Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently replaced the rear wheel, bearings, and spacers. Then went on a 2000 mile mnt trip pretty hard riding on the way home i notice a screeching sound kinda like a bearing going bad, but only happens when i am in the throttle and the clutch is engaged if i feather the clutch and throttle it does not happen and if i am in the throttle with clutch engage then pull in on the clutch lever it immediately stops, so it has to be something after the clutch, when i am riding is sounds like its coming from the final drive prior to the rear wheel.
Has anyone had anything like this or solve this problem?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Beyond the belt mentioned twice, I know of one person on hear that stripped the splines from the jack shaft and drive pulley. I do not think it would make any noise that would be described as a screech, probably more grinding and significant power loss to the rear wheel.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Just remembered, I have heard some noises coming from the rubbers in a hub cush drive if they are not properly lubricated before reassembly as you would have had yours apart to have the bearings replaced.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just remembered, I have heard some noises coming from the rubbers in a hub cush drive if they are not properly lubricated before reassembly as you would have had yours apart to have the bearings replaced.
Hmmm. Well i was not aware they were to be lubricated, and as i remember they were dry to the touch. What kind of lubrication should be used on them.

But i am going to try to tighen the belt a little at lunch and see what happens, before i take the wheel off again.

·
Registered
702 Posts
While both the hex nut and pin are unmoved, if not tightened enough, the spacers WILL turn in place, generating a noise you will hear. I use a sharpie to mark the spacers each time I mount a new tire. If the spacers roll over, it's easily visible.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
While both the hex nut and pin are unmoved, if not tightened enough, the spacers WILL turn in place, generating a noise you will hear. I use a sharpie to mark the spacers each time I mount a new tire. If the spacers roll over, it's easily visible.
Ah ya i did not even think of that. i will take a look.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so I tightened the belt a very little bit, but when i went to loosen the nut it was barley hand tight so i figure that was the issue. when i put it all back together i tightened the nut tighter where 1/4 of the pin hole is past the face of the nut.

Rode it to work sounds amazing no screeming.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
to tighten the belt, you would FIRST need to loosen the hex nut, unless it's so loose the wheel moves backwards without loosening it.
Correct, what i was saying when i went to tighten the belt, i went to loosen the nut first and it was so loose it was barley hand tight. the belt had a little play in it could push it may be 1/2 to 3/4" up or down. so i tightened it up a little, and tightened the nut to where the pin hole is about a 1/4 hole past the face of the nut.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Glad to hear it sounds like it's resolved. Anyway, the grease most often used is a heavy moly compatible with rubber so as to allow things to slide together and seat correctly instead of binding one or more of the rubbers causing premature wear and sometimes a squeak/screech noise.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts