Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got these risers installed tonight. They're about as short as you can get for risers, giving approximately 1 3/4" rise and 1 1/2" pullback, but my short test trip seems to indicate that they're almost a perfect fit for me.

Installation was relatively easy, especially considering that I did it alone. It took me about 45 minutes to do the job. I didn't adjust the handlebars though, leaving them as they were originally.

It's a simple process, remove 2 14mm nuts from the bottom of the handlebar holders and pull out the handlebars. Screw the risers onto the factory bolts, hand tight. Position the risers over the holes and install 2 17mm bolts that are provided by Scootworks. Done. No need to fuss with the cables.

I must say that, while I really like them so far, it bothers me more than a little, that the risers are only tightened hand tight to the bottom of the original handlebar holders. I can envision running down I-94 at 70mph and find myself holding the handlebars up in the air....... :eek: The instructions are very specific on that though. Hand tight, as tight as you can, but no tools. I assume that they know what they're doing.

I took it out for a quick spin in a local mall parking lot. One of the reasons that I wanted the risers was to make slow, sharp turns more easily. I did quite a few of those type turns in the parking area and I really like how much easier it is for me to swing the bars now.

On the short trip to the mall, less than a mile, I could sit up straight or even lean back a little on my backrest and still have my elbows bent nicely. I think that I'm going to be a lot more comfortable with these risers. I'll try to get out tomorrow or Saturday and ride for a couple of hours. I'll make another post about my observations then.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've got the SWR-11 (same as the 12 but for the Custom), and it makes such a difference. Between that and the mustang seat, it's like a whole new bike. Like you said, slow sharp turns (like a parking garage!) are so much easier to deal with. And it feels more relaxed on the highway too, at least to me.

·
Registered
742 Posts
risers on the classic or custom are awesome... as for being hand tight, i did mine FRIGGIN' hand tight, like the tightest i could ever make them!?!?!

the bolts are torqued to a specific torque... i don't think the "hand tight" is a problem unless you just limp wristed them... they are not going to move, AT ALL!

so just ride man... just ride! :)

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
risers on the classic or custom are awesome... as for being hand tight, i did mine FRIGGIN' hand tight, like the tightest i could ever make them!?!?!

the bolts are torqued to a specific torque... i don't think the "hand tight" is a problem unless you just limp wristed them... they are not going to move, AT ALL!

so just ride man... just ride! :)
Yeah, well, the 20 lbs of torque specified to the 17mm Scootworks handlebar holder bolts doesn't exactly leave me with a huge warm and fuzzy feeling either...... All the vibration that goes through those pieces can't be good for keeping bolts tight. Not exactly confidence inspiring.

Kawasaki specifies 25 lbs torque for both the handlebar clamp bolts and the handlebar holder nuts. The latter is what is replaced with the Scootworks bolts with the specified 20 lbs torque.

Don't tell anyone, but I torqued them to the Kawasaki specs. Maybe I screwed up, but I'd torque them to 50 lbs, if I had my way. :D I assume that they don't want huge torque on them because the bolts are steel and the risers are aluminum. Could possibly strip them out if too tight, I suppose.

One thing I forgot to mention. If you're real picky about the looks of your bike, these risers don't exactly match the colors of the original handlebar holders, which look like chrome. The risers are highly polished aluminum. The difference isn't huge, but it's there. You also have a seam where the original holders meet the risers.

I am fine with that, but I know that there are folks who are not and don't want to mislead anyone.

good riding

·
Registered
742 Posts
... i don't have a torque wrench, so mine are good-n-tight! :D

and as for being highly polished aluminum... at least the bottom part of the forks will match it! so no worries...

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know this is old news for you folks that have had risers since before Christ was born, so hope it hasn't bored you too badly. :)

I spent over 3 hours out on the bike today. Wow, what a pleasure. :D Indeed, these risers are almost perfect for me and the way I have my bike set up. I cruised parking lots, city streets, back roads and 6 lane freeways for about 140 miles.

The bike is much more pleasant to handle, with the bars set back like they are now. I was able to lean against my backrest, almost the entire time, certainly all of the time I was on the crashway.

I'd never have believed that the difference would be so acute. Can't wait for my Kuryakyn Switchblades to get here so I can get them mounted on the crash bar. Visions of a Lazy-Boy on 2 wheels. :p :D

My backrest isn't the normal type. It's a Lazy Rider "bag" and I like it a great deal. Quite comfortable. If you're interested, it's here http://www.lazyrider.com/

good riding ;)

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
can you post pictures?

·
Registered
927 Posts
can you use lock washers on the bolts? Seems this would be a good choice.
Dan

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Dan
Dunno, Dan. I thought about that, but Scootworks supplied washers with the bolts and they're standard flat washers. Seems apparent that Scootworks doesn't think there is a problem with the way they do it.

I could have installed some lockwashers, but I didn't. I don't like freewheeling stuff that I don't really understand.... :eek:

The bolt has plenty of room for one and there are a lot of threads in contact between the bolt and risers. I forgot to measure the bolts, but they're pretty long and probably have more than an inch of threads engaged in the risers. That's a lot, so maybe that's why they don't think it's a problem.

During the over 3 hours that I was out today, I never got a hint that the bars weren't secure and they were always tight when I checked them at various points when I stopped.

I could check them now, with the torque wrench, to see if they're still in spec. I'd bet that they are.

EDIT: FWIW, I checked both bolts with my torque wrench and they haven't moved, AFAICT. I'll continue to monitor them, but I suspect that I'm being a worry wart about it.... :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
ummm, yeah, I can take some pics and then try to figure out how to post them. But, what do you want to see? The risers, the backrest bag, the bike as a whole, all of the above?

good riding! :)
ummmm, all of the above. Mostly the risers though.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay, here's a stab at some photos showing the various items requested.

side view of risers and back rest

back rest closeup

back rest bag open

rear view of risers

semi closeup of risers

my fav pic of the bike

closeup of risers

·
Registered
487 Posts
I'm thinking about going with some risers. How tall are you Kerry?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not sure..... I think that I'm around 5'10". One thing you also need to consider is the seat. IIRC, I sit slightly closer to the tank with the Saddlemen seat that's on the bike now, than I did with the OEM seat. How much closer? dunno, not a lot, but enough that I noticed.

As to the risers, I've become an instant fan. I've put a lot more miles on the bike since installing them and I really, really like how it handles now and the comfort level they provide.

Last Sat, the mechanic at the shop doesn't like them because they're "loose". If you really crank on the handlebars, you can feel it shift slightly at the risers. That's due to the Scootworks installation instructions, where they insist that the risers only be hand tight to the original bar holders.

I can take the handlebar off and tighten the bolts from the top, but haven't decided if I want to do that yet. I'm going to contact Scootworks and see what they have to say about the issue.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I don't know how tall Kerry is, but I'm 6' (33" inseam) and 180lbs, and I wouldn't dream of taking the risers off my Custom! They made a world of difference. Between the risers and the Mustang seat, I feel a lot more relaxed, no butt or shoulder pain.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Dan
no need... if the instructions mimic the genmar risers i got then you use lock-tite on the bolts... so no need for lock washers.

nice pics of the bike kerry!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
no need... if the instructions mimic the genmar risers i got then you use lock-tite on the bolts... so no need for lock washers.
Nope, no mention of lock-tite. Here is the install instructions for attaching the risers to the original holders.
"Screw these on, very hand tight, but do not use any tools. They will tighten additionally as the bolts are tightened."
The bolts they mention are the large bolts that come up through the triple tree into the bottom of the risers. Those are supposed to be torqued to 20lbs.

nice pics of the bike kerry!
Thanks! :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts