Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IS DA BOMB!!! or whatever popular phrase you want to use.

Background. I bought my bike in June 2007 and with the recomendations of fellow 900 riders locally, installed the Scoots pulley. I remembered liking it, but I had heard horror stories AND professional builders telling others that 'You're going to lug the engine.' When I told them I wasn't and I thought they were over-reacting, they asked how many engines I'd rebuilt. Which I asked, 'bike, car, mower, weedeater, Model Airplane/Car or do I have to be a custom bike builder to count'. Well, I guess we'll all get our deserts when we wear the engine out, but it hasn't happened in 35,000 miles.

But still, I wondered how much I would actually miss the pulley if the bike was in OEM condition. I knew the speedo would be off, but I fixed that by painting correct marks on the speedo glass. It scraps right off with a razor blade. But would I get extra accelleration? Would the bike get up over 100 faster? How much different would it be. When I had the rear wheel and fender off last year I figured what the heck and put the OEM pulley on.

ANNNDDD Hated it. But I wasn't sure. It was a difference but I only got a couple rides in and then it snowed, and snowed AND SNOWED! Then I had Rotator cuff surgery (and of course the snow went away). Finally I got rehabbed to where I could ride (so it rained for a week). But the last month I have ridden pretty solid. The bike is great to 55 and it'll do 70-80 just fine. But I've spent way to much time at 4500-5000 rpm and while there is pretty good grunt between 3000 and 4500, it wears out over that.

Yesterday I got a box of stuff to put on the bike and one of the things in the bike was the lock washer for the Pulley so today I put the pulley back on.

Now, cruising at 4000 rpm is about 72 mph. The speed says 72 and the bike is doing just over 70. The odo matches my GPS. And accelerating from 70-80 is effortless. Could be faster, but then I could have a V2K too. It is definitely less tiring then when it's spinning at 5000. It's just all around better.

You never know what you're missing till it's gone.

If you never go out on the slab and spend you're life under 65 and cruise around downtown, don't buy the pulley. If you get out on the slab and go over 65 GET ONE NOW. (Scootworks are actually a bit of a pickle to get pulleys from. They are a small shop and do their work in batches. Check JC at Meancycles and see if he has any in stock right after you check the for sale sections of this and any other 900 motorcycle forums. Check Ebay THEN call Scoots and get on the list if they don't have one ready. They WILL take your money. You WILL get a pulley eventually. Foretold is Forewarned (or however it goes) but the pulley is worth the getting.

In mine and countless others opinions.

Clean

·
Registered
343 Posts
I her ya I want one bad,after having the 200 Avon then going to the darkside which is same as stock dia.tire I feel like I,m buzzing down the interstate.I now have Vance & Hines pipes even want it more

·
Registered
12 Posts
I installed the pulley about a month ago on my 07 and love it.
Would not want to go back to stock ever again.

There is one negatives aspect to the pulley however and I think it was
mentioned before.

There seems to be more belt noise that I can't get rid of.

I have tried looser belt, tighter belt and everything in between.
Being tighter seems to work the best and less squeak.

I think it is the material the pulley is made out of. Mine is half steel and the part the belt rides on is aluminum whereas the stock pulley is all steel.

I think the aluminum and belt combination gives it more noise.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Has anyone replaced just the rear pulley.The front pulley is +2 teeth, rendering a 34 tooth pulley. Changing only the front pulley will change the final drive ratio from 2.0625:1 to 1.941:1. This yields a 5.9% reduction in final drive ratio.
And The rear pulley is -4 teeth, rendering a 62 tooth pulley. Changing only the rear pulley will change the final drive ratio from 2.0625:1 to 1.9375:1. This yields a 6.1% reduction in final drive ratio.
I was wondering if the difference between 1.941:1 to 1.9375:1 would be that much better or would that little difference change the torque to much..Just curious..If no one has I will ask scoot works for there opinion..Thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just my opinion, you will not notice 0.2% difference. Most do the front because of price difference. I read on the forums that anyone planning an oversize rear tire may have trouble with the front pulley because it pulls the tire a bit forward due to larger front pulley diameter.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I just installed mine last weekend and so far so good. I gain let say about 5mph per shift but still not enough when you ride lots of 70+mph. Now I can cruise on my alley very smooth on first gear :). I still look for that six gear, maybe adding the rear pulley will completely satisfy me. Some have complained about loosing power at start when istalling the front pulley but I see it the other way arround. You just got to adjust to the new shifting points that's all. Riding with my friends who all have larger bikes now we shift arround the same time.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I'm with TNCarters... the difference between the two is so negligible that nothing would be noticed in the 'seat of the pants'. Putting them both on would be quite noticible though.

Since there aren't any longer belts for us yet, the rear pulley would be an option to seriously consider if running a really tall tire and you wanted to drop the rpm.

I finally got my front pulley yesterday, after waiting seven weeks for delivery. It'll go on this weekend. To be fair, the wait was supposedly due to the belt drive conversion kit for my 750 Spirit, althought i still feel that was unduly long.

·
Registered
263 Posts
What is the difficulty with installing one of these? Basic nuts and bolts, or are we talking need a lift and a degree?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You need 2 pieces, 40 inches long of 2x8, glued and screwed together and a 3-4 foot piece of pipe drilled through one end of it, That's enough lift for ya. You NEED either a impact wrench to get the pulley nut off or a good breaker bar with a cheater. I used a 2 foot breakover bar to get it off BUT it's supposed to have 90-115 ftlbs torque on it and while getting it off initially is pretty rough, putting it back on doesn't take as much force so whoever put mine on at the factory wasn't paying attention with the wrench. Now, as my impact wrench had just enough force to get it off, I put it back on with the thing, my rotator cup isn't quite up to torquing things yet.

Only other problems, initially the 4 bolts that hold the pulley cover on get corroded solid. You might need an impact screwdriver to get them off initially. No problems afterwards. You'll need to adjust the belt as you have to loosen it to swap the pulley, it can be testy getting it back on straight but nothing major after you've done it.

I did the swap Friday, built the above mentioned jack, changed the oil in my F-150 (first time for that and had to locate the dang filter) all in an hour and a half(got started at 3 and had to go let my sisters dog out at 4:30).

Take time and you'll have it done in an hour. I ordered and installed a new lock washer but looking at the original I could have used it again (would have been third cycle for it) You bend the washer up over the side of the nut so it can't move.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
HELP!!

I'm in the process of putting the pulley on and when i screw the inner pulley cover on, it pushes against the pulley so hard that it makes the pulley bind up and the bike won't roll. Have any of you had this problem?

Edit:

Well, i figured out what it was. The cover squeezed down on the pulley between the two rear attaching bolts. I just took a bit off with my grinder and it's clearing ok now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi guys, I am waiting on my front pulley, my question is how much more MPH will it give and MPG if any?

Thanks!

Adrian

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
HELP!!

I'm in the process of putting the pulley on and when i screw the inner pulley cover on, it pushes against the pulley so hard that it makes the pulley bind up and the bike won't roll. Have any of you had this problem?

Edit:

Well, i figured out what it was. The cover squeezed down on the pulley between the two rear attaching bolts. I just took a bit off with my grinder and it's clearing ok now.
I hadn't had that problem. Did you take the belt bumper off the inner cover. It sits at the front of the cover and rubs the new larger pulley if you don't take it off.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Did you take the belt bumper off the inner cover.
Yup, that wasn't the problem; in fact, i'm not sure the cover would even fit on with the bumper still in place. This was a clearance issue between the pulley and the flange at the rear of the cover between the two bolts. I'll bet it only needed around .005", but i ground off about 1/8".

When the bolts were loose enough that the cover would rattle a bit, the bike would roll easily, but when i tightened the bolts down, it would lock up. I loosened the bolts so the bike would roll, then, while applying some pressure to the cover with my knee, rocked the bike back and forth a little. Then i removed the cover and inspected the pulley and cover for scratches.

Wow, what a difference in shift points. I really like this thing.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea, I pretty much regretted listening to the experts and putting the OEM back on. The bike was fine with the OEM, ran ok BUT was just geared for 55 mph travel. Now it feels geared for where I run it. IF you look at the seperation of the gearing you'll see that the difference between the 1-4 is about the same and then 5th only goes up a half. That's too bad. The pully makes up for this by moving everyone up another half.

Anyways, glad you're running.

Now, back to getting things off the Honey dew list so I can go to Eureka Springs tomorrow through Saturday morning.

·
Registered
65 Posts
ordered pulley

You guys convinced me. I ordered one today from mean cycles online. Then called to see if it was in stock. Scootworks wanted $180 plus $16 shipping, mc charged $180 w/ free shipping.Mean cycles said 2 weeks til they get their next batch. We'll see. Like MrClean I like to go 65/70 min on dual lanes. Have to to keep up with other riders in my group. Don't like the high rev sound at those speeds. Next mod is better intake and PC. Will start debaffling after inspection this month.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Folks, I am confused. According to the calculations made by Rog, there is a change of about 6% in the final drive ratio when using the after market front pulley. I assume that the rpm is proportional to the change in that same ratio. That said, there would only be about a 300-400 rpm change with the Scooter pulley.

That does not seem like it would make any real significant difference in performance.

Has anyone done a comparison at 65-70 mph on the OEM vs the Scooter pulley. I saw one reference to 1000 rpm difference. The numbers do not equate.

I think that what the 900 needs is a six speed tranny but that is probably a cost consideration in a very competitive market niche.
I totally agree the bike needs gear #6, but that ain't gonna happen!!! I've had mine on awhile now and overall I think it's super!!! Not a dramatic differance, but noticable just the same. Don't sweat all the techno whoopedoo. My speedometer is now witin 1% of being accurate (and 4% short on the odometer..oh well). Highway cruising is much better up to about 75 mph, then it starts whining out again (much beter than before). Let's face it, the 900 isn't a long distance high speed cruiser.
I figured there had to be a down side and I found it (gotta be honest here). While the gearing seems much more suited to city street riding, I lose a bit on mountain twisties. Since the gears are stretched out a bit more, slower manuvering is minorly affected in that you need to use a longer speed range on the twisted stuff. Hard to explain until you experience it. On the flip side of that, I don't think I'll rush out to the garage and put the OEM version back on. I'm still really glad I made the move and can highly recommend it for the ride. I'm a lot happier with it installed.....

·
Registered
65 Posts
looking for the phantom 6th gear

I have a buddy that has an 07 LT and we were talking yesterday. I told him that I ordered the pulley and he said that even after 3 years there isn't a day that goes by that he doesn't try to shift into 6th gear. I just want to stop doing that too. I tried counting up. That works when you ar starting off in 1st but after you go around a corner, all bets are off, too much thinking/counting/concentration required. It's annoying going down the highway at 60 and wondering if you are in 4th or 5th. Since I am an engineer by training (ready for retirement) I am thinking seriously of a tach before I install the pulley and keeping records of speed vs rpm just to have some facts. Will post when complete.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
six speed tranny, HA! Tell that to all those 1500 guys with the 4 speed.

at 70 mph the speed is reading correctly with the scootworks pulley and the rpm is 3858 rpm. at 70 mph without the speedo on mine was 10% off so to get 70 mph the rpm is at 4556. This from visual (just put the Scoots back on) and from the Gadget calculator for the rpm. That's about 700 rpm difference at highway speeds.

1 - 20 of 208 Posts