Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed lately my gear indicator has been play tricks, only when I up shift it flickers back and forth between the gear I'm going up too and the gear I'm leaving than it will stay in the gear I'm in. For there's no misunderstanding, the bike shifts fine it's just the light thats a little screwy. Well than coming home last night I was in 6th gear and the indicator was stuck in 5th and wouldn't jump up no matter what I tried. I might add this only happens in the top 3 gears.

I'm just wondering if anyone was experiencing the same problems and is there a answer why. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
If it won't show the correct gear regardless, then it is a warranty repair. We have had other members with the same issue. On mine, it occasionally doesn't want to show sixth gear, but an extra gentle tap on the shifter gets it showing correctly.

·
Registered
701 Posts
If it won't show the correct gear regardless, then it is a warranty repair. We have had other members with the same issue. On mine, it occasionally doesn't want to show sixth gear, but an extra gentle tap on the shifter gets it showing correctly.
This happens with mine as well. It happens all to often. My old nomad did the same thing, a slight tap to the shifter made the indicater show the proper gear. Strange kawi can't get this right.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I was tapping on the shifter even down shifted to 5th and back to 6th and that usually works for me but last night it was not want to show 6th. Maybe she was pissed at me for having her out in a light rain. lol! I'll take her out today and see if she's still doing it! Plus I always use heel to shift, if it's still doing it I'll try using my toes to up shift and see if that works better. If it's still doing I'll probably take a ride to the dealer and see what they have to say about it, but it will get fixed! I rode a 900 for 4yrs without a indicator and really love having it on the Vaquero when it's working right. lol!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IMO...The more technology they put into these bikes is the more to go wrong!

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Not sure how it is on the Vaquero, but when I put Euro gears in my VN2K I got to see how the gear position sensor is laid out in that one. Inside the inner transmission cover there is a sensor with several contact spots on it...one for each gear and neutral. Then, on the shift mechanism there is a spring loaded contact point that grounds the respective sensor contact when you're in that particular gear.

The VN2K only shows Neutral, not each gear, but I believe this sensor may also be used to determine timing advance and perhaps fueling curve.

Again, not sure if the Vaquero is same or different but one would think they'd use similar technology.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure how it is on the Vaquero, but when I put Euro gears in my VN2K I got to see how the gear position sensor is laid out in that one. Inside the inner transmission cover there is a sensor with several contact spots on it...one for each gear and neutral. Then, on the shift mechanism there is a spring loaded contact point that grounds the respective sensor contact when you're in that particular gear.

The VN2K only shows Neutral, not each gear, but I believe this sensor may also be used to determine timing advance and perhaps fueling curve.

Again, not sure if the Vaquero is same or different but one would think they'd use similar technology.
I would think that it would be similar setup and if thats the case I would think that could be the problem and not making the proper contact. Thank god for warranties! Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
117 Posts
My 09 Nomad does it too. I usually lift up on the toe shifter a little and it moves up to the right gear. It does it on downshift sometimes too. It doesn't really bother me much but I have gotten so used to having it that when I ride my wife's 900, I get lost in what gear I am in LOLOL.
Now one thing I did notice and maybe it is just a coincidence, but I change my oil every 4000 miles. When I get up over 3000 miles the gear indicator seems to mess up more. I don't want to start any arguments about that but it is what I have noticed. I'm not saying that is the cause either but it sure is funny that it starts to happen more with older oil. By the way I have checked it and the oil level is fine.
Bill

·
Registered
299 Posts
Mine did it to. Had it replaced under warrenty. Lasted a week and started doing the same thing. My friends victory XC tour does it to. They have to remove your drive belt to get to the switch. They will tighten your belt to specs and it will whine. I had to readjust my belt agian. I would'nt bother.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Running hard

Yeah I was tapping on the shifter even down shifted to 5th and back to 6th and that usually works for me but last night it was not want to show 6th. Maybe she was pissed at me for having her out in a light rain. lol! I'll take her out today and see if she's still doing it! Plus I always use heel to shift, if it's still doing it I'll try using my toes to up shift and see if that works better. If it's still doing I'll probably take a ride to the dealer and see what they have to say about it, but it will get fixed! I rode a 900 for 4yrs without a indicator and really love having it on the Vaquero when it's working right. lol!
I bet You broke it trying to keep up with that badass screaming eagle! We had a couple great days didn't we. Glad we got to ride. Look forward to our next adventure.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bet You broke it trying to keep up with that badass screaming eagle! We had a couple great days didn't we. Glad we got to ride. Look forward to our next adventure.
LOL! We sure did have a great time Mike! Thanks for making it up, it made our weekend! I can't wait to get together again and yes that screaming eagle was a badass.

·
Registered
900 Posts
my 09 does it in all gears. Tics me off at a stop light when I think its in first cause it says first but its still in second and I forget to tap the shifter......

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
This happens with my 2011 Vaquero just often enough for me to say, 'Hmm. That's Weird.' but not quite often enough for me to develop the inner fire to do anything constructive about it.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Mine 2010 Voyager does it also. Just nudge the shifter a bit and it catches up.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was out last night and I did manage to get it to go in 6th but not like it should. I'm gonna talk to the dealer and see what they have to say, I can't wait for them to say it's because you installed a car tire on the rear.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
THAT'S IT! And the rise in gas prices is your fault as well ... you, you, you DARKSIDER you! :pirate:
LMFAO! Yes we do have higher gas prices here in IL, And yes I'll probably get the blame for it!

·
Registered
440 Posts
my vaquero does the delay reaction showing the gear , like me its slow, these bike give to much information , i stopped looking at the thing and the stupid temp gauge .. if you dont see it , you wouldnt care...just ride

·
Registered
52 Posts
Had my Vaquero in the shop last week for the same problem. They said the shifter was loose and tightened it. Nope! still does it.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Mine has been doing it for years. Had the dealer to fix it under warranty last year but like all the others it came back shortly after I left.:( So I just live with it now.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts