Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after my mishap (hornet up sleeve post) I flirted with many different bikes. I became seriously interested in the 1700lt and almost pulled the trigger on it. Almost. I only needed to sign the paper when all of a sudden I had an epiphany of sorts. I picked the 900 two short months ago for a reason. I liked it. Bearing that in mind I rode a brand new Pearl/titanium bike home yesterday. Oh, and there were posts asking everybody what they named their bike.....mine is now called, ahem, The HORNET.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Congrats, and LOVE the name!!! You should get a vanity plate now that says HORNET or BUZZZZZ, lol.

·
Registered
657 Posts
"Mishaps" are those things that try our love and dedication to riding. I'd be kinda curious why you were considering the 1700 and what kept you with the 900. Though I can certainly understand why you'd like the 900 to begin with...

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
"Mishaps" are those things that try our love and dedication to riding. I'd be kinda curious why you were considering the 1700 and what kept you with the 900. Though I can certainly understand why you'd like the 900 to begin with...
1700 PROS:
1. Air adjustable rear shocks
2."Trick" key removal ignition system
3.110 ft/lbs torque
4.Tubeless tires
5.Comfortable seat
6.Metal fenders
7.No valve adjustment needed
8.No/little plastic
9.SIX SPEED.
10.110 ft/lbs torque.....ahem.
11.SEAMLESS GAS TANK!
These bikes are well worth considering.

1700 Cons:
1.Heat issues
2.Extra weight
3.First year model (possibly have bugs)
4."Flickability" issues.
5.I ran out of cons.

This is a personal list, some of these may or may not be applicable to someone else's list. I did quite a bit of research, and when/if I bump up, I will buy a 1700.
My main reason for staying with the nine was comfortability/flickability. I find the nine VERY EASY TO RIDE. Quite possibly the most comfortable motorcycle I have Ever ridden. I tend to "relax" when I ride the nine....which is WHY I ride.
Regards-Silent.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Yeah...well... the day someone builds an absolutely perfect bike, let me know. My thinking was keeping the weight down when I got my 900. It has plenty as a solo rider, wish it had just a bit more when 2 up and in a group (plenty when we're riding alone). I also got a swinging deal as a year-end close out ($1700 off MSRP). I figured I could make it what I wanted. I will eventually get a bigger bike for more long distance touring and will be considering the 1700, but this won't be for 2-3 years. I took a long look at the 1700 and like most of what I see. I do know when I get a bigger bike I'm going to want ABS and I have no problem going to another brand if a bike has all of what I want. So we'll see what's out there then... Thanks for the response...

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After you start the bike, you can remove the key and put it in your pocket...Kawi says it saves your bike from getting "key scratched"....a feature ALL bikes should have, I always hated my keys jangling from my ignition switch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
After you start the bike, you can remove the key and put it in your pocket...Kawi says it saves your bike from getting "key scratched"....a feature ALL bikes should have, I always hated my keys jangling from my ignition switch.
That must be new with the 2009... I can't do that on my 2007.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Bummer...:cool:

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That must be new with the 2009... I can't do that on my 2007.
The post is in response to a question.....what I liked about the new 1700lt.
Go back and take a look, I researched the 1700,,,,I almost bought it.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I had seen on VN750 a guy that used the chrome end cap off of a grip from a junk bike hollowed it out and epoxied the head of his key into it. Then when it was in the ignition it would kinda blend in and wouldn't jingle-jangle all day long. Plus according to him then he didn't have to remove it when he got off. Personally I wouldn't go that route. I am going to try to find that post.
I would rather have how my wifes car is, proximity key. Just get close enough and you can start it up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts