Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed a used set of pulleys I purchased from a member on here. The problem I am having is the rear pulley has a slight wobble. Took it back of and checked all the cushions. With pulley of and a block of wood set hub back in place tapping down with block. Still has a slight wobble. Can't see how it could get bent more like machining off. Any input will be helpful. Maybe they all do some. Never paid attention till now.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I think I'd be hoping to return it. Seems like quite a few people have problems with the non-OEM pulleys....that's why I just plan on getting used to the vibration at highway speeds.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I noticed the same thing when I reinstalled my wheel after a tire replacement. Took the pulley off and it's prefect, no warp or wobble on a flat surface (granite counter). Made sure all the bushings were in correctly, even tried to match them (which helped). Reinstalled, adjusted (still a slight wobble), rode for a couple hundred miles and wobble is gone. My only thought is the bushings have to settle back in after the pulley has been removed from the wheel (when you change a tire). Just my guess.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Yes, some folks have had issues with the "old" Scootworks front pulley. I have not heard of any issues with the rear.

I suppose I am a bit biased, but having the BARON'S rear pulley on the bike (with a taller rear tire, in my case) makes such a huge difference that I would never go back to the stock rear pulley (note to dirtwiz).

A very slight machining error would not likely show up using a block of wood and a calliper. You would have to do a "runout" test on the pulley itself with a proper runout dial indicator, preferably in a lathe, correctly mounted. It does seem a bit hard to believe that the Scootworks factory machined the piece with a wobble, but stranger things have happened.

As Bosco said, he had a very small (but visible) wobble, but it worked itself out in the first few hundred miles of riding. I would re-torque the mounting nuts after those few hundred miles, you can do this right on the bike no problem.

Give it another go before trying to return the part.

BTW, I would be more worried about incorrectly mounting the front pulley as you cannot see it on a daily basis, and it also must be carefully mounted and torqued exactly to spec.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts