Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after getting the bagger nearly complete, and taking a ride down into NC and TN from VA last weekend, I found some flaws in my execution of the project. Easily fixed, but flaws nonetheless. One of the biggest flaws is the fact that the fender isn't suitable for a passenger without having a custom inner brace fabbed up which wouldn't get done until next year sometime as the local shops around here are all backed up and they'd need my fender for fitment. I can't see not riding to wait that long. And since my lady is complaining she can't ride with me anymore, which is something we both loved, I have been throwing around a few ideas in my head how to make that happen.

First idea I had was the same one I had all along which was fabricate a bracket that attached to the fender struts and went over the fender (similar to a solo rack) that I could attach a pillion to. I mocked one up out of poster board and frankly, I don't like the looks of it, and it was a better plan in my head vs real time.

Next idea is to put it back to stock like it was when we rode together before, but really, stock bikes aren't much fun. So I'm scratching that idea pretty quick.

My other idea, which is the one I'm leaning towards now, is making a tail dragger. Which really only consists of changing the rear fender, seat and possibly the front fender in the future. If my plan works, I can convert from bagger to dragger in about 30 minutes. This way I can have a solo bike, and a 2 up bike, without having to buy 2 bikes. It'd be like buying another custom 900 for 600 bucks without the added costs of insurance tags taxes, etc. (Yes, I'm very cheap that way lol)

But I wanted to pose a question to you guys for your opinions. Would the fairing look ok with a tail dragger rear end? I've gotten so used to it and having tunes while riding now is so great I'd hate to give it up if it's gonna look like poo. What do you think?

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Form vs Function?

But I wanted to pose a question to you guys for your opinions. Would the fairing look ok with a tail dragger rear end? I've gotten so used to it and having tunes while riding now is so great I'd hate to give it up if it's gonna look like poo. What do you think?
one mans poo is not another mans poo. U do watt U want an F those that think diff.. if it looks good to U is all that matters.. tell them hardley azzhats where to get off. they can go buy wtf finished thing they want, as they don't have cahonies to do nuthin themselves.

What I have found thru lotts of mods to most every bike I wrench.. is that trying to make 1 bike do the job of 2 or 3 is a total waste of resources.. you wind up with A bike that is good at neither specific type of riding.

So.. watt to do, watt to do, hmm.. watt I did is gott me nuther bike. one specifically fitted to the task at hand, say bar hopper? butt then that was no good for Kanyon Karving.. so needed a Bender Bike.. gott that.. then needed something for Kross Kountry.. gott that..
perty much limit myself to just 2 or 3 anymore as they become more work and up keep. have to rotate riding them just to keep the tires round, etc..
hey you asked.. poncho

upside to this formula; anytime one yor sleds is down or under the knife, you always gotta back up and never go thru the shakes of nott bein able to ride when you need nuther therapy session.
and your nott in a hurry to get a project done just so you can get a ride in. you get to take yor time and enjoy the project, document it, even morph it if you see a mor better way..

·
Registered
154 Posts
I am all for the 2 in one bike route, I have done the same thing with mine, everything is a simple change out so I could go back to totally open stock or full up bagger or some weird mix in between, and also all in about 30 minutes.

I know exactly what you mean with the fairing. I dunno if I could take mine off now I get that much out of it, plus the more time goes by the more I install stuff in and around it making it look weird when it's off...

it doesnt matter how your bike looks to others, unless thats your thing, it matters how the bike looks and feels to you. :)

happy customizing :)

·
Registered
847 Posts
I agree we need more than one bike, for reason said. Could we dispense with the language, just because we ride is no reason to pollute the site. Has anyone seen Dark Archer lately?

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
And since my lady is complaining she can't ride with me anymore, which is something we both loved,
You could always buy her a bike .... remember ... if momma ain't happy, aiin't nobody happy.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could we dispense with the language, just because we ride is no reason to pollute the site. Has anyone seen Dark Archer lately?
I didn't see any foul or fowl language unless it's been pulled already. Also, no, I haven't seen Archer posting lately either...was wondering about him.

You could always buy her a bike .... remember ... if momma ain't happy, aiin't nobody happy.
That is an option, but as I stated before, being able to find a $600 bike that is suitable for riding without having to dump a butt ton of money into it to make it decent is pretty hard if not impossible to find around here. But I agree, if mama ain't happy, nobody is happy. For giggles and tossing around other options to make the current bagger set up to be 2-up I had her sit on the fender and with the bag placement, her calves are uncomfortably resting on the front of the bags so much so that even relocating the foot pegs doesn't help. Relocating the bags, and the fender (so both match up in the rear like they do now) would cost me a ton more cash as I'd have to completely redo the seat pan and fender which I'd rather not do. She wants her own bike "eventually" she told me yesterday, but "for now" wants to just ride with me on mine, which I enjoy as well. I got all the parts I needed to do the new project for under $600 bucks, minus color options. And with my idea, doing a final painting where both options are painted the same would be the obvious choice.
I ended up getting a Granucci seat, and have read mixed reviews on it as far as comfort level. They are pretty thin padding wise, which I like aesthetically, and also prefer a stiffer seat padding or in this case, lack of padding as super soft "cushy" seats annoy me. The drivers portion is about as thick as the passenger pad on a custom's stock seat from what I can see in the pics. If anyone else has ridden on a Granucci and would weigh in on their thoughts or opinions I would welcome them as well.

·
Registered
236 Posts
the whole point about customizing a bike (or anything really) is to make it unique and to your taste. What's the point of having a custom bike that looks like everyone else's custom bike. Theres' nothing wrong in having a mix of 2 different look. Maybe you'll end up starting a new trend. for example Bagger + Dragger = Bragger, (sounds kinda cool, eh?)

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the whole point about customizing a bike (or anything really) is to make it unique and to your taste. What's the point of having a custom bike that looks like everyone else's custom bike.
I agree completely. Part of the reason I didn't go the Blue Collar Bobber route. Too cookie cutter for me.
Theres' nothing wrong in having a mix of 2 different look. Maybe you'll end up starting a new trend. for example Bagger + Dragger = Bragger, (sounds kinda cool, eh?)
I like that! The VN900 Bragger - From bagger to dragger in under 30 minutes!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I agree completely. Part of the reason I didn't go the Blue Collar Bobber route. Too cookie cutter for me.
don't get me wrong, the blue collar bobber is a great kit for someone with limited fabrication skills, all the thinking and tinkering has been done, so it's an easy mod for some with basic skills

I want to take my bike to the extreme, just lacking the funds to do

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
the whole point about customizing a bike (or anything really) is to make it unique and to your taste. What's the point of having a custom bike that looks like everyone else's custom bike. Theres' nothing wrong in having a mix of 2 different look. Maybe you'll end up starting a new trend. for example Bagger + Dragger = Bragger, (sounds kinda cool, eh?)
tramps,, or you could wind up with something resembles a "yabadabadoo" skoot.. but that mite jus pizzoff the linquist policeman.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I want to take my bike to the extreme, just lacking the funds to do
Depending on what you plan on doing, funds (or lack there of) can be a hinderance. Everything I'm doing is being done with extremely discounted parts and basic tools I have laying around. Between both conversions, the most expensive part is gonna be the paint supplies. Everything else, will be less than $1000 for both conversions combined. At least that's what I've allotted myself.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Phase II of the "Bragger" project is nearly complete. Just have to wait for the paint and clear to cure for about a week or so and then I can color sand and polish the piss out of her. I didn't quite have enough paint to do the saddle bags and bagger fender to match the dragger, so that'll have to wait until spring most likely. For now, I'm really happy with the way she turned out.
A little back story on the paint job:
I originally was going to go with a 2 tone black and red, with pin stripe between the colors to separate them, and then hydrographics in the red portion. After basically wasting money on the film, activator, and $130 per pint HOK paint, I painted the "tins" and she turned out beautiful. Then came time for the graphics. All the research I did, and questions posed to the various manufacturers on cure times prior to dipping etc, I followed instructions strictly. Even prolonging cure time of paint prior to dipping. Well, the activator (I'm assuming) reacted with the paint and absolutely ruined it. I could rub the paint off with my thumb, straight down to the primer. Within 45 minutes 75% of the paint was off the rear fender, using only my thumb. So back to drawing board.
I ended up taking everything down to the bare metal, except the front fender which I just took back down to the primer, and resealed and reprimed the metal parts. I then went and picked up some new paint and proceeded to paint, again. And I have to say, I think it came out great. The color is a deep copper metallic that really comes to life in sunlight. It's faded from black at the bottom to the copper. All of the body work and paint was done in my dad's car wash bay while it was broke down awaiting repairs. And considering it was my first ever paint job, I'm quite happy with the results.
Here's a little teaser of the almost finished product.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Phase II of the "Bragger" project is nearly complete. Just have to wait for the paint and clear to cure for about a week or so and then I can color sand and polish the piss out of her. I didn't quite have enough paint to do the saddle bags and bagger fender to match the dragger, so that'll have to wait until spring most likely. For now, I'm really happy with the way she turned out.
A little back story on the paint job:
I originally was going to go with a 2 tone black and red, with pin stripe between the colors to separate them, and then hydrographics in the red portion. After basically wasting money on the film, activator, and $130 per pint HOK paint, I painted the "tins" and she turned out beautiful. Then came time for the graphics. All the research I did, and questions posed to the various manufacturers on cure times prior to dipping etc, I followed instructions strictly. Even prolonging cure time of paint prior to dipping. Well, the activator (I'm assuming) reacted with the paint and absolutely ruined it. I could rub the paint off with my thumb, straight down to the primer. Within 45 minutes 75% of the paint was off the rear fender, using only my thumb. So back to drawing board.
I ended up taking everything down to the bare metal, except the front fender which I just took back down to the primer, and resealed and reprimed the metal parts. I then went and picked up some new paint and proceeded to paint, again. And I have to say, I think it came out great. The color is a deep copper metallic that really comes to life in sunlight. It's faded from black at the bottom to the copper. All of the body work and paint was done in my dad's car wash bay while it was broke down awaiting repairs. And considering it was my first ever paint job, I'm quite happy with the results.
Here's a little teaser of the almost finished product.

What rear fender is that?

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
dci,, the morphication process is coming along nicely.. it just needs a little more salt.. and maybe a bigger motor? poncho

ps. rootbeer is my fav kolor.. halfway tween red n blak, the only two kolors of real bikes.

Attachments

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
one mans poo is not another mans poo. U do watt U want an F those that think diff.. if it looks good to U is all that matters.. tell them hardley azzhats where to get off. they can go buy wtf finished thing they want, as they don't have cahonies to do nuthin themselves.

What I have found thru lotts of mods to most every bike I wrench.. is that trying to make 1 bike do the job of 2 or 3 is a total waste of resources.. you wind up with A bike that is good at neither specific type of riding.

So.. watt to do, watt to do, hmm.. watt I did is gott me nuther bike. one specifically fitted to the task at hand, say bar hopper? butt then that was no good for Kanyon Karving.. so needed a Bender Bike.. gott that.. then needed something for Kross Kountry.. gott that..
perty much limit myself to just 2 or 3 anymore as they become more work and up keep. have to rotate riding them just to keep the tires round, etc..
hey you asked.. poncho

upside to this formula; anytime one yor sleds is down or under the knife, you always gotta back up and never go thru the shakes of nott bein able to ride when you need nuther therapy session.
and your nott in a hurry to get a project done just so you can get a ride in. you get to take yor time and enjoy the project, document it, even morph it if you see a mor better way..
I'm with you Ponch, 2 bikes is the way to go! As I always have a project lined up for either or both. No hurry in getting the one off the lift that is, as you say, under the knife..

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What rear fender is that?
It's an Arlen Ness Tail Dragger fender. Normally sells for over $500 bucks I got on Craigslist for under 50.
dci,, the morphication process is coming along nicely.. it just needs a little more salt.. and maybe a bigger motor? poncho

ps. rootbeer is my fav kolor.. halfway tween red n blak, the only two kolors of real bikes.
Thanks Poncho. A bigger motor would be nice, but I'm happy with the 900 for now. The color does kind of resemble a root beer at times. The color changes so much depending on the light. It's actually a copper metallic.
I'm with you Ponch, 2 bikes is the way to go! As I always have a project lined up for either or both. No hurry in getting the one off the lift that is, as you say, under the knife..
A second bike would be ideal. But this was much more cost effective for me being on a very limited budget.

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
Got a 401K plan? Why wait until retirement to enjoy life? LOL

Both my rides came out of my hard saved dollars in my 401K. Figured I could get the most use out of my money right freakin now. Worth it to me!

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I tell ya, I wish I had known about 401k when I was younger. By the time I figured it out, I was nearly 40, and out of work because of back issues. So now, it's just scrape by as best I can. I just need to play the lottery and hope to win before retirement age LOL

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Enjoy that machine! Looks great!

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Romans. I'm pretty happy with it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts