Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sort of new to the cruising bike community having just purchased a Vulcan 900. I've noticed that it's pretty easy to scrape my footpeg/running board against the pavement during relatively easy turns. I was wondering how the community deals with this. Is this something that can be corrected somehow or do I just live with it and try and take it easy in the turns? Thank you.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
The bike rides pretty low so once you get comfortable with the handling, it's not uncommon to scrape. The pegs have that little nub that sticks down on them so you're not really going to hurt them any.

I'm trying to be conscious of my right turns though... i've scraped the exhaust a few times and i don't want to wear the metal through on it. Trouble is, the bike just handles so darn nice.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
AAAK! both of you.....Yes...take it easier in the turns...!

The peg scrape is a warning not to lean any further.... the 'correction' is to straighten out your curve a bit...or lean your body weight into the turn which changes your center of gravity and tips the bike itself a bit upward.... however....

I think you should not routinely drag your peg or scrape a muffler (!) especially if 'new' to cruisers. These are not sport bikes. Pegs wear off...and frame elements do not tip upward a bit like a the peg on the underside of the floorboard will. If you keep scraping the peg then it goes away and you scrape floorboard. Replace your peg button as it wears down.

Also, the worst event would be to hit a minor uneven spot in the corner while dragging a frame element and lift your rear wheel ....break its traction... and down you go.....

I'm sort of new to the cruising bike community having just purchased a Vulcan 900. I've noticed that it's pretty easy to scrape my footpeg/running board against the pavement during relatively easy turns. I was wondering how the community deals with this. Is this something that can be corrected somehow or do I just live with it and try and take it easy in the turns? Thank you.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Dude!!!
Maybe it was a little to early in life to switch to a cruiser. I've only scraped twice. Once was in a curve where the pavement angled away from the direction of turn and the other was an "OH SHIT" moment when a curve caught me napping.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Three of my co-workers have dumped their bikes this summer. One te-boned a drunk driver in New Mexico that ran a stop sign. Three months later she is still in the hospital with near term memory loss. The other two were self inflicted because they drug their pegs. One is back to work now, his leg still healing from the broken ankle. He is still unable to ride. The other one happened about four weeks ago. He drug his taking the twisties in a Utah canyon too fast. He is still in the hospital. They are still not sure if they can save his foot. It was nearly removed in the accident. Soooo, take it easy in the curves.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Yeah, I dragged my peg last weekend pretty good, and I had to tell myself to slow down. I told myself it's a CRUISER, I bought it to cruise, not go balls out in the twisties, although the damn thing does handle good!:D

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have Vance and Hines pipes fitted and have never scraped 1 up. However last weekend I was 2 up and scraped twice on long curve roundabouts which had opposite camber on them. We both agreed that I was not going too hard or leaning over too hard. Any suggestions? I am checking the suspension today and will wind it up to see if that works. Any other suggestions? I have never scraped the foot plates. The exhaust may need to be changed as it is a bit loud. The sound does not get left behind when I accelerate and my ears are ringing after a short ride.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
... I am checking the suspension today and will wind it up to see if that works. Any other suggestions? ...
Stiffening the suspension two or three notches should do the trick for you. A rider adds a fair amount of weight right over the tire, so losing some ground clearance has to be expected.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I recently scrapped for the first time on my 900 custom and it wasn't the peg that scrapped.. it was the lower exhaust pipe. My bike is stock and we were riding two up on a nicely banked twisty mountain road.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Mid corner bumps and off camber turns can let you scrape much sooner than normal. The cure is to raise you preload on the rear shock, and, or slow down some. I have already replaced my kick stand because the peg where the spring attaches was wore down so much the spring would not stay on. Also the feelers on the bottom of the pegs because they were wore completely down. If your dragging, you have pretty much reached the limit of your bike, after all its a cruiser.

·
Registered
83 Posts
AAAK! both of you.....Yes...take it easier in the turns...!

The peg scrape is a warning not to lean any further.... the 'correction' is to straighten out your curve a bit...or lean your body weight into the turn which changes your center of gravity and tips the bike itself a bit upward.... however....
Dude, you need to relax. You have plenty of traction left when you are scraping your pegs. The center of gravity is pretty low on your cruiser, so scraping the boards is not that big a deal.

Doc

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
im pretty sure tallANNIE is not a dude.......

·
Registered
83 Posts
im pretty sure tallANNIE is not a dude.......
Maybe it's TAL-Lannie? :p

Regardelss, my point still stands. Most people will run out of courage before they run out of traction. I scrape the boards all the time and have never felt a slide or out of control for a second.

Doc

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've dragged pegs on either side of my Custom maybe 15 or 20 times, but I haven't done it for the last few months although I haven't slowed down. I think I've just altered my turning style with more body leaning and less countersteering. These bikes have reasonable ground clearance for cruisers -- try an XV950 if you really want to know about scraping.

I've scraped pegs on all my previous bikes, including a CBR600 and a ZZ-R600, and never had an accident or even a hairy moment that way. But it can happen -- the guy who sold me my Custom told me that one of his colleagues was on his way to a demo day on one and a peg got caught in a pothole. The bike went down and spun on its pipes, which had to be replaced. But if you have footboards I doubt that could happen.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hmmm I have raised the spring preset from mid range to maximum and gained an extra 2.5cm height unloaded. An extra 1.5cm with my weight on it and only .5cm when my partner is on. The Vance and Hines do sit lower than the original. My partner has not been cracking me on the helmet saying I am going too quick or leaning too much so it must be the pipes are too low as I have never got close to scraping the foot plates. When I figure out how to load a picture to the forum I will.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Question,

Isnt it easier to scrape boards then pegs? I know that I take turns fairly aggressively "in my mind at least", and I have only scraped the pegs on my bike 2x. Once in a parking lot when I snapped the bike into a turn at low speed, the other when making a left hand turn while cresting a hill. And both times it startled the bajesus outa me.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Hmmm I have raised the spring preset from mid range to maximum and gained an extra 2.5cm height unloaded. An extra 1.5cm with my weight on it and only .5cm when my partner is on. The Vance and Hines do sit lower than the original. My partner has not been cracking me on the helmet saying I am going too quick or leaning too much so it must be the pipes are too low as I have never got close to scraping the foot plates. When I figure out how to load a picture to the forum I will.

Rowdi, some of the guys with more knowledge will probably correct me on this, but here i go...

I don't think that the adjustment to the suspension is so much to gain height, but rather to stiffen up the shock, which would add more pressure as the spring/shock compress. It may show up initially as an increase in clearance, but should be more noticeable in the stiffness of the ride.

I have stock pipes, but i've lowered my bike by about 2", so i have to be careful about not being too aggressive in right-hand turns. I don't mind scraping a peg, but like you, i don't think much of dragging the pipe.

If the Vance and Hines are indeed lower than the stock pipes (and/or if your bike has been lowered) scraping your pipe with a passenger may just something that you'll have to be conscious of and try to avoid.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Dude, you need to relax. You have plenty of traction left when you are scraping your pegs. The center of gravity is pretty low on your cruiser, so scraping the boards is not that big a deal.

Doc
Actually, not only is Annie not a dude, but her comment was made back in 2009, so i think she's had plenty of time to relax.

Rowdi resurrected an old thread.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Right hand roundabouts are normal for us Aussies. It can't happen in the states as you drive on the wrong side of the road.He He!
I am still considering changing my pipes over. Some have suggested going to a two into one system or changing the shock over to a progressive adjustment style.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts