Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI Guys. For those who would like to gear down their 1700's, Scootworks is planning on developing an under drive pulley for the 1700. Here is their response to my email inquiry.

"We do have this on the list for development. We're currently completing several other new products, and should begin work on this in the coming months.

Sincerely,
Scootworks Sales "

·
Registered
636 Posts
With the history of scoot works the pulley will not work right or take 6 months to get it. If its anything like the sorry excuse for risers they sent me.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Doesn't the 1700 have 6 gears? If so, there really isn't a need to gear it down, is there? I rode a Vaq and was comfortable cruising 75 in 4th gear.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Definitely seems like a strange idea for a product; are you sure they didn't misunderstand you and thought you mean 'OVERdrive'?

Why not just run it in a lower gear? Pretend you don't have a 6th?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Good Lord, where does it all end....pulley's/taller tire for the 9, Euro gears for the 2000, pulley's for the 17.....lol. Half of you guys should just buy a busa and get it over with....lol.

OH....ON THAT NOTE!!!!!!!I met a guy at the coffee shop outside of town riding a Busa......that isn't anything bizarre....but, here's the caveat....he was 81!!!!!!!!
He had a full face helmet, leather jacket with the fringes.....spent most of his time talking about his 45 Harley with the suicide shift that he bought for 75 dollars! He still drove truck for a living until he walked out last week because they weren't paying him enough. Man, what a character! He blasted off on that rocket like he was 21!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I don't see the need either, however I received one of the early renditions of their overdrive pulley on my 07 900 and it worked very well.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Now I've seen just about everything. I can't wait to get the bike out of first into second. First pulls like a tractor. You must be wanting to haul a big trailer to lower the gearing.

The 1700s are definitely not bikes you want to slow cruise on. You will fry your legs slow cruising on these big engines.

Good luck with that.

·
Registered
186 Posts
At first I did not think this was a good idea, but maybe it is. Although i think first is plentlly low, but I never ride two up. 6th gear is plenty high and do not use it a lot. However an underdrive may allow it to be used more. Since I do not have a tach do not know where my rpm is. Believe top end is limited by horsepower, not rpm. With less engine load fifth and sixth may pull better. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sounds like a good thing to me, considering our top speed limit in Australia is 68 mph unless you live in the Northern territory then they can do about 80 mph.
Here in Oz we spend a lot of our time riding at speeds of between 50 & 68 mph, not really suited to the long stroke motor of the 1700.
The times I have screwed the throttle right out makes me wish I lived in the U.S., it would be awesome to be able to ride around at higher speeds that are suited to this big engine.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Sounds like a good thing to me, considering our top speed limit in Australia is 68 mph unless you live in the Northern territory then they can do about 80 mph.
Here in Oz we spend a lot of our time riding at speeds of between 50 & 68 mph, not really suited to the long stroke motor of the 1700.
The times I have screwed the throttle right out makes me wish I lived in the U.S., it would be awesome to be able to ride around at higher speeds that are suited to this big engine.
It's about the same here. 70mph is the interstate speed limit most places, with a handful of places being 75mph. Sounds like we're not going any faster than you are. In many states the interstate speed limit is 65.

In rural areas most roads are 55 miles an hour, except for the interstate highway.

I still don't get why you need an underdrive pulley and you can't just run one gear lower. Oh well, guess if I don't get it I just don't get it! lol.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Obviously all of our bikes have different gearing because I am in 6th gear at 50mph. and there's no way I would run 60mph. in 4th (maybe shift out of 4th at 60)

·
Registered
170 Posts
I guess if you only want 1 overdrive gear ok

A underdrive pully?

I guess that would make 5th gear a regular 1 to 1 and
6th gear being our only overdrive gear.

Personally I the two overdrives as my 1700 VV is a hiway cruiser not a boulivard red light/green light chaser.

Maybe the 1700 clasics and Vaqueros will want more speed light to light but I dont see the need on the VV.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Obviously all of our bikes have different gearing because I am in 6th gear at 50mph. and there's no way I would run 60mph. in 4th (maybe shift out of 4th at 60)
You might be able to get away with that in IL, but not in hill country. I might get into 6th at 60 once in a while but usually I reserve 6th for the interstate.

These Voyagers can cruise at 45 mph all day long and get great fuel economy at 45 mph. When you get up to 80 mph the fuel economy drops off dramatically.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I don't hit 6th until about 70mph, which is an actual of about 65mph according to my iPhone. And that is the earliest I would hit 6th. That usually puts me at ~2500 rpm in 6th. What RPMs are you guys shifting into 6th at? Once I hit ~3k in 5th I hit 6th gear if I'm on the highway.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I just don't see the need for changing the gearing at all. The bike has good accelaration from 1st and 6th keeps the engine running at decent rpms at highway speeds. Lets face it. Its a big heavy cruiser/tourer. Its not a hard accelerating sport bike. I lije mine the way it is!

·
Registered
636 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts