Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!

Im new to the world of Kawasakis. I just bought me a 09 900 custom se. I love the thing!!!! The first 110 miles have been the best miles Ive riden! I see why they have such a following. Lot of bike for the money!

So, here is my question. I know if I hollow out the pipes I dont need a fuel proccessor. I know if I mess with the air box a little I shouldnt need one either. What if I do both?

If I gut the exhaust and remove the screen from the air filter, and replace the element with some unifoam, will I need a fuel proccessor???

Thank you in advance! I appreciate all of your input and wisdom!!!
Keep em rollin!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Wecome aboard...and probably not (but I don't know anything no how). My understanding is it's when you get a high volume air filter that you need the processor...

·
Registered
117 Posts
I ran mine for a while with stock pipes & baffles removed and some minor air box modifications without a problem. I also have a friend that has the same things done to his with no ill effects. I had to add the processor after changing the pipes and intake. Which is what I had planed from the beginning anyway...

HTH
Max

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys for the input. I think I might give er a try!!!! I will tell you how it goes!

If anyone else has some insight, I am eager to hear it.

Thank You!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, I debaffled the pipes on Sunday!!!! I really like the sound I get from it. Before I did it, I check the plugs and they looked a little black. So its running a little on the rich side!

I might try to remove the screen from the filter. If it dosnt work, I guess Ill have to buy a new one. No big deal.

I did notice some popping on deceleration though. Im gonna check the nuts on the exhaust flanges and see if they are tight. If they are, am I to assume its the emissions thing that is making it pop. If so, guess Ill marble it!

Let you all know the outcome!

·
Registered
84 Posts
You have to expect some popping on decel its called engine braking. The mufflers limit that effect but all bikes do it. But if you haven't marbled yours may do it alittle more often than others.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I have aftermarkets but I was getting a lot of popping on decel. turned out the exhaust gaskets were shot and were leaking air. So when I would let off it would suck in air and pop. Even though yours are stock and haven't been messed with, it may be something to look at. Once I replaced the gaskets, hardly no more popping. I haven't marbled either.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took the screen of the air filter today. It made a world of difference! It woke the bike up alot!!! It seems like such an insignificant screen, but takin it off does wonders!

I rode around for an hour or so, and stopped and checked my plugs. The plugs say its still running alright. They are still a little black, which is what you want, correct?

Im glad I did all of this! It sounds mean, and it pulls good and hard!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts