Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi could anyone share with me if they removed their stock exhaust to install their SW front pulley? the instructions dont mention it but I looked and there is little to no clearance to properly loosening/ retighteningaxle nuts.I relly would love to avoid taking the pipes off,I had to do it before and it was a P,T,A:( anyways please share your thoughts thanks in advance Rob!

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Some remove the pipes to loosen up the axel, my dealer does for sure, ( top pipe only) undo the side engine cover on the L H S, should be around a half dozen screws / hex bolts, once your in there, you will see the rest. I believe from memory the the triangulated guide stays off to accommodate the larger pulley as well.

No point in scratching up your pipes.

·
Registered
117 Posts
You can make the pulley swap with the pipes still installed, its just easier if you take them off. To each their own.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys I think I will try by pulling the top pipe off first and go from there.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I did it without removing the pipes. There is room enough to remove the cotter key and loosen the axle nut without removing the pipes.

·
Registered
210 Posts
You do not need to remove the exhaust. There is plenty of room. You will need to use a wrench and not a socket. I changed the pulleys on the wifes 900 without removing the pipes. Easy as pie.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have had the rear wheel off a half dozen times (or more). Used a wrench every time. I have never rounded the nut. As a matter of fact, just after I bought the bike, I had a belt noise. Guess what the shop used to loosen the axle bolt. Yup, you guessed it. A WRENCH!!! But I guess I, and the shop, are competent enough to use our tools correctly. And as far as the pulley swop goes, best thing to do to a 900 if you ride on the highway. I know because I own a 900 and have ridden it both ways.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Nope. I did not remove my exhaust to swap out my pulley, reinstall the stock, reinstall the Scootworks pulley again. The nut will not round off by using a wrench as long as it is the correct size. I have spent the last 25 years turning wrenches on helicopters, cars, and now bikes. I have never seen, or heard of a proper fitting wrench round off a nut. I would also strongly disagree that swapping out the pulley is a mistake, as has been previously stated by Vulcan1700, it is preference. I will personally never go back to stock.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I would like to make one clarification. Do the pulleys have to be changed? No, they do not. If you are going to use the bike for a quick daily commuter, then the stock pulleys are fine. If you are going to taking a long leisurely ride at 65mph or less, again the stock pulleys are fine. But, if you are going to do some long trips and running hard, the scootworks pulleys are a fantastic upgrade. Expensive they are but worth it to me. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Using a wrench on the rear axle nut is not the correct tool to use. Any competent mechanic would know that.
I am not a mechanic but I can use a wrench to remove an axle nut without rounding the corners..:D

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Because you are incorrect, it's not a bad decision, just a preferance.
Could not agree more... Everything we do for our ride is preference... seats, grips, windshield, pegs, lighting, and more.... Have a pulley on order.

I have had the rear wheel off a half dozen times (or more). Used a wrench every time. I have never rounded the nut. As a matter of fact, just after I bought the bike, I had a belt noise. Guess what the shop used to loosen the axle bolt. Yup, you guessed it. A WRENCH!!! But I guess I, and the shop, are competent enough to use our tools correctly. And as far as the pulley swop goes, best thing to do to a 900 if you ride on the highway. I know because I own a 900 and have ridden it both ways.
Turned wrenches part-time at a garage while in College, and agree a properly sized wrench will not round the corners. A box wrench would fit even better.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have had both pulleys. a car tire. a car tire flat, and the brake pads and rotor replaced. Each done at separate times and all by professionals and my pipes have not been removed or loosened up in 2.5 years.

Funny thing is I don't think you can get a socket in there, not much room.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
I've been taking my rear tire off and on now for over 3 years, and 32000 miles, and never removed the muffler to loosen up the rear axle bolt. I have never had any issue with rounding off the nut, so I would suggest to Degreaser that he may need a new set of wrenches.... I've used the newer version of the front pulley and would not go back to stock.... Tried it once while sending back the older version of the front pulley, and could notice a big difference once I went back to stock.... Planning on upgrading the back at some time in the near future.... Degreaser seems to have a mission out there to convince everyone that stock is acceptable.... Some of us choose not to agree....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks to all that replied!Wow the thread kinda turned into which tool to use!Ideally I would rather use a socket and ratchet but Ive stripped nuts with the ratchet too,and I think most bikes ive owned had a boxend wrench in the oem tool kit just incase when you need to loosen or tightenthe axle nuts.Yes I thought long and hard before I ordered the pulley from SW,I love to hit the highways as well as the secondary highways but I feel the bike should have a sixth gear,I wont pay anymore for bike insurance so I dont want to up grade.I think the only flaw is the oem gear ratios the rest of the bike rocks.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks to all that replied!Wow the thread kinda turned into which tool to use!Ideally I would rather use a socket and ratchet but Ive stripped nuts with the ratchet too,and I think most bikes ive owned had a boxend wrench in the oem tool kit just incase when you need to loosen or tightenthe axle nuts.Yes I thought long and hard before I ordered the pulley from SW,I love to hit the highways as well as the secondary highways but I feel the bike should have a sixth gear,I wont pay anymore for bike insurance so I dont want to up grade.I think the only flaw is the oem gear ratios the rest of the bike rocks.
feenixx, let me be the first to apologize for my part of the "discussion". This isn't my first go around with ol' Greaser. He seems to be a bit opinionated, as am I....:D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts