Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some advice needed please.
I currently run a 9 inch screen on my voyager custom (vaquero) from cee baileys

The screen itself is first class and well made.

I am 6'3" and although the screen is better than the original, I still suffer buffeting at anything over 50mph, worse in a headwind.

About to order a new one from the same company, don't know whether to go 11 inch or 13 inch. Anyone with my height any experience please. I want a perfectly still ride so I can enjoy my music on long journeys.

I've done the whole string and measure thing, and the 13 comes out just about level with my nose, but it does seem high.

ALL advice appreciated on this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Screen Height, Vaquero

I had same issue with my Vaquero, went to a local shop here in Enid and had a windshield custom made for my height.....cost was minimal (much less then any windshield on the market) and I am very happy with it. It is about same height as the oem windshield on the 900 LT. Total cost was less than $100. Very happy camper, have over 8000 highway miles and can listen to the radio with minimal wind noise at 80 MPH.

·
Registered
637 Posts
As far as I'm aware the Cee Bailey shields don't have a "recurve" trailing edge?

If you're experiencing buffeting with it now - I'm not sure why you'd replace it with another one the same... I have a Wind Vest 12" screen on my Voyager, and previously had a similar recurve screen (a Clearview) on my Nomad.

I'd never go back to a screen without that deflection at the top. No more buffeting at all for the rider, and much minimized for the pillion. I preferred the Clearview, and will try one next time I need a screen on the Voyager.

Wind Vest do a 10" and less if you want a short one.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as I'm aware the Cee Bailey shields don't have a "recurve" trailing edge?

If you're experiencing buffeting with it now - I'm not sure why you'd replace it with another one the same... I have a Wind Vest 12" screen on my Voyager, and previously had a similar recurve screen (a Clearview) on my Nomad.

I'd never go back to a screen without that deflection at the top. No more buffeting at all for the rider, and much minimized for the pillion. I preferred the Clearview, and will try one next time I need a screen on the Voyager.

Wind Vest do a 10" and less if you want a short one.
A higher screen, not one the same.

I am not a fan of radical screen shapes and designs.

·
Registered
637 Posts
A higher screen, not one the same.

I am not a fan of radical screen shapes and designs.
Sorry... I saw you were going higher after I posted.

I'm not a fan of radical designs myself - I'd never put a Klock Werks shield on there for sure. The Clearview & Wind Vest are very much more restrained though, with just the slightest ramp at the top edge of the screen. Clearview do a vent as well, which is supposed to lessen the pressure behind the screen to further reduce buffeting. I'll probably try one of those next time, though you'd need to be sure of the size, since you could no longer cut them down from the bottom.

I like the look of shorter screens, and being able to look well over the top of them. The recurve sends the air wave about 2" higher than normal screens do, and also through their shape provide a bit more torsional rigidity - they seem less inclined to shake in high wind.

I'm a convert... as you can tell :)

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I have a 14" dark tint rifle screen I put on my Voyager from time to time and I see over it fine. I think dark tint or layering a clear with dark tint in front work well on the vaquero and voyager.
If you get the taller shield and find it a tad too tall, you can cut the bottom and redrill the holes which keeps the finished look of the shield.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 14" dark tint rifle screen I put on my Voyager from time to time and I see over it fine. I think dark tint or layering a clear with dark tint in front work well on the vaquero and voyager.
If you get the taller shield and find it a tad too tall, you can cut the bottom and redrill the holes which keeps the finished look of the shield.
Nope, not possible on the Cee Baileys shields. They are made thicker at the bottom to avoid using that stupid metal strip. So you can't cut the bottom of the shield off.

I have ordered a 13" in light tint. If I need it darker 3/4 of the way up I will get some tint film from Halfords. It's a full 4" taller than my current screen and should be fine.

Thanks to all that posted.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Went with a Wind Vest recurved shield from a Cee Bailey's and now buffeting gone. The recurve did the trick for me.
:D

·
Registered
14 Posts
For others who visit this thread in the future...
I'm 5' 11" and I bought a 14" Rifle windshield for my 2012 Vaquero. I now wish it was about 13" tall instead of 14". The wind block is awesome! (no buffeting) but the top edge hits my line of sight. I'll probably trim it in the future.

·
Registered
637 Posts
For others who visit this thread in the future...
I'm 5' 11" and I bought a 14" Rifle windshield for my 2012 Vaquero. I now wish it was about 13" tall instead of 14". The wind block is awesome! (no buffeting) but the top edge hits my line of sight. I'll probably trim it in the future.
Easy enough to trim an inch off the bottom? Just so you don't have to mess with the shape and finish so much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts