Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Painting the gas cap? I've just about gotten rid of all the other chrome on the bike but was wondering if anybody has tried to black out the cap.

·
Registered
450 Posts
try plasti dip one of my favorite products out there, if you don't like it you can peel it away. Get the spray form not the actually dip home depot sells it for like $5 and it will last anything you cant just peel away use goo gone it comes right out. But it's very durable and dries a very nice flat black. I used it on my cars grill pieces to make them look like new again then I ended up getting carried away and plasti dipped a front bumper some side mirror covers and my euro plate telling ya I love the stuff.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have to prep the chrome with plasti dip?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
That stuff is good stuff. Just sprayed my mirrors now moving on to the cap. Great product!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This plasti dip is awesome. Looks like they came from the factory :)

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Painting the gas cap? I've just about gotten rid of all the other chrome on the bike but was wondering if anybody has tried to black out the cap.
]
I powder coated mine. You will have to take the cap apart completely in order to do the cover and the lock cover. The rest is left as is. I took many pics as I was taking it apart so I could put it back together. Practice on a wrist watch first LOL.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am doing the same with my 09 custom. Just purchased some smoke glass so that will help.... When you used plasti dip on the oil cover, what happens when you slide the cover to expose the key hole? Does it scratch what you just painted?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Hot dang, think I'll go get some. I don't have an SE but I have a problem four times a year with the sun blinding me from the speedo bezel and the Cobra Tachs chrome. Gets to the place I have to make a fist and put my nose in the middle of it to block the sun, otherwise I can't see anything. Problem is, kinda hard to hit the clutch or do emergency maneuvering that way too. I pretty much covered over the tach chrome with a dollar thermometer from Walmart. Just stuck it on.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am doing the same with my 09 custom. Just purchased some smoke glass so that will help.... When you used plasti dip on the oil cover, what happens when you slide the cover to expose the key hole? Does it scratch what you just painted?
No. Plasti dip is a rubber type "paint". No scratching what so ever. Still looks like new a couple months later.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just did this Sunday....sprayed several coats on the gas tank. I am impressed...it worked perfected, as advertised by you...ty.... Now I am thinking of doing more of it. I have thought of getting some sort of leather for the brake and clutch levers but this might actually work out better.... I need to think about it but I like it...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
plasti dip??? why... they have the black chrome kits at pep boys, wouldn't that look tons better??
No the plasti dip works awesome for me

·
Registered
976 Posts
Yowsa! I sprayed my bezel with plasti dip today and it DOES come out rather cool. Hit it a little heavy in one spot with the second coat, but that spot is facing forward so no big deal. I should have bought a piece of textured fabric and waitied just till it was about to set up, then embossed a leather pattern into it. I don't think you would know it wasn't the same material as my Tank Bib. Gonna clean that up tomorrow, give it a fresh coat of black wax and then mount the Bezel back on. Won't be blinded by the son any more I tell ya. I need to look for a different thermometer to put on the bike and then tape and spray the Tachometer with the stuff. It's just like the black, anti-glare that fighters like the P-51, 47, 38, and so forth had. And like I said, it doesn't look a hole heckuva lot different then the bib.

I'll see if I can get a picture and show you what I mean.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yowsa! I sprayed my bezel with plasti dip today and it DOES come out rather cool. Hit it a little heavy in one spot with the second coat, but that spot is facing forward so no big deal. I should have bought a piece of textured fabric and waitied just till it was about to set up, then embossed a leather pattern into it. I don't think you would know it wasn't the same material as my Tank Bib. Gonna clean that up tomorrow, give it a fresh coat of black wax and then mount the Bezel back on. Won't be blinded by the son any more I tell ya. I need to look for a different thermometer to put on the bike and then tape and spray the Tachometer with the stuff. It's just like the black, anti-glare that fighters like the P-51, 47, 38, and so forth had. And like I said, it doesn't look a hole heckuva lot different then the bib.

I'll see if I can get a picture and show you what I mean.
Stuff is addicting isnt it :D

·
Registered
450 Posts
Ya when I found this stuff I got pretty obsessed I wouldn't recommend doing your levers or areas that you touch or rub often it will peel off

·
Registered
273 Posts
nry mr. clean it looks good but have you seen an eyebrow shield fro the top of the speedometer to keep the glare off of the inside of the windscreen. cant find one for the 900. sorry to highjack the thread.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts