Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was returning home from mini-vacation with my family and saw this.
Could not pass it up and asked my son to snap couple of pictures as I was driving.
Looks like modified front wheel stand attached to a trailer hitch.

Never seen anything like it before.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I think this would be fine for short trips but long trips could do some wear and tear from both possible road debris, bad bumps, and forgetting you have the bike back there.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
With the price of motorcycle tires I think I'd rather have the trailer! Besides, the only GOOD reason to trailer a bike is if it's broken down; and what if that 'break down' constitutes it being on a flatbed? :p

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
With the price of motorcycle tires I think I'd rather have the trailer! Besides, the only GOOD reason to trailer a bike is if it's broken down; and what if that 'break down' constitutes it being on a flatbed? :p
Could you be more wrong? I towed a dirt bike with knobby tires behind my car back when I was in the Air Force, so I had my car and my bike with me whenever I wanted both. No tread wear at all just rolling behind the car. So many reasons not to have a trailer; this solution was just much better overall.

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
really you believe that the only good reason to trailer is if the bike is broke down... well you know some of us out there have families and if its a "family vacation" the only way to have the bike at the destination is to trailer it.... and besides my 3 yr old son wont fit in a saddlebag !!

·
1,172 Posts
Oh and I have not yet found a trunk/tourpack that is large enough to fit a stroller and 2 weeks supply of diapers...

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
really you believe that the only good reason to trailer is if the bike is broke down... well you know some of us out there have families and if its a "family vacation" the only way to have the bike at the destination is to trailer it.... and besides my 3 yr old son wont fit in a saddlebag !!
On Air Force pay, living on-base, and putting up with being charged for the number of axles on the NY Thruway and the PA Turnpike, towing with the trailer hitch adapter was a real blessing. When done towing, the "trailer" was just tossed into my car trunk.

·
1,172 Posts
lol if I could carry my bike on the roof of my grand caravan I guess id never trailer either !!!!

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
lol if I could carry my bike on the roof of my grand caravan I guess id never trailer either !!!!
Of course, If i had kept the car I had back in the Air Force, I could afford a boatload of trailers now. It was a '57 Chevy BelAir sport coupe.:D (sigh...)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
really you believe that the only good reason to trailer is if the bike is broke down... well you know some of us out there have families and if its a "family vacation" the only way to have the bike at the destination is to trailer it.... and besides my 3 yr old son wont fit in a saddlebag !![/QUO

Sorry Romans, I gotta go with the Worm on this one. Last week the BW and I took our 2 grown children to the beach and the whole time I was there I was wishing I had trailered the nomad down behind the truck instead of driving her car.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Sorry guys, I'm not really interested in the never-ending discussion of "to trailer or not" as we can come up with dozens of examples of family-guys needing a cage. I would like other opinions on the safety of this type of tow and potential wear issues for the bike.

Is the bike actually stable on this? I see a second tow strap hooked to the swing arm. How is the bike supposed to pivot on sharp turns, or am missing something? As we can't take our drive belt off, any issues for the bike's tranny being towed in neutral for several hundreds of miles?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Lol, sorry guys; that was my bad. I was just trying to be sarcastic! I'm sure there are a million good reasons to trailer. Heck, if I ever had to move a long distance I'd probably rent two M/C trailers to pull behind the cars so I could get all 4 vehicles in one trip! lol.

And there have certainly been times I've needed to take the car because I've had other folks with me or whatever; would've been nice to have the bike. The cool thing about these 'dollys' is that it'd probably be even easier on a car (full size pickup won't even know an M/C on a flatbed is behind it!) since I don't own a pickup (would love to; but not when you don't live close to anything and gas is $4 a gallon!).

So, sorry. Just my poor sense of humor :/

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Is the bike actually stable on this? I see a second tow strap hooked to the swing arm. How is the bike supposed to pivot on sharp turns, or am missing something? As we can't take our drive belt off, any issues for the bike's tranny being towed in neutral for several hundreds of miles?
The second tow strap is just another "safety" strap, kind of like the chains on a regular hitch setup. The bike tracks just fine behind the car whether straight or in turns. Backing up is obviously to be avoided. It would take an examination of the engine/gearbox to determine if the oil supply would lubricate the output shaft bearings and gears, but the towing angle should help in this regard if the oil can actually migrate to the rear of the trans.
I only towed in this manner with bikes that had removable drive chains.:confused:

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I would assume that if the output shaft wasn't being lubricated on that belt drive bike you'd have seen him on the side of the road, not cruising down the highway. I can't imagine it would take that long for an un-lubricated output shaft to fail at interstate speeds.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
yeah, I'd be worried about the primary being lubricated too. It's not how I'd tow my bike, for sure. Never mind the fact that you about can't see the bike below the tailgate back there and my have no idea something has gone horribly wrong until you get a phone call from the State Police asking you to please come collect your bike for the barrow pit it rolled into 150 miles behind you.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
I would assume that if the output shaft wasn't being lubricated on that belt drive bike you'd have seen him on the side of the road, not cruising down the highway. I can't imagine it would take that long for an un-lubricated output shaft to fail at interstate speeds.
Another possibility is to overfill the engine oil for the tow, then drain the excess oil afterwards. Cars with manual transmissions have been flat-towed using this method when the drive shaft isn't being removed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Looks good for emergency tows but, yeah I'd be afraid to go more than a couple hundred miles because of possible undue wear and tear on the drivetrain and tire.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts