Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to let everyone know that scootworks is having a December sale. By using promo code santa you get an additional discount and there is free shipping with orders over $100. I ordered a front OD pulley and it cost me $171.00 with the discount and free shipping. Sale ends December 31.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had no problems with them i am getting my pulley on Sat. I ordered it on Dec 28 and it will get to me on the 31st.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I had a bad experience with a SW front pulley some two years ago. Blame it all to myself as I bought it used and for a while thought it was defective. I gave them a second chance and order a new sw front pulley and I was so impressed that I order the rear one as well. No issues at all and coudn't be happier. I truly would have traded my 900 earlier this year if it wasnt for the SW pulleys!

But I don't buy straight from them, I use their dealers and take advantage of free shipping and better prices.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
V Twin I see in your modifications you have both pulley's and a 200 rear tire. i was told that you can not put a 200 rear tire with a front SW pulley. did you have to make some modifications to fit the rear 200 tire?

·
Registered
75 Posts
no, i meant with the pulley. everything i have read talks about the crappy quality. pre-mature wear and stuff like that.
I guess everyones entitled to their own opinion but I tend to listen more closely to people that have actually had personal experience with a product rather than 2nd and 3rd hand info somebody read somewhere. As a rule of thumb derived from my own experience in motorsports parts sales for quite a number of years I found that about 90 to 95 % of the people that were happy with a product very seldom wrote reviews or expressed their opinions. Most reviews written by people who never had hands on experience with a product itself can be somewhat dubious at best. Scootworks did have some issues of their own along with the fact the Kawasaki used three different vendors to supply their drive belts. Some were more compatible with the aftermarket pulley than others. Scootworks did stand up to the problems and worked with people to correct these issues. I've got the rear pulley and have experienced very positive results using it along with a 200 Metzler. I worked for a Kaw dealer that sold scootworks products and found them to be both co-operative and responsive to any customer issues. RIDE SAFE

·
Registered
75 Posts
V Twin I see in your modifications you have both pulley's and a 200 rear tire. i was told that you can not put a 200 rear tire with a front SW pulley. did you have to make some modifications to fit the rear 200 tire?
Running the front scootworks pulley only with a 200 tire can cause clearance problems due to the larger diameter of the front pulley taking up some of the overall belt length and causing the rear wheel to move forward. The rear scootworks pulley has a slightlly smaller overall diameter which offsets the larger diameter of the front pulley moving the rear wheel back again so as to allow clearance. Actually using the rear pulley alone along with a 200 tire moves the rear tire back somewhat from the stock position and centers the tire within the overall curvature of the rear fender making for a more balanced or even looking appearance. Rear pulley alone along with the 200 gives you about 10 - 11 % overall RPM reduction. I'm running this with a metzler and have noticed no loss in bottom end performance and actually feel the bike handles better. Shift points are spread out slightly making it feel smoother overall. RIDE SAFE

·
Registered
238 Posts
I just wanted to let everyone know that scootworks is having a December sale. By using promo code santa you get an additional discount and there is free shipping with orders over $100. I ordered a front OD pulley and it cost me $171.00 with the discount and free shipping. Sale ends December 31.
Thanks man... I just ordered the rear pulley and saved $32.00 bucks...With the front pulley already installed and making a difference the rear pulley will make it even nicer for the days when you want to push er. GRD ...Thanks again, Just another reason I like this forum

·
Registered
711 Posts
Some tend to give the wrong advise without even owing or trying those products (the naysayers). On my ride I have both SW pulleys and a 200 Avon on the rear with Zero issues and no modifications were needed.

And for a while I ran the front SW pulley with the the Avon 200 again with no issues and no modifications required. And everytime I posted this always got replies saying it couldn't be done even when I was saying it worked on my ride. LOL

For the type of riding I do wich is mostly Freeway/Highway speeds of 65/70+ mph adding both with the 200 was the best and first thing I should have done. Most of those who have really own and tried it are very happy with the results.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Some tend to give the wrong advise without even owing or trying those products (the naysayers). On my ride I have both SW pulleys and a 200 Avon on the rear with Zero issues and no modifications were needed.

And for a while I ran the front SW pulley with the the Avon 200 again with no issues and no modifications required. And everytime I posted this always got replies saying it couldn't be done even when I was saying it worked on my ride. LOL

For the type of riding I do wich is mostly Freeway/Highway speeds of 65/70+ mph adding both with the 200 was the best and first thing I should have done. Most of those who have really own and tried it are very happy with the results.
Yes, there are times when the signal to noise ratio on technical items here is rather poor. I've never understood why folks make insistent comments on things they've never owned. :confused:

Regardless, I'm running the rear pulley with a Pirelli Night Dragon 200 and like the performance at freeway speeds now. But, I'm open for even better returns. Do you know what RPM you're running at 70 or 75mph? IIRC, mine runs in the high 3k range at those speeds. Would love to get below 3500.

thanks

·
Registered
711 Posts
Yes, there are times when the signal to noise ratio on technical items here is rather poor. I've never understood why folks make insistent comments on things they've never owned. :confused:

Regardless, I'm running the rear pulley with a Pirelli Night Dragon 200 and like the performance at freeway speeds now. But, I'm open for even better returns. Do you know what RPM you're running at 70 or 75mph? IIRC, mine runs in the high 3k range at those speeds. Would love to get below 3500.

thanks
I don't own a tachometer so can't really give you numbers but comparing the numbers listed by SW the front pulley yields a 5.9% reduction in final drive ratio vs 6.1% of the rear. What I can tell you is when I had the front SW pulley with the 200 it felt like I had a extra half gear and when I upgraded to both pulleys and the 200 now the bike feels like I have a six speed transmition. I can run true 80mph very smoothly and still able to clearly see vehicles on my rear view mirrors.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Okay, thanks V Twin. I'm gonna look into getting the front pulley later on this year. A little more top end would make me happy. But, that might have to wait if I get another bike like I'm planning. :)

Waiting for a break in the weather. :D

ride safe

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ok , I am considering putting a 200 rear on my 900LT. I am looking to drop the rpm to a more comfortable range at the 60 - 65 mph range. Will the tire alone do this or will it be a waste of money without the pulley addition?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Ok , I am considering putting a 200 rear on my 900LT. I am looking to drop the rpm to a more comfortable range at the 60 - 65 mph range. Will the tire alone do this or will it be a waste of money without the pulley addition?
With my experience the tire alone will make very little diff but not much. One aftermarket pulley and a 200 will place you right at that sweet spot you're looking for. 70+ get both pulleys and trust me you would enjoy your ride better.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
With my experience the tire alone will make very little diff but not much. One aftermarket pulley and a 200 will place you right at that sweet spot you're looking for. 70+ get both pulleys and trust me you would enjoy your ride better.
Vtwin, have you had any experience with replacing just the front pully? Most of my riding is back roads with lots of hills very little over 70+ I don't want to lose power for pulling hills, but would like a lower RPM. Also I have read that it will help the speedo issue that seems common. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
696 Posts
FWIW, I didn't do a detailed analysis before/after I installed the 200 tire and rear pulley. Both were installed at around the same time. So, I can only give my impressions.

I installed the tire first and it didn't really provide a *lot* of difference. I'd guess around 200 rpm or so, maybe 250. I then wanted to install the front pulley, but it wouldn't work on my bike with the 200 tire, because of clearance issues. IIRC, the front pulley would have resulted about 1/4 in shortfall, thus hitting the rear tire on the bottom of the frame in front of the tire. Putting the rear pulley on alleviated that problem and again, didn't seem to really provide a *lot* of difference. I'm guessing somewhere around 250 rpm or so, for a total of around 450 to 500 rpm decrease at high speeds, like 70 to 75 mph.

IIRC, at 70 mph, my tach was hitting well into the 4k range, like maybe 4400, prior to the install of both tire and rear pulley. Now, at 70 mph, the tach shows around 3800 or so. I'm getting the mph off of my GPS. I don't wear my glasses when riding and can't precisely read the needle position of the tach.

My impressions of these 2 mods is that I didn't lose much low end grunt at all. The bike still has plenty of power to do anything I want to do on the low end and has significantly reduced the annoyances of the high speed buzz when running the freeway. But, I don't drag race or do hole shots with my bike, so dunno how these mods would affect those that do.

hope that helps

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I installed the front pulley today it took me about 5 hours to do it. i ran into a rubbing issue with the inner pulley cover. I had to grind down some spots to make it work. I talked to scootworks and they said that there was probably some extra material inside the casting of the cover and to just grind it down. Has any one else had this issue or am i the only one.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I installed the front pulley today it took me about 5 hours to do it. i ran into a rubbing issue with the inner pulley cover. I had to grind down some spots to make it work. I talked to scootworks and they said that there was probably some extra material inside the casting of the cover and to just grind it down. Has any one else had this issue or am i the only one.
I had to grind a bit on my cover too, not much though. It is really apparent where it is rubbing since it removed the black paint inside the cover. I would file down a bit in this area, paint it black and put it back on. If I found that I hadn't taken enough off so I pulled the cover to find my black paint scrapped. I filed, painted, and no more noise.

How are you liking the lower the R.P.M.'s at this point on your rides?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts