Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've recently purchased and installed the scoot works front pulley and thought I'd leave some feedback. Basically this pulley makes the 900 a complete package, why it doesn't roll out of the factory with one is beyond me.
First gear is now useful and you don't have to change two seconds after taking off, it is also still perfect for low-speed car park riding. The rest of the gears are also more usable, 110 (kms) per hour is the max speed over here for highway cruising and it's now right were it should be in 5th.
The only problem I had with the install is that the belt rubbed slightly on the pulley cover in places but this was nothing five minutes with the grinder didn't fix.
Perfect mod, if you don't have one then get one!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
64 Posts
67, what did you use to hold the pulley in place to loosen/tighten the nut?
I am looking to do this next week. I made a pulley holder for the new one but then when I looked at the pictures, I discovered that the original is not the same as the after market one. 6 sprockets instead of 5 for the new one.
And did you removed the belt bumper on inner cover per instructions? TIA

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
67, what did you use to hold the pulley in place to loosen/tighten the nut?
I am looking to do this next week. I made a pulley holder for the new one but then when I looked at the pictures, I discovered that the original is not the same as the after market one. 6 sprockets instead of 5 for the new one.
And did you removed the belt bumper on inner cover per instructions? TIA
I left the bike in 1st gear, and used an impact driver. Nut should come right off. And, yes you'll have to remove the belt bumper. Otherwise, the pulley will rub. Wasn't worth the time to test leaving it installed.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Could the gear box or the belt get damaged by this procedure.
And did you use tools to adjust the belt tension or just by "feel"?
Maybe I should take it to a mechanic but I'm afraid that he will do the same job without the proper tools. That's why Kawa sells the right tool for the job.
Thanks anyway

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
diamondhill,
I just left it in gear and stood on the rear brake. One good push on a breaker bar/socket wrench got it off with no difficulties. Also you definitely need to remove the belt bumper.
As for adjusting the belt tension I just did it by feel and with some info from this forum.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have installed 2 scootworks front pulleys on VN900s, both failed within 20,000 miles.
The spline on the pulley is not very durable, works loose and if not caught will destroy the transmission output shaft. This then requires engine removal and spliting the cases to replace. In both cases scootworks did provide a new splined insert for the pulley but nothing toward the $2000 bike repair. Both bikes are back to using the stock pulleys. Lots of talk about this on other forums, it is a very common occurrance.
If you must use a scootworks pulley, be absolutely sure to use a new tab washer, and take it apart every 10-15,000 miles to inspect and retorque. Simply bending the old tab washer in a different place won't work, the washer fails in compression under the nut, can be used only once, as stated in the service manual.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey GV. Is this because the sw is aluminum? Would you consider the baron a better choice because it is steel?
Kevin

·
Registered
64 Posts
I bought it from Baron's because I noticed the problems with SW on older threads.
Now I want to do the job right and with the right tools. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Hey GV. Is this because the sw is aluminum? Would you consider the baron a better choice because it is steel?
Kevin
The spline insert on the SW is steel, and SW changed their aluminum alloy to a stronger alloy back in 2011 (mid year I think). Though if I have issues, will replace with the Barons all together, but so far so good (but only have 6000 miles on the Front pulley).

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi GV can you let us know about what time period you installed those pulleys? Scootworks tells me they're up to something like a 5th model of pulley so hopefully time has elapsed and they have fixed the problem.
Also can you post some links to these other forums/threads? I'd be interested in having a read.
Cheers.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Kevin
The scootworks pulleys that I installed were not aluminum. I have no experience with the Baron pulley.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hi GV can you let us know about what time period you installed those pulleys? Scootworks tells me they're up to something like a 5th model of pulley so hopefully time has elapsed and they have fixed the problem.
Also can you post some links to these other forums/threads? I'd be interested in having a read.
Cheers.

Both pulleys were purchased and installed in 2008. The threads about the spline failures were on VROC a year or 2 ago, sorry I don't have the links.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hey gv550, it that anything to do with where you work?
I don't work anywhere (retired), just installed 2 pulleys for friends because i had the tools and service manual. We followed the supplied instructions and both eventually failed.
I have no dog in this race, just sharing an experience and giving a heads-up about a potential serious consequence of this modification. A boogered up transmission shaft can really ruin a day, or a whole trip.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Thanks GV. Here's hoping scoot works have sorted the issue out between 2008 and now.

Cheers.

They have. In 2011 (maybe late 2010) they changed the alloy in their pulleys (more like the alloy used in aluminum scuba tanks) it's extremely harder (improved wear & noise issues), and the spline insert is made of steel for the output shaft. So I think they have resolved the issues from several years ago. So far, no noise issues after 11 months (5000 miles). When I replace the rear tire,will check the front pulley for wear & torque.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts