Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently retired my second EXO-400 in favor of an EXO-1000. When thinking about the 1000 compared to my other helmets, the first word that comes to mind is QUIET. I wear an XL in both models. The 1000 is slightly bigger overall but they both fit about the same. I can actually put my 400 in its original box, then put that in the 1000’s box.

Advantages (1000 over 400):
-QUIETER. Even with all the vents open, I get much less noise in the helmet. I don’t feel like I need earplugs with it. It’s also much easier to hear my headset (thought headset installation was a disadvantage).
-Better airflow. I’m not sure why the chin vent is designed the way it is. Instead of sliding up or down, it just pops “out” so it moves forward away from the helmet. Otherwise, plenty of air in and around the head compared to the 400.
-Internal sun visor. It seems like with most of these they don’t come down far enough or are too light. Don’t get me wrong, I would like for this one to come down just a hair lower or be just a shade darker but I’ll consider it an advantage anyway because for me the convenience outweighs these drawbacks.
-The faceshield has a lever which will lock it closed or can be rotated to allow the faceshield to be cracked slightly open to prevent fogging. The 1000 also has a lip on each side to open it with your thumb, while the 400 only has one on the left side.

Disadvantages:
-The 1000 is heavier. I’ve worn 400s almost exclusively since I started riding so I’m used to some weight. The 1000 adds a little bit more. Not enough to be a deal breaker, but if you have a noodle neck it may be.
-Vertical field of vision seems to be slightly smaller. I can still see fine but I notice the top of the 1000 much more than I did with the 400. I guess you could turn this into an advantage if you were riding directly into the sun and wanted to put your head down to help block the sun.
-Chin skirt is pretty flimsy. I bought one for my 400 which held its shape well and did a good job of keeping noise and air out. The 1000 comes with a smaller, lightweight skirt that really doesn’t so much. The Scala Q2 Pro has auto volume adjustment based on wind noise, and if I move my head around while riding, the mic will pick up the changes and adjust the volume up or down even if my speed doesn’t change. It just senses different levels of noise and compensates for it because the chin skirt is flopping around.
-The back of the helmet seems to sit lower so it hits my jacket collar earlier. I’m sure this is something I’ll get used to, but for now occasionally I force my head backwards to mash the collar down.
-Headset installation was tougher. I got it done but invented a few new curse words in the process. Getting the speakers in was easy, as the 1000 has a better (to me) liner and I could just stick the speakers to it. Attaching the actual clamp with the boom was not quite as easy. I pretty much had to just pry the foam away from the shell and force the clamp in that way as it was too thick to just clamp onto everything.
-The air bladder pump sits right where I like my mic so I had to move the mic around and make sure they wouldn’t interfere with each other.
-The faceshield doesn’t have as many detents as the 400.

Side by side (The 400 is the black Octane, the 1000 is silver):

400 Chin skirt:

1000 Chin skirt:

Chin vent:

Internal sun visor:

Face shields (400 at first detent, 1000 in cracked position):

Mic:

That’s a quick list after a few days of riding with it. I haven’t rain tested it to see how bad it leaks. I also haven’t really messed with the air bladder system. My new 1000 is a closeout from STG (just like my last 400 was) and I wish I had tried one of these helmets sooner. I believe I have a more round head, at least according to most of the helmet guides I’ve found online. When shopping for a new helmet I knew I wanted a full face and this one looks like it will do the trick.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Thanks for the detailed comparison! I have a Scorpion helmet now (400 I think) and will check out the 1000 later.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I have a scorpion 900, love it. Just installed some speakers inside the helmet (3 Dollar speakers Wally world) and a Ipod attached to helmet. Nice Sound !!. Love the helmet , Easy to put on and remove, the modular is also awsome

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 900 certainly has my attention. I don't know that I'll ever NOT want a good full face helmet but I wouldn't mind having a 3/4 for hot weather or short rides. I need to try one on and maybe I'll go for it.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
The 900 certainly has my attention. I don't know that I'll ever NOT want a good full face helmet but I wouldn't mind having a 3/4 for hot weather or short rides. I need to try one on and maybe I'll go for it.
Well the 900is a good helmet, I bought mine from rider2rider for half price last years model

I like I can make it a 3/4 and still have the protection

1 - 5 of 5 Posts