Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my Scootworks front pulley in the mail this morning. Took less than an hour to install. Pretty easy to do. I'm impressed with the highway feel now. Much smoother. I haven't noticed any loss of power. And my speedo is pretty close to right on now. I wish I'd done this sooner.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I'm planning to order one of these sometime this week. Does it come with installation instructions and how long did it take you to put in?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Took less than an hour to install. Pretty easy to do.
LOL Mark, need some caffeine this morning? :p

I've been considering doing this too, although I've also considered Myron's rear pulley. Wonder which one would be easier for a complete mechanical rookie?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Probably the front pulley. You don't have to remove the rear wheel...

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it was just the front pulley I did. The instructions are pretty clear. I had to go buy one socket, 27mm I believe. Hardest parts were removing the cotter pin on the exhaust side axle nut, and torquing the nut back on the pulley. I had to stand on the rear brake and reach over with the torque wrench to torque the nut. I wasn't sure what the proper method was to tighten the belt so before I started I put a piece of masking tape on the frame near the belt and put a sharpie mark how far I was able to move the belt pushing on it with my finger, then matched the tightness when I did the reinstall. It's not squeaking so I'm happy so far.

I wish I'd done it sooner but I was always worried I'd lose some power when riding two up and pulling the trailer but it looks like the wife's limit is a whopping 30 miles so I guess my long trips will be solo.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I ordered my pulley yesterday and should have it ths coming week. I hope to have it installed by next weekend...:D

I think it's noteworthy that my speedo is about 9.5% high as my odometr is also about 4% high. As the speedo comes down so will the odometer. I'm hoping for a correction point somewhere inbetween the two, but a bit closer to a true odometer reading. (a whole new world of dicussion when changing the odometer reading!!!)...

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Moe, how far off was the speedo before, then after? I was thinking of getting the speedohealer to correct it but wouldn't mind a smoother highway ride. I ride at least 82 miles each day, mostly 65-70mph. The Speedo healer is supposed to correct both the speedo and odo. http://www.healtech-electronics.com/

Gibby
Before the speedo was out 10%. When I went through a radar traffic sign at 110kph on the speedo the sign said 100kph. I haven't been back to test it since the scootworks gear was added but when my wife was following me and we checked it was very close.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I have a 170 rear tire instead of the stock 180 and it has seem to fix my speedo issue. My speed matches my GPS exactly.

·
Registered
719 Posts
The pulley is on my to-do list once I wear down my Avon 200. I need to pull the rear wheel anyway since I have some interference between the inner fender splash shield and the 200 tire at pot holes. When I lowered the rear I cut out a lot of the shield but evidently not enough. My speedo is accurate and it was a pain to adjust when I put on the Webslinger bezel - not looking forward to that exercise again.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a 170 rear tire instead of the stock 180 and it has seem to fix my speedo issue. My speed matches my GPS exactly.
I don't understand, if your speedo is erring on the optimistic side, going to a smaller tire should make it worse. You would have a smaller circumference hence covering less ground w/ each revolution.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The pulley is on my to-do list once I wear down my Avon 200. I need to pull the rear wheel anyway since I have some interference between the inner fender splash shield and the 200 tire at pot holes. When I lowered the rear I cut out a lot of the shield but evidently not enough. My speedo is accurate and it was a pain to adjust when I put on the Webslinger bezel - not looking forward to that exercise again.
Baitis, what is your shock set on? Thanks for the post, I was thinking of going to the 200. Still would like to know the percentage of change it would produce, guess I could figure out the math. I was thinking of doing the rear pulley, and I know that is about a 6.1% difference, not sure if that would put me over the top w/ both. If your speedo is accurate now what was it like before you put the 200 on and wouldn't you throw it off again adding the pulley?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts