Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed the Scootworks Front Pulley over the weekend and took the first serious ride this morning. All I can say WOW! Why didn't I do this sooner. All the gears feel Taller and MUCH easier cruising on the highway. If your contemplating this mod, JUST DO IT already!

Bill.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Strongly considering it. the OE tires are much cheaper than the available 200s. Pulley would pay for itself after a couple seasons.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After all the bad reviews of Scootworks and shipping delays, I went to meancycles.com. They had it in stock, although they did not ship it on the day I ordered it when they said they would. I still received it in 4 days.

Bill.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I highly recommend adding the rear pulley as well. With both is like adding a full gear!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ordered / paid for SW Front OD pulley on May 24th and still don't have it. Anyone else having delivery issues with Scootworks?
Wow, that's a long time. I ordered a set of risers on June 27th and just recieved them today, so they're not slow on everything. Did they give you a tracking number?

·
Registered
273 Posts
OD pulley

I just got mine back from SW after they updated it. They just got a batch of the new latest greatest powdercoated units done last thursday. I'm having the Kaw. dealer install mine on friday for $40, figured I didn't want to mess with it for that much. I would be concerned ordering one from Meancycles like I did, they were in stock and quick delivery but they might not have the new models that won't hopefully give you the squealing noise everyone complained about. I'm glad I waited to install mine now. Call SW and ask for Dave or [email protected] if you have a question about the new model pulleys.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Update on the new pulley mod...... I have about 6000 miles on the updated version and am starting to get some belt noise from the front pulley. I looked at it the other day and it looks like some of the powder coat is rubbed off of the pulley. I jacked up the rear tire today and coated the belt with candle wax, so tomorrow when I go out, I will see if it reduces the noise back down. If I had to do it all over again, I would go with the 170/80 tire or just the rear pulley. The front is just to issue involved to be worth the effort or the money. Better to spend the extra hundred (at least I think that is the difference) than screw around with the front pulley.....

·
Registered
711 Posts
Update on the new pulley mod...... I have about 6000 miles on the updated version and am starting to get some belt noise from the front pulley. I looked at it the other day and it looks like some of the powder coat is rubbed off of the pulley. I jacked up the rear tire today and coated the belt with candle wax, so tomorrow when I go out, I will see if it reduces the noise back down. If I had to do it all over again, I would go with the 170/80 tire or just the rear pulley. The front is just to issue involved to be worth the effort or the money. Better to spend the extra hundred (at least I think that is the difference) than screw around with the front pulley.....
Good to know. I was about to email SW to see if they would honor mine and have it redone as well but this is the second review I've seen they become noisy with time. Mine only makes the squeek only when rolling the bike in neutral. If in 1st gear no matter how slow I'm going I don't hear any belt noises at all. Glad you posted this so I save my time and shipping cost. I figured it was just a layer of whatever material they coat it with so it would wear out with time. They really need to make them of steel just like the OEM. Oh well, like I said I really have no issues with mine unless I'm rolling my bike in neutral.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Spoke too soon. Got on here moaning about not getting the pulley and it showed up in the mail this morning. It was delayed with the Canada Postal strike. I live in a small town and we do have a Kawi dealer but when I called to make an appointment they advised me that "the tech" quit today..... so instead of the dealer, it will be going on Monday to a guy that works out of his garage...

·
Registered
176 Posts
I installed my pully yesturday and man oh man, it's the best mod I have ever made to my bike. If you do alot of highway driving like I do it is worth every penny and the long time I had to wait to get it.

Now my speedo and gps are the same.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I installed my pully yesturday and man oh man, it's the best mod I have ever made to my bike. If you do alot of highway driving like I do it is worth every penny and the long time I had to wait to get it.

Now my speedo and gps are the same.
When I just had the front pully installed the speedo and gps just about read the same. Now that I have both front and back pulleys installed the speedo reads 65 MPH and the GPS shows 71 MPH.

·
Registered
273 Posts
OD pulley

Finally got mine back and installed yesterday. Went for first ride today, now the speedo is one MPH faster than GPS. Mostly right on for most part which is reasurring going past the police with their guns out the window. I've noticed my shift points are now +5 mph faster than without the pulley. Shifting into
5th at 60 now, haven't had it on the superslab yet to see but just getting it up to 70 now doesn't seem to have the RPM's up like they used to be. So far so good!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts