Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,

I took my Custom out today after a rainstorm and got her good and dirty...perfect excuse to wash her, right?

When I took off the seat, I noticed that the fender was scratched. The scratches lined up with one of the plastic 'ribs' on the seat. Also, the lid for the tool kit had scratches, too.

Is this happening with anyone else's bike? I a big guy (6'3"/240#), but I dont feel like I'm _that_ big...

Suggested remedies? I was thinking of putting a thin piece of foam on that 'rib' so that something soft would be between the hard plastic of the seat and the fender...

Thanks!

-neil

·
Registered
39 Posts
The entire seat/mount and everything about these seats seem to be one of the vulcans week points. I've noticed some rubbing on the fender of mine already, and I've only got 500 miles on mine.

·
Registered
64 Posts
They all do this. Clear mylar in these areas works well and if trimmed right, isn't visible with the seat on.

·
Registered
782 Posts
They all do it regardless of brand or style of seat. The only remedy that makes any sense in the clear adhesive mylar or something similar. Clear coat is not the hardest of substances and even if you put foam there, dirt will get in and scratch the clear coat due to the vibration of the bike. Since it is under the seat, I don't worry about it. The worst thing would be if you switch to a solo seat after riding a 2-up seat for a while. The rear fender would probably show some scuffing where the solo seat doesn't cover.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK..thanks for the replies, guys!

I'll stop worrying about it and see if I can come about some clear mylar from a local body shop who has been good to me before.

And, since no one called me out for being a fattie, maybe I'll polish off this dozen doughnuts after all... :D

-neil

1 - 7 of 7 Posts