Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fitted my newly received Saddlemen explorer seat on my 900 Classic, it seemed a bit hard to fit at first but I thought it was normal, the front hook being metal instead of plastic. But it did set firmly on and seemed well secured.
I went on a 30k ride just to try it .
Problem started when back home I tried to remove it, the key turns a bit clockwise but there is no way the seat will come off!
No matter how I push or pull while turning the key.
If I force turning the key more I believe it will break.
Anyone having had that kind of problem?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
As the Fonz would say: "Sit on it!"
Seriously, try sitting or putting a lot of downward pressure near the front part of the rear pillion while turning the key. This will relieve the pressure on the latch, and should allow the seat to release. Before you put the seat back on, try a couple of washers between the seat and the latch on each side.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Also, make sure the release cable didn't get caught between one of the seat pan's rubber bumpers and the bike's frame where those bumpers rest on.

·
Registered
698 Posts
As the Fonz would say: "Sit on it!"
Seriously, try sitting or putting a lot of downward pressure near the front part of the rear pillion while turning the key.
+ this. Also helps to push down with a bouncing motion (rather than steady) and turning key. Once you get the seat off check that there is nothing that might be getting in the way and making the installation a bit tight - e.g. breather hose, cables etc. If there is nothing then it's just a tight fit.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I recently installed a Mustang Daytripper and, too, found it a little difficult to latch the first time. Today I tried removing the seat and it did not budge. When I turned the key I could hear the lever going to full open. There's a mechanical stop that I heard clicking so I knew the claws were retracting away from the seat posts yet the seat wouldn't move.
I had my "assistant" hold the key in the open position and really got after pulling the seat up. Much to my relief the seat finally came loose from the latching mechanism. There was nothing wrong with the claws so in looking further I found the OEM bracket on the new seat was not aligning with the two tubes of the latch they slide into. The pins on the bracket were at a different angle to the two tubes so there was instant interference when I would push down on the seat. I determined which way it was off and cut a thin washer in half using each half under the bracket to cock the pins more in the direction they should be going. With the key held "open" I could test the fitment to see if the pins were binding in the tubes or not. It wasn't until I was satisfied that the binding was gone did I lube the pins and test the lock. All is well.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!
I will try all suggestions.

I aslo can hear a clicking sound when I turn the key and it actually does a quarter turn, so perhaps like you Sojourner it is just stuck.
The new seat had no bracket, I had to use the original one from the stock seat so I don't think it is not properly aligning, what I stupidly forgot to check was the washers that should come between the bracket and the seat frame.

If ever I can't get the seat off, is there anything on the underside of the fender that is holding the seat bolts ? and that I could remove...

Apart from this, the Saddlemen seat is better than the old one, overall it is fitting my backside a lot better, still feels I am sitting on a narrow piece of wood but I believe it requires some break in time, , and for A$290 I should be happy.
Just need to find a way to get the blasted thing off now! :mad:

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Thanks!
I will try all suggestions.

I aslo can hear a clicking sound when I turn the key and it actually does a quarter turn, so perhaps like you Sojourner it is just stuck.
The new seat had no bracket, I had to use the original one from the stock seat so I don't think it is not properly aligning, what I stupidly forgot to check was the washers that should come between the bracket and the seat frame.

If ever I can't get the seat off, is there anything on the underside of the fender that is holding the seat bolts ? and that I could remove...

Apart from this, the Saddlemen seat is better than the old one, overall it is fitting my backside a lot better, still feels I am sitting on a narrow piece of wood but I believe it requires some break in time, , and for A$290 I should be happy.
Just need to find a way to get the blasted thing off now! :mad:
I believe all the after-market seats for the Vulcan require using the OEM mounting bracket from the original seat. What I found with the Mustang seat was the frame of the seat, the plastic mold, had a different contour to the OEM seat where the mounting bracket bolts up to. This threw off the alignment of the pins to the latching mechanism bolted to the fender. It was just enough to cause the pins to bind when the seat was latched.
After I finally got the seat off, I took the left side cover off so I could see the back of the key lock and could stick a screwdriver in to keep the latch open. Then I took masking tape and did one wrap around each pin. I fitted the seat carefully until I felt it binding. I did this a couple of times then removed the seat and looked to see where the masking tape was being pushed back. Now I knew where I had to shim the mounting bracket to align the pins to the latching mechanism.
You posted that you hear the click of the latching mechanism when you turn the key and I assume the movement of the key is smooth and not binding.
From what I can determine there's no way to disassemble the rear fender to get to the latching mechanism so you're just going to have to use force to free up the seat. Good luck.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GOT IT!!

Thanks guys, your advices were much appreciated and helpful.
Actually Pacomutt you were spot on, I had a friend applying heavy pressure on the seat while I turned the key, the seat came off!
Then, like you said, I inserted a couple of washers between the frame and the bracket, lube, I was then able to remove the seat easily on my own.
Problem fixed in 1 day.
This forum is really great!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You posted that you hear the click of the latching mechanism when you turn the key and I assume the movement of the key is smooth and not binding.
From what I can determine there's no way to disassemble the rear fender to get to the latching mechanism so you're just going to have to use force to free up the seat. Good luck.
Sojourner, thanks god (or whoever else) I did not have to use force to free up the seat or break the left side plastic cover!
Yes the key was moving clockwise a bit but I did not feel the slightest resistance, it then stopped, I knew it was still locked at this stage, only when heavy pressure was applied on top of the seat then the key moved further releasing the latch and we were able to pull the seat off.
Thanks for your thorough explanation, yes I believe there might be a bit of misalignment too as I checked up the plastic shape of the seat like you and yes it is not quite like the old one, I will check all this better when I get home tonight as I am at work now.
Thanks

·
Registered
450 Posts
I've had this same issue since I got my bike (it came with a saddlemen profiler). I've almost broken both of my keyes trying to get it off. Never thought about adding in a few washers to make it easier. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've had this same issue since I got my bike (it came with a saddlemen profiler). I've almost broken both of my keyes trying to get it off. Never thought about adding in a few washers to make it easier. Thanks for the tip!
Yes, but you can't put too thick washer on as then if you add the pillion strap plus its own washer you don't have much left to screw the bolt on...

I added a couple of washers and it is still hard to get the seat off, can't turn the key completely if I don't press firmly on the seat at the same time, but it works so I will have to live with this.

By the way how do you like the Saddlemen seat?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Yes, but you can't put too thick washer on as then if you add the pillion strap plus its own washer you don't have much left to screw the bolt on...

I added a couple of washers and it is still hard to get the seat off, can't turn the key completely if I don't press firmly on the seat at the same time, but it works so I will have to live with this.

By the way how do you like the Saddlemen seat?
I only had the pillion strap for my State inspection, actually I never had one as it doesn't come with the seat. The dealership that did my inspection fabricated one for me that I removed.

Edit: Forgot to answer your question about how I like the seat.

I never rode with the stock seat, my bike came with the saddlemen already installed. I can't ride for more than an hour before my tailbone and lower back start to hurt. I'm not sure if this is soley due to the seat since I have some lower back issues though. I am looking at getting a Corbin solo seat with a backrest. If only mustang made a solo seat for the 900 I'd be all over that like white on rice.

·
Registered
14 Posts
after you push and bounce and get the seat to release put the washers between the mount and the seat, hade the same problem, I sure hope you like this seat better than I do!!!

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
after you push and bounce and get the seat to release put the washers between the mount and the seat, hade the same problem, I sure hope you like this seat better than I do!!!
Two things to adjust. Do the pins go deep enough in the pockets of the latch to allow the claws of the latch to engage without a lot of strain? Second, do the pins slip in and out of the pockets without binding? The angle of the pins may need shimming one way or the other to align them with the pockets of the latch and/or the bracket may require more washers to allow the pins to go deeper into the pockets. With someone holding the key in the full open position, try gently fitting the seat. If you feel binding then align the pins to the pockets. If the pins enter the pockets smoothly, do you feel the pins bottom in the pockets without pushing too hard? Add more washers until it does.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
i just bought a new mustang seat and havent had problems with the install. and for the mustang seat, i did have to remove the OEM bracket from the OEM seat and place it in the mustang seat. but since i like to have everything 100%, i bought a spare bracket so i can put it on the oem seat. i havent had any problems with the removing of the seat. hopefully i dont face it.

thanks for the info guys

1 - 15 of 15 Posts