Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the short distance iv been its quite a bit smoother, not as snatchy at low speed/low rpm pull away, certainly smoother too under open throttle. Gearing is better for our 30mph town limits we have in UK in 4th gear, I do think they have lowered the gearing on these to feel punchy so will stand gearing up easily. Looking forward to a longer run.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Why did you choose to change the front sprocket and not the rear sprocket like most other people? Did you need a different chain or did the stock one work with the new front sprocket? Also how is the speedometer? Is it off now and if so by how much?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The speedo doest run off the sprocket so isn't effected.
Common practice to changed the front as its easyer than the rear and usually cheaper option. One tooth is only a few mm so it can be taken up by the chain adjustment, it's not moved by much.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Actually. It does effect the speedo. My scooter was 4-5 mph off when I Dyno'd it with the stock rear sprocket. When I changed from 46 to a 43 tooth the next Dyno showed it spot on. So yes Virginia, it does make a difference.😎

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
The speedo doest run off the sprocket so isn't effected.
Common practice to changed the front as its easyer than the rear and usually cheaper option. One tooth is only a few mm so it can be taken up by the chain adjustment, it's not moved by much.

As Bearslayer already mentioned it does effect the speedo since you changed the gear ratio. Probably not enough to make a huge difference especially on the front sprocket but my guess it still will be a 2 to 3 mph difference at different speeds.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I’ve been meaning to take the chain off the front sprocket to find out for sure what feeds the speedo, but I notice that the earlier models have a speed sensor at the front sprocket. My ‘17 does not. Could the speedometer be getting a reading from the front or rear ABS sensor? The service manual that I have makes no mention of bikes without this sensor at the sprocket.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I’ve been meaning to take the chain off the front sprocket to find out for sure what feeds the speedo, but I notice that the earlier models have a speed sensor at the front sprocket. My ‘17 does not. Could the speedometer be getting a reading from the front or rear ABS sensor? The service manual that I have makes no mention of bikes without this sensor at the sprocket.
I doubt that the speedometer is getting readings from the ABS sensors since not all US Models have ABS. I have no clue where the Speedometer gets the measurements from to be honest. I just figured that when you change the gearing/gear ratio it would automatically change the readout of the Speedo? More investigation is needed.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I doubt that the speedometer is getting readings from the ABS sensors since not all US Models have ABS. I have no clue where the Speedometer gets the measurements from to be honest. I just figured that when you change the gearing/gear ratio it would automatically change the readout of the Speedo? More investigation is needed.
There’s a speed sensor that reads from the end of the output shaft. On 2015-2016 models. (The end of the shaft the front sprocket is on). The end of the shaft is square and every time a corner passes in front of the sensor it induces a measurable current or flux, if you will. The computer does the rest of the calculation.
On newer models with the gear position indication in the meter (2017-) that speed sensor is relocated to the trans cover (in the same area). I believe this sensor does double duty for speed and gear indication.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Actually

Guys is it necessary to buy buster plug if I use stock exhaust?

IN a word NOPE. You can ride the Vulcan S Box Stock, However if you change the exhaust to a less restrictive state ( modify or switch) you would be better off since the less restrictive exhaust will result in leaning an already lean Fuel \ air ratio. The Boosterplug will help the twitchy throttle ( as will a 43 T rear sprocket) and it will richen the fuel / air ratio during acceleration. But it is not necessary . Just ride ( if you have the weather for it ) and have fun.:grin2:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
mine is uk model with abs, certainly seen no pickup on the sprocket or retaining nut. could be in gearbox but speedo was 2 or 3 mph fast anyway so wouldnt be a problem.

·
Registered
902 Posts
mine is uk model with abs, certainly seen no pickup on the sprocket or retaining nut. could be in gearbox but speedo was 2 or 3 mph fast anyway so wouldnt be a problem.
If you have a 2017-up model with the gear indicator included in the meter, that speed sensor is not in that position, but on the transmission cover, but it’s in the same area, under the plastic sprocket cover. You will see the
wire leading to it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts