Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I've become more comfortable with the bike I'm finding it very easy to drag the kickstand on left hand turns. I feel like I could lean the bike over quite a bit more, but the stand is getting in the way. I do try to scoot over a bit on the seat to help, but it's not the easiest thing to do on this type of bike.

Anyone else experience this and better yet find a way to resolve it?

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Adding preload to the rear suspention helped me prevent this on my 800b. Watch you kick stand where the spring attaches, this wore down enough that the spring would not stay on and wore the end of the spring that I had to replace both to keep the stand up when riding. Also if your front springs are sagging, replacing the helps too.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
133 Posts
As I've become more comfortable with the bike I'm finding it very easy to drag the kickstand on left hand turns. I feel like I could lean the bike over quite a bit more, but the stand is getting in the way. I do try to scoot over a bit on the seat to help, but it's not the easiest thing to do on this type of bike.

Why in God's name would you want to?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How are you scraping the kickstand without scraping the pegs? Inshould think that is impossible?
Plus 1 one what Steve said.
I'm definitely not scraping the pegs. I'm curious now as to whether or not my kickstand is retracting completely (I do feel some bind when operating it). I'll have to get someone to sit on the bike so I can take a look at it.

Adding preload to the rear suspention helped me prevent this on my 800b. Watch you kick stand where the spring attaches, this wore down enough that the spring would not stay on and wore the end of the spring that I had to replace both to keep the stand up when riding. Also if your front springs are sagging, replacing the helps too.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I'll have to look into both. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Take a close look at this picture: https://bikerbillsvulcan500rebuild.shutterfly.com/39 Notice that the sidestand stem is worn about half way through.

Scraping the sidestand before the pegs might happen if the rear suspension preload is low or the cargo/rider weight is high.

My suggestion is to either not lean so much when turning or increase the rear suspension preload.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone for the insight! I've only had the bike for a few weeks and just recently got a copy of the owner's manual. Adjusting the rear suspension preload seems to have done the trick. It was at the OEM setting of 2. I'm 6'0 and 250lbs so obviously it wasn't a the right fit. I bumped it up to 5 and the bike feels great now. It handles bumps much better and feels even more nimble and eager to turn. The rear tire is much more planted as I lean into a corner now.

Thanks to this forum I've also sorted out the battery connection problem.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Might check your rear tire pressure as well. If I am reading you correctly you maxed out the preload (set it all the way) I am 235lbs and run in the middle setting with 32lbs in the rear tire.

·
Registered
34 Posts

You don't have to scoot off the seat all that much. Lean forward a tad, turn your head and move your upper body toward the mirror. Lean your body, keeping your back aligned as best you can. If you are doing it right, the only thing that happens in the seat is your butt cheek will come up on the opposite side. Counter steering helps too. This will help you turn the bike while decreasing the lean angle.

I scrape the kickstand too, because mine was dropped by the PO and something down there isn't quite right. I've not gotten around to messing with it as of yet because it doesn't bother me that bad, especially since I started turning with my body and less lean. Now I only scrape when taking very tight low speed turns and the occasional speed bump.

Interestingly enough the other day pulling into work I did drag the peg feeler on the right side. Guess I was going in a little hot!
:devil2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts