long time (long break in). The plus with corbin is that i can also get a pricey back rest but...is that adjustable forward? Their description doesn't say.

Decisions, decisions. I might just try what Tracks650 did and slice up the foam in the mid reach seat.

and for reference, here is Russell's response

Yes, we can make you a seat that's significantly more comfortable than the stock seat. With our seat, you tend to lose some ground reach though. As long as that's not a problem, we can work with either seat pan.
Our seat is going to be wider and more supportive. I don't have a picture of that exact bike, but if you check out the Kawasaki gallery, the seat pans are very similar to the other 2 piece Vulcan seats. For back support, there isn't much that can be done if you have the solo front only seat. If you have the 2 up seat, we can either build in a small lumbar or add a driver backrest.
Please let me know if you have any further questions - Jay

Russell Cycle Products Inc
4917 Shasta Dam Blvd
Shasta Lake CA 96019
(800)432-9566/I]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Never tried a Russel, but I have had Corbins on 4 or 5 bikes and loved em. Tried a Sargents didn't like them as much as Corbins. Tried a greatdaytoride didn't do anything for me. Having said that what works for me will not work for everyone else. Corbins are hard and take a while to break in but their shape fits my butt perfectly. Soooo my recommendation is try to find someone with the seat you are interested in & see if you can try it for a while. Or as someone earlier said look for a used one that way you won't have too much tied up in it if it doesn't fit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Try an Air Hawk seat cushion, Did 10,000 miles, six week trip with no problems.
Also i tied my travel pack on the passenger seat with a boat seat cushion for padding and used it for a back rest. The combination worked great. I use it on all my trips.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have 3 Herniated discs and this got me through some long days! https://airhawk.net/ I managed a 750 mile run in one day from South Carolina to Upstate New York using one of these. I was not wanting to spend a ton of money on a custom seat because you never know how you will like until you've spent a lot of time on it and if it's not great you're not gettin' your money back. This air cushion is durable and adjustable not to mention affordable. The only thing I really need to point out is getting the right amount of air is tricky. I started with a lot of air in it and finally realized it only takes a small amount to get the perfect ride. I also used this on a ride from New York to Key West so with this you get a lot of bang for your buck, check out the reviews before making a final decision.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I got a Corbin and added the seat back later, I like the seat back a lot for long rides as I can lean back and have a different position for a while, makes a difference having different options while riding for long times.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts