Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the look of spokes but hate the fact that you have to use tube type tires with them. I've read tube tires tend to go flat VERY fast if you get a hole in them where as tubeless tires go flat more slowly giving you time to get the bike stopped safely.

Has anyone had their spoke wheels sealed? Is there are particular process that's better than others? How expensive was it?

If it's too much I may consider alloy wheels.

Also, I suppose every time the spokes need adjustment that ruins the seal job.....right?

Your input is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I am wondering the identical thing.....I hate to have the bike completely laid up from a flat, what is up with the "tube tires" anyways.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haven't done it. But here's a how to: http://www.gadgetjq.com/tww.htm

I've thought about it. It seems like it'd be a lot easier to plug a flat on the road then patching a tube.
Looks like it's more work than it's worth, not to mention the procedure takes at least 3 days just to dry. Guess I better start saving for alloy wheels.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I wonder how ride-on compares to having to do this?

·
Registered
18 Posts
A lot of people swear by ride-on. But if you read through there web site their product is much less effective on tubes then tubeless tires. Tubes are thin lightweight rubber and when something puntures them it tends to rip them making a much larger hole then what's in the tire.

·
Registered
657 Posts
The biggest problem with sealing the rims is that if you ever need the spoke tension adjusted, you're screwed. I asked at three dealerships about the tube/tubeless and received the same answer. They almost never see a cruiser come in with a flat. I know that doesn't solve the problem, but I'm not going to spend over a grand for wheels because my tire might go flat. Besides, I like the chrome spoked wheels. They look well... Classic!!! I may try (haven't decided yet) the sealer just in case I pick up something small enough to self seal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts