Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been putting a knee down on sport bikes for last 4 years or so....its taken me a little longer to be confident enough on the Vulcan to push hard into a turn. Twice now I've scraped something on the right side....both times pulled the right peg up and looked at the feeler gauge nothing...so this evening was cleaning the bike all up and started looking around and noticed it was the lower exhaust pipe dragging!! I'm not that happy about this...thats some nice chrome I'm leaving behind!! The pipes are cobra speedster longs....any one else experienced this?? Any thing i can do to prevent this???

Going to the Smoky mountains next weekend and will be riding The Dragon be nice I didn't have to worry about this!

Here is a video of one of the scraps its around the 5:45-6min mark

http://youtu.be/JKprfqboz_g

·
Registered
117 Posts
Any thing i can do to prevent this???

Going to the Smoky mountains next weekend and will be riding The Dragon be nice I didn't have to worry about this!

Here is a video of one of the scraps its around the 5:45-6min mark

http://youtu.be/JKprfqboz_g
All I can suggest is to take it easier on the turns. :D

·
Registered
117 Posts
I guess the key is to keep it more on the bottom half of the pipes, and not the top half.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Enjoy the smokey mountains next weekend!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I love the look and sound of the Cobra Longs and the Hard Krome 3" pipes but I read a lot of reviews about them dragging and getting rammed into things while walking the bike backwards. That led me to go with the Slashdowns instead. While I haven't scraped them yet, I have come close, as shown in the picture below from Deal's Gap. I don't know what can be done to prevent it other than not leaning so much, and let's be real, that just ain't gonna happen. I don't know if you could replace the bottom heat shield but if so I'm sure it would still be pretty expensive.

Hope you have fun next week and I'll be anxiously waiting for some pictures.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I know there are several shops in the city that will re-chrome items that are sent to them, but I've never looked at prices, and I'm sure it isn't cheap. The other option might be to somehow rig up a "wear or scrape" plate like they have on cages. Even if it only bolted onto the frame you could then replace as needed and save the pipes.

·
Registered
430 Posts
My Slash Cuts do the same and I have them lowered 2".

That's a cool video.
Where did you mount the camera? I have a similar video but I attached the camera to my big air kit and it was vibrating too much so the video looks shaky...

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I'm running stock pipes so I'm wondering what the difference here is. I've compared images of the stock bike and the speedster longs. The speedsters don't appear to be any lower than the stockers. Do the hang out further? I've dragged pegs plenty of times on my custom but my pipes don't look like they've scraped. So where is the geometry different?

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
On my 800 the bottom muffler is flat about 3 inches across it with hollow stock pipes. Haven't heard anyone mention tightening the preload on the rear shock yet, wont sag as much and will tighten the ride.The lower it is, the easier it will drag.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
The Speedsters, both the Longs and Slashdowns, do sit a little lower than the stock pipes. With the Longs, the lower pipe also sticks out a lot farther than the lower stock pipe which doesn't help either.

In these two pictures you can see that the rear axle nut is visible with the Cobras but the gap between the bottom of the rim and the bottom edge of the exhaust is much smaller. Also if you look at the floorboards you can see a little bit of difference. I had planned on lowering my bike but when I saw that picture from Deal's Gap I completely scrapped that idea.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Alright fellas, I`ve been meaning to post this for a while now. My custom is lowered 3" with slash cut staggereds. I made a modification that completely stopped the pipe dragging issue. Heres the deal...the mounting flanges on the head pipes are not fixed(welded), so you can actually swivel the pipes up and down a ton while their not mounted to the rear bracket and loose at the jugs. Take the rear bracket and with a rat tail file or a dremel, elongate the holes so that you can reposition the bracket in a way that lifts the pipes up higher. I left the bracket/pipes attatched loosely and moved them upward so I could see which way to move the holes. After a few tries, I got them where they needed to be. Made all the difference in the world, they even look better because with the bike lowered, the pipes are more level. I haven`t scraped the pipes once since the mod, and that was 2 yrs ago. I think this should work with most of the pipes on our 9`s, even the stockers. With the stockers, would need to shim the bracket. CStrong, the only issue I can see with yours, is the fact that your shotgun style pipes may wind up uneven. What the hell, loosen every thing up and move it around, may work! Best part....Free! No parts, just a little elbow grease and some trial/error. For those afraid to lower your 9 for fear of dragging pipes, this is the answer, and it easy as hell to do. Get hacking fellas!! Hope this helps someone

1 - 20 of 34 Posts