Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I hate to say it, but my trusty road companion for the last 18 months (21,000 miles) is gone. Over the weekend, I did a trade-in for a new 2011 Harley Road King. Both my wife and I have been wanting a bike that was a little more road-worthy for longer trips and 2-up. I spent over 2 months researching and looking at bikes and decided that since I'm 57 now (and getting younger...NOT) it was time to shoot for the dream bike.
My Vulcan was a great bike for what I needed and when I needed it, but we needed more juice and better suspension. I got a pretty decent deal and am really pleased. I pick up the new ride tomorrow at 16:00 at the dealership. I seriously considered the 1700 Nomad, but in the long run the Harley won me over. I also looked at keeping both because over all I was really pleased with the Vulcan 900 as a one rider bike, but the economics took me in a wiser direction. It was nice while it lasted and I'd like to thank everyone ere who helped me out a long the way. Good Luck and Thanks...

So... Goodnight Eljay! I hope your next owner will enjoy you as much as I did....

·
Registered
201 Posts
Well, I hate to say it, but my trusty road companion for the last 18 months (21,000 miles) is gone. Over the weekend, I did a trade-in for a new 2011 Harley Road King. Both my wife and I have been wanting a bike that was a little more road-worthy for longer trips and 2-up. I spent over 2 months researching and looking at bikes and decided that since I'm 57 now (and getting younger...NOT) it was time to shoot for the dream bike.
My Vulcan was a great bike for what I needed and when I needed it, but we needed more juice and better suspension. I got a pretty decent deal and am really pleased. I pick up the new ride tomorrow at 16:00 at the dealership. I seriously considered the 1700 Nomad, but in the long run the Harley won me over. I also looked at keeping both because over all I was really pleased with the Vulcan 900 as a one rider bike, but the economics took me in a wiser direction. It was nice while it lasted and I'd like to thank everyone ere who helped me out a long the way. Good Luck and Thanks...

So... Goodnight Eljay! I hope your next owner will enjoy you as much as I did....
Thank YOU for helping us!! Enjoy your ride my friend and I hope that you have many pleasant and safe miles on your new Harley as well.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Understood about finances. Have never been able to afford two at the same time. But it would be nice. RK supposed to be a good un and thanks to the Japanese competition, they don't spew oil or die on the side of the road anymore PLUS if you got one that isn't all black like 99% of the rest of them, you got a beautiful paintjob. The paints good on the black ones too but you just can't tell.

No pics?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Fair winds and folllowing seas, shipmate!

I wish you, your wife and the FLHR many happy smles and miles!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Congrats

Congratulations on your new purchase. I have a question for you as I too am considering upgrading for the very same reasons. What made you choose the Road King over the Kawasaki 1700? I am looking at the Kawa 1700 Nomad, the Yamaha Venture Royal and the Harley Road King. Seeing all three of these choices evenly priced, money isn't the deciding factor. Accessories for all three (OEM) are expensive so that is a wash also IMO. If retaining value is considered, I would guess the Harley wins out. Not so sure about the reliability factor. The Yamaha seems bulletproof and the Kawi has issues, stalling and such. Don't get me wrong, I love my 900. It's a GREAT mid-size cruiser. Are any of us truly satisfied with our rides or is this disease we all have with the freedom on the road a motorcycle provides, never really cured?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Congrats on the new scoot. Sorry to hear about Eljay.

Like you, i just bought my "dream bike" this year too. But i kept my 900. Believe it or not, it's still my favorite bike.

Have fun, and ride safe!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Mr. Clean: I'll post some pics on Wed. (Actually it's a 2-tone: Vivid Black/Merlot Sunglow). Mostly it looks dark, but that Melot looks super in the sunlight... Also got the matching removable Tour-Pak top box, ABS, Cruise, Security System and the "Hammock" seat.. makes Mustang seem like riding a rail.). Paying a pretty penny, but what the hell, It's now or never...

Stompers: PM me and I'll give you some info as to why I went the way of the old road warrior!!! (Road King: The original and true "Hog")...

Thanks you to everyone else. I may stick my nose in these parts every once in awhile...

·
Registered
451 Posts
Don't be a stranger, Mark. Stop in from time to time. I've always gotten a chuckle out of your avatar (Are you teddified?)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Best wishes with the new bike there, 'Bones! We enjoyed your company around here. (The Road King would probably be my first choice Harley too... a beautiful piece of machinery.) OOh and a NEW 2011 besides. Way to go!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Good luck with the Harley! The absolute one thing I love about Harley is the fact that you can keep them forever. Japenese bikes are the Bic lighters of motorcycles. I think you finally found a keeper, I only hope one day I can have a RK in the driveway. Ride safe and regards, SH.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Happy Trails on your new ride, congrats.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Japenese bikes are the Bic lighters of motorcycles. SH.

You know I've read an awful lot of posts with people that have 2-300,000 mile Nomads, 1600's and the likes. But I do know a bunch of people with 30 year old Harleys, with less than 15,000 miles on them.

But no matter, He bought this bike to RIDE and ride a whole bunch.

When do you get the trailer hitch installed?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
*salutes Eljay*

Congrats on the new scoot, bones!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Congrats on the new ride Mark and thanks for all your great input. Just keep smiling while you're rolling down the super slab and enjoy every moment of it. You will be missed my friend.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Good luck with the Harley! The absolute one thing I love about Harley is the fact that you can keep them forever. Japenese bikes are the Bic lighters of motorcycles. I think you finally found a keeper, I only hope one day I can have a RK in the driveway. Ride safe and regards, SH.
So the false enigma still persists in the folklore of HD owners? Ignorance is bliss !

·
Registered
487 Posts
Did ya get a better trade in on Eljay because it was a bike of the month winner?:D

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's a couple of pics of the new scoot. Harleys are good bikes... Vulcans are good bikes. The decision didn't come quickly or easily. I did get about $600 over blue book, but I don't think BOTM had anything to do with it. They were pretty impressed by how well I took care of the bike. I think that helped..

Let the farkling begin!!!

·
Registered
308 Posts
that's a great color in the sun!
since the summer just starts all over again here in scaramento ;], enjoy your new ride and let us know in the next days what you miss and what you love w/ the new...
all the best!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So far I miss the Positive Neutral Finder and the radiator (it was 100 yesterday riding home so I got a taste of the heat, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be). I love the ride, steering, power, 6th gear, saddlebags, Z pop off windshield and saddlebags and most of all I love those car size payments I'll be making. I have the option of starting and stopping it without the key, but if I walk more than 3 feet from the bike with the keychain in my pocket, no one else can start it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts