Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Scootworks front pulley for sale. SOLD!!!

I have a new, still sealed in plastic, pulley for sale. I just don't see the point in installing it. I'll sell it for $150.00 plus actual shipping charges. When you install it, if your bike has a tach, this is the difference you'll see.
Nothing!
The speed sensor reads the output (pulley) shaft RPM and converts it to speedometer speed. The only thing that will change is your actual speed, and your speedometer will read a little more accurately.
My bike with the stock pulley shows around 3925 RPM at 70 MPH indicated.
The GPS actual speed is 63.5 MPH. When I accelerate to a true 70 MPH, the tach then shows about 4175 RPM, or a 250 RPM difference.
Math calculations and even Scootworks show that the ratio change will give you a 5.9% reduction in engine speed. With the original pulley installed, if 4175 gave you a true GPS speed of 70 MPH, you can count on 4175 RPM minus 5.9% would equal a drop of 246 RPM. You will then be cruising a true 70 MPH while turning 3929 RPM.
I've seen claims here alluding to a 1000 RPM drop, and others say it's like having a whole new bike! It's only giving you approximately a 250 RPM drop at 70 MPH! The only way you're going to see a 1000 RPM drop is when you realize you've forgotten to shift out of fourth!:eek:
I would like to see a sixth gear too, but I would like to see it in the form of having a closer-ratio gearset through the range.
I'm also in favor of overdrive, but not in every gear! I can cruise through town at 35 MPH at the bottom end of third gear without feeling like I'm lugging the engine. With the overdrive pulley installed, I would probably want to remain in second gear at the same speed.
Sorry if I don't count this pulley in the same category as sliced bread, but I just don't think the effort, and the problems with adjustments and belt squeaks is worth it.
So who wants it?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Gee...
I was going to SNAP it up - but I think you talked me out of it.:rolleyes:
I'll wait and see if others also experience belt problems. Both of my bikes (the other is a V-Rod) suffer from the same problem when I try to shift into sixth gear. :mad: Unlike my other bike, the VN900 seems to be much happier at 55mph than it is @ 75MPH - BUT... I bought the Vulcan for a putt-around-town bike, and not for long blasts down the super slab.
Maybe some day I'll FINALLY out grow the need (desire) for a 125HP bike and settle down with a geezer-glide, but in the meanwhile I'll keep my OEM sprocket.
Now...If it reduced the RPM @ 70MPH by like...750 - and the bike were still streetable in the lower 4 gears I might slap one on.
I'll keep reading and wondering for now...I still have exhaust and some electrical work to do on my Vulcan - which is almost BONE stock.:(

Whoever gets this, please let us know how you like it.:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gee...
I was going to SNAP it up - but I think you talked me out of it.:rolleyes:

Now...If it reduced the RPM @ 70MPH by like...750 - and the bike were still streetable in the lower 4 gears I might slap one on.

Whoever gets this, please let us know how you like it.:cool:
Even if you put both the front and rear sprockets on, your RPM decrease at 70 would be just under 500 RPM. I am a geezer:D, and don't go fast anymore, (except in bizjets) but I do like the low-end grunt. Not willing to give some of that up just to lower the engine speed a couple of hundred RPMs on that rare interstate ride.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Even if you put both the front and rear sprockets on, your RPM decrease at 70 would be just under 500 RPM. I am a geezer:D, and don't go fast anymore, (except in bizjets) but I do like the low-end grunt. Not willing to give some of that up just to lower the engine speed a couple of hundred RPMs on that rare interstate ride.
That's basically why I keep going back and forth on buying the pulley. I ride to work on the slab, but the speed limit is only 50 (Washington, DC) and the cops are pretty anal about it. My bike has "kissed" 80 on the speedo, but I normally just don't find myself really opening the bike up like that. Currently, I'm averaging 51 MPG, so I don't really see the point of it.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's basically why I keep going back and forth on buying the pulley. I ride to work on the slab, but the speed limit is only 50 (Washington, DC) and the cops are pretty anal about it. My bike has "kissed" 80 on the speedo, but I normally just don't find myself really opening the bike up like that. Currently, I'm averaging 51 MPG, so I don't really see the point of it.
Uh...I guess that means you don't want it either? Even though it's aluminum, it'll hold down lots of papers on my desk if it doesn't sell!:D

·
Registered
657 Posts
When I first put it on I thought WTF is going on here, no RPM differance with the speed. Then it finally dawned on me that with the drop in speed on the speedometer, the RPM reading was going to adjust accordingly. 1000 rpm... I think not, but it does make a differance. My speedo would read 7 mph high at 70 mph (really doing about 63-64). Now at 70 mph, I'm really doing 69 and that's close enough for me. The RPM and speedo still match each other closely so where a set RPM was giving me 63-64 mph, the same RPM is giving me 69 mph. I'm sorry, but that's significant to me and I'm not going to complicate the equation any more than that. If any of you are inclined to pick up Ron's pulley, go for it. BTW, I've been using the pulley for over 6 months now and love it (self installed)....

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I first put it on I thought WTF is going on here, no RPM differance with the speed. Then it finally dawned on me that with the drop in speed on the speedometer, the RPM reading was going to adjust accordingly. 1000 rpm... I think not, but it does make a differance. My speedo would read 7 mph high at 70 mph (really doing about 63). Now at 70 mph, I'm really doing 69 and that's close enough for me. The RPM and speedo still match each other closely so where a set RPM was giving me 63 mph, the same RPM is giving me 69 mph. I'm sorry, that's significant to me and I'm not going to complicate the equation any more than that. If any of you are inclined to pick up Pacomutt's pulley, go for it. BTW, I've been using the pulley for over 6 months now and love it (self installed)....
Yep, your numbers equate with mine, and I almost installed this just to correct the speedo. But the RPM drop is so insignificant it just didn't seem worthwhile to lose any low speed drivability. If anything, I may just try to correct the speedometer. I've seen add-on gadgets for this.

·
Registered
657 Posts
There's a device called a Speedohealer that works really well. I had one on my previous ride and it allows you to dial it in oretty accurately. As with the pulley, you odometr will register less as well. With the pulley, my odometer was running 4% high and now is showing 3% low (which is still within accepted federal standards for an acceptable odo reading).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Uh...I guess that means you don't want it either? Even though it's aluminum, it'll hold down lots of papers on my desk if it doesn't sell!:D
1st rule of sales -- don't tell people what's wrong with what you're selling! You talked me out of it! :D

Seriously, though -- like I said, I just can't make up my mind about installing the pulley. I think I'd rather know someone personally who has it installed and check it out on their bike.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There's a device called a Speedohealer that works really well. I had one on my previous ride and it allows you to dial it in oretty accurately. As with the pulley, you odometr will register less as well. With the pulley, my odometer was running 4% high and now is showing 3% low (which is still within accepted federal standards for an acceptable odo reading).
Thanks, Bones. I'll look into it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
pulley

I've been on the fence since the spring since I bought my bike, and just ordered one from a few minutes ago before reading your post from Meancycles for $180 free shipping. I don't do a ton of freeways but everytime I do I wish I had another gear like everyone else. I figured the 99% of blogs I read from guys that installed one love it so I figured when I got some extra cash I would bite the bullet. Hope it's worth the time and $?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Yup, I had one and trust me the difference is so minimal especially if you drive at or above 70mph on the speedo. Anything over 70mph the engine starts to buzz again. Most will argue and say it makes all the difference in the world but realistically you only get a 5.9% increase which is very minimal (some 5mph increase per shift). Having both you will gain about 11.6% so having both now your talking a noticeable increase.

pacomutt
Honesty will take you a long way so thank you for your true review and opinion. Like I stated on other post, mine came defective so it had to go but if things go right soon and you still have this by then I will buy it from you. Soon will also look at the rear one so I can have both. In my opinion one is worthless due to the minimal increase you gain. My goal is to cruise smooth at 75mph with no engine buzzing. Once the engine starts to buzz your handle bars start to vibrate more which affects your grip and hands numb sooner and the rear view mirrors start to shake like crazy.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yup, I had one and trust me the difference is so minimal especially if you drive at or above 70mph on the speedo. Anything over 70mph the engine starts to buzz again. Most will argue and say it makes all the difference in the world but realistically you only get a 5.9% increase which is very minimal (some 5mph increase per shift). Having both you will gain about 11.6% so having both now your talking a noticeable increase.

pacomutt
Honesty will take you a long way so thank you for your true review and opinion. Like I stated on other post, mine came defective so it had to go but if things go right soon and you still have this by then I will buy it from you. Soon will also look at the rear one so I can have both. In my opinion one is worthless due to the minimal increase you gain. My goal is to cruise smooth at 75mph with no engine buzzing. Once the engine starts to buzz your handle bars start to vibrate more which affects your grip and hands numb sooner and the rear view mirrors start to shake like crazy.
I have to think that in this day and age, someone would have figured out how to analyze and map the frequencies produced at the handlebars and come up with a way to balance and null them out. I have seen bar end weights, but how do you figure out how much you need? There are frequency analyzers and balancers for everything else; some engineer is missing an opportunity here. I'd pay more than I paid for the pulley for a service that would kill the handlebar vibrations. Since I started riding again after a long absence, I find my hands are going numb practically before the bike warms up.

As far as a review goes, I never installed this pulley, just did the math and decided it wasn't for me. It seems like a patch of sorts to get a few extra MPH out of a bike that's really happy below 70 or so. That's how I ride, so I am foregoing the pulley. I hope if someone buys it, that they find it's perfect for them. It's really not complicated, just use a calculator with a % key and subtract 5.9% from whatever is now your cruise RPM (or multiply by .941) to see where you'll be with the new pulley. I can tell you that a true 70 MPH is close to 4200 RPMs, so multiplied by .941 (the other end of 5.9%) will net you 3952 RPM with the new pulley. If you cruise at 5000 RPM (close to 90 MPH!), you'll see almost a 300 RPM drop. It's just math, folks.

Thanks for the kind words, Tom.:)

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm sure it will sell. :D
(Eventually)

Like I said - I might bolt one on myself someday. The box that some folks install to fix the speedometer costs about $100, and the ScootWorks mod seems to fix those inaccuracies as a bonus, from what I have read.
A 5-6 percent reduction in my freeway RPM beats a poke in the eye with a sharp stick - and a $150 mod won't break the bank, I'm just a little concerned about the belt shake, rattles and rolls that I've read about with this sprocket. It does not take much in the way of irregularities in the belt drive to leave you sitting on the side of the road staring at a broken $200 belt (a guess on my part - but that's what my other one costs.)
And...they AREN'T going to fail at a convenient time or place!!!:mad:

I'll wait until I've got my exhaust tweaked, some riding lights installed, a seat picked out, etc...etc... until I tackle a sprocket/pulley change.
The 5MPH error in my speedo is on the "good side", so I'll let that slide for now.:cool:
Like I said...there's a lot of interest in the ScootWorks mod, so I don't think it will be holding down papers on your desk for long!

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I would disagree that the RPM drop isn't noticeable, as I went for the same result with a rear tire size change. Granted, it is minimal, but it *is* noticeable. A corrected speedo with a slightly lower RPM at actual speed has convinced me it was worth it.

The only thing I *didn't* notice was a loss in, how did you put it, "low end grunt"? Of course, I'm not an agressive rider, rocketing away from every light, but I still like to play now and then, and I've still got all the play I expect from a 900cc motor, even with the change. :)

·
Registered
976 Posts
No mod is for everyone. 90% of the guys like the pulley, 10% don't and will tell you exactly why the rest of you are rubes.

It's a free country, well, at this point it still is.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No mod is for everyone. 90% of the guys like the pulley, 10% don't and will tell you exactly why the rest of you are rubes.

It's a free country, well, at this point it still is.

"Now, cruising at 4000 rpm is about 72 mph. The speed says 72 and the bike is doing just over 70. The odo matches my GPS. And accelerating from 70-80 is effortless. Could be faster, but then I could have a V2K too. It is definitely less tiring then when it's spinning at 5000. It's just all around better."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, I was trying to remember who was alluding to a 1000 RPM drop in engine speed with this mod.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a Scootworks pulley on a shelf in my garage, no, its not for sale. Its there because it is not high on my wife's priority list, go ahead and laugh, out loud if you like, but we all know the "honey-do-list! I might install the pulley today, since my wife is at work and I am not, and I just got my Gen-mar risers for my Custom in the mail, like, three minutes ago!!! Gotta get busy, only have until 5:45 to play!!! LOL

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have a Scootworks pulley on a shelf in my garage, no, its not for sale. Its there because it is not high on my wife's priority list, go ahead and laugh, out loud if you like, but we all know the "honey-do-list! I might install the pulley today, since my wife is at work and I am not, and I just got my Gen-mar risers for my Custom in the mail, like, three minutes ago!!! Gotta get busy, only have until 5:45 to play!!! LOL
:D
Don't forget to leave yourself time to post pics of the install!!!:cool:

·
Registered
657 Posts
This pretty much sums it up. What may be noticable to one person may not be to another, but to me it was very noticable. Yes eventually it'll wind enough where it's asking for a 6th gear. I could add a larger tire along with the pulleys at both ends and at some point, it'll still wind. For crying out loud, it's still a 900 with a 5 speed box. That part isn't going to change.

For me the pulley was enough to make a big enoough differance and considering all aspects, I'm very happy with it. I did a self install (about 45 min) and all went well. I have no vibration or extra noises. Can't ask for much more. The RPM that moved me at 63-64 mph now moves me at 69 mph in real time. I think that rocks!!!! :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts