Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In case anyone cares...

They emailed me back and have them in stock, RAW and POLISHED.

I was thinking of doing it instead of the front pulley... i know it is quite a bit more expensive but it pushes the tire back some and if i put the 200 on AND lower the bike 3" it will help a lot.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Get both at the same time. If you only use one the difference is so minimal and you still will end up looking for that 6th gear. That will probably be my x-mas gift to myself.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
IMHO, you would be much further ahead getting this Scootworks pulley from Meancycles rather than directly from Scootworks.

Meancycles

·
Registered
976 Posts
Get both at the same time. If you only use one the difference is so minimal and you still will end up looking for that 6th gear. That will probably be my x-mas gift to myself.
You know, I have a couple of guys that cussed us all for using just the front. "What do YOU know about putting bikes together? Don't you think them engineers know nutting?" they used to belittle me. I asked one of them if he had the European or American gears in his 2000. "American" and he let it drop at that as for some reason the same bike in Europe has taller gears, just like we're doing to the 900. Oh, we're not stepping it up as much as the 2000 but then the 2000 is quite a bit more motor. At least I always think that's why he never opined again on the subject. That's why I asked him. He may of just wrote me off.

I'm happy with the front scoots pulley and don't need more. Others might need more while others cuss the idea of anything and still more go for the bigger tire without doing any pulleys.

If he has the money, he could buy both, see how he likes it AND if it's too much, take the front off and sell it. Scoots is probably out of stock already, they'll get more in but they fly out the front door as fast as they come in the back.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Helek_52
Meancycles does not have any in stock... according to the email they sent me (at least a 1-2 week wait).

ClassTom
You are missing the point... I am happy with riding my bike UNDER the screaming RPM speeds, I am looking to do the pulley mod to move the tire back so it looks better... but will also gain some RPM relief while riding on the highway AND it will be polished so adding looks.

Not as many people do the rear pulley because of cost. I am willing to overlook the cost to get added looks (polished) and get the tire moved back some while gaining about 6% RPM drop...

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I don't trust Scootworks, jagered. They may be telling you their in stock, but i'll bet they're not. If Meancycles doesn't have any, they're not available at Scootworks either. I'd still go through Meancycles. The pulley is cheaper, there will be no shipping cost, and they won't charge you until it ships.

Scootworks will take your money immediately, charge you for shipping, and feed you full of crap about why they haven't shipped it yet.

Again, i strongly suggest NOT making your purchase through Scootworks.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I am willing to overlook the cost to get added looks (polished) and get the tire moved back some while gaining about 6% RPM drop...
I agree with you, I am looking at a pulley change over the winter, and I believe that moving the rear back a little will look better than moving it forward.

Someone here also posted info on a rear pulley from a guy named Myron that looked pretty sweet. I am considering this as well, as it is chrome.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks helek... i agree, i do not need the pulley right now so why not wait and save even more money! :)

DAN - if you find anything more about the Myron pulley let me know... may be a winter mod for me as well! :)

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
IMHO, i think Myron's pulley is better looking than Scootworks.

I'm also agree with you guys. Had i had the cash to buy a rear pulley, i would have opted for that... i like the idea of moving the wheel back also. Maybe in the future?

·
Registered
10 Posts
In case anyone cares...

They emailed me back and have them in stock, RAW and POLISHED.

I was thinking of doing it instead of the front pulley... i know it is quite a bit more expensive but it pushes the tire back some and if i put the 200 on AND lower the bike 3" it will help a lot.
Thanks J. It's true, they are in stock ( at least yesterday they were).

What I did is call and do it over the phone while I verified they indeed had it in stock.

I have a tracking number and it will be here in Scottsdale AZ Oct. 4th Monday. :D

BTW Shipping was free. Total cost $339

·
Registered
65 Posts
Does anyone know where I can get a print/specs for the rear pulley? Have access to materials and do contracting of machined parts (bearings, gears, etc) as part of my job and could get them made. Would be interesting to see actual cost.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Maybe will get one and reverse engineer it, but having print would be much easier.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
pk -- i hear ya, i know friends that machine parts for their custom choppers all the time.

maybe if you could get the original spec/design then engineer it from that... the spacing around the teeth would have to be identical, just 4 less.

better yet... if you have the time take your original one off and put it through the machine to map out the part. once you have it they should be able to "re-engineer" the part with 4 less teeth.

... once they did the initial calibration & calculations, and then testing... the part itself is probably worth less than $50 especially if a chunk of aluminum is bought in bulk and chopped down. you are paying for their name and product well after they recouped setup costs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of the new scootworks rear pulley installed on thier bike? I would like to see what it looks like on the bike before I shell out $300 bucks. Thanks

·
Registered
172 Posts
I bought both the front and rear pulleys from Scootworks using their Christmas Promo and delivered they were $409.00. From what I understand Scootworks has their own manufacturing facilities and being as how I'm not riding from December through February I wasn't too concerned with stock status. If it was delayed so be it I have been riding without them this long all ready. I did not spend the x-tra $ on polishing though, it's already a pain keeping the rear wheel clean. I don't see how anybody can keep a wheel clean for long unless they don't ride much.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Does anyone have a picture of the new scootworks rear pulley installed on thier bike? I would like to see what it looks like on the bike before I shell out $300 bucks. Thanks
in my profile... with an avon 200 on the rear and a 3" drop.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Never used SW front pulley on Craigslist $150 (not mine)

http://omaha.craigslist.org/mcy/2179131423.html

I'm sure something has happened to someone to bring on the Scootworks anger but I purchased front pulley through them last spring and had no issues. Matter of fact I used the pulley for all of last summer (7200 miles) and could not get the squeak worked out. My pulley was the "polished aluminum" version and I think that's what was causing me problems. Contacted SW 5-6 weeks ago and they asked that I send it back so they could look at it. Sent me the newest version H pulley just last week which is a dark color as if it has a baked on coating (annodized?). I hope it cures the squeaking but have to give it up to SW for trying to make right on the issue. This dark version pulley is what's in the CL link above I believe.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts