Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys!

I know this topic has probably been beat to death..I'm just wondering if anybody with some customs out there have saddlebags...and if you could post a pic of it??

I'm interested highly in the Saddlemen Cruis'n Teardrop bags like this: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/13/124/19907/ITEM/Saddlemen-Cruisn-Teardrop-Saddlebags.aspx?SiteID=CSE_Nextag_124&WT.mc_ID=80005&zmam=88421133&zmas=1&zmac=4&zmap=19907

I think personally that they'd look awesome as hell on the custom...but man I dont wanna pay that much..I know I know. The wife tells me to do it b/c that's what i want, and call it for our anniversary next month....so I might...

But I'm also wondering what this one may be like....the Saddlemen slant face bags: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/13/124/19904/ITEM/Saddlemen-Cruisn-Slant-Face-Pouch-Saddlebags.aspx?SiteID=CSE_Nextag_124&WT.mc_ID=80005&zmam=88421133&zmas=1&zmac=4&zmap=19904

I'm curious also to know what 'large' bags looks like as opposed to 'jumbo'. I've heard some say that the 'large' bags are too small.

I'm not looking to store a ton of stuff...just maybe a rain suit...and some other things, so I dont have to wear my gay ass fanny pack anymore...lol.

Opinions? Pics?
Thanks in advance! I have an 07 900 Vulcan Custom btw!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Don't have the Saddleman myself, but my brother just picked up the teardrop bags for his Mean Streak. By the end of our 8 day trip they have started to sag quite a bit on the back slanted surface and the lids. I have Viking Bags on my Custom and they have been holding up great.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the pics Richard! Looks good! That's interesting that the teardrops started to 'sag'.....very odd actually..did he not have them braced in any fashion? Maybe that's why they sagged?

I like those teardrops...but the slanted ones might be mine for teh price.........

·
Registered
256 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Big moe...I seem to not be able to copy and paste that link in to see your pics..........

And MLR....are those jumbos? Or large???

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just now saw em big moe...Nice!

Just wondering still if I should go with the large...or the jumbos. I could always hard mount these...I'd just have to put a hole in them.....the teardrop bags come with some kind of mounting kit I believe..

The slant face ones dont.....

I dunno..lol...still trying to make my mind up.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I would say a large. They didn't have a size option with the Drifter bag. The nice part about them is, you open the lid and there are 2 1/4 turn buckles and off they come (takes about 30 seconds to remove). They also have a key to lock the buckles to help with theft.

HTH
Max

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I gotchya.....but did you install the quick disconnect bar too? Or is that just mounted to the chrome trim piece??....or did it come with it's own install kit?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Here is mine with Ghost brackets and extra jumbo slant bags from saddleman

We were heading out for a long weekend so I had every bit of storage filled on the bike. My wife does not "pack light"

·
Registered
117 Posts
They come with a mounting bar that mounts to the strut. The 1/4 turn buckles insert into the mounting bolts that hold the bar to the strut. I can take a pick tomorrow with a bag off so you can see how they work, if you would like.

·
Registered
376 Posts
When it comes to the Saddleman, I would say Jumbo is the way to go. The Large is not all that big. If you use Easybrackets be aware that the mounting surface on the saddleman is plastic and not all that strong (mine cracked). Use fender washers or a plate on the inside of the bag to re-enforce. I have the Highwayman Elite large slant.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Blue..thanks..I've heard that the 'large' aren't all that big......but I honestly dont have much to 'tote' around...and didnt want to take up a bunch of back room with bags....but i didnt want it to look all weird either.....

So I'm still debating..i dont know..I like the two that I posted...I really like the teardrops...but I don't want to pay no $250 ....and I know that's cheap..but still..

Still taking suggestions tho...lol...

Thanks for the input....I'll take it under advisement....haha

·
Registered
117 Posts
Here is a shot of the 1/4 turn buckles:

Here is a shot of the bracket:

Here is a shot of the back side of the bag:

HTH
Max

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh okay..I see how it is.....so those bags actually came with those brackets?? cuz that's actually a good deal if so...I actually dont know what those cost....but..even if it's $200...that's not bad for everythin together.....

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
When it comes to the Saddleman, I would say Jumbo is the way to go. The Large is not all that big. If you use Easybrackets be aware that the mounting surface on the saddleman is plastic and not all that strong (mine cracked). Use fender washers or a plate on the inside of the bag to re-enforce. I have the Highwayman Elite large slant.
I re-used the "T" washers that came off the bike, so there was no pressure on the plastic trim. I was able to crank the receivers down nice & tight.

I've got the jumbo teardrops on my Classic. I'll try to get some pics later. Mine don't sag, but I don't put anything heavy in them (no grocery shopping trips!). If I'm taking anything heavy I bust out the old gay backpack.

The jumbos are just big enough for me. I think the large would be too small.

I just re read Blue's post. With the quick release brackets that I used, you don't tighten anything down on the plastic back of the saddlebag except the little retainer at the bottom.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Bill! THanks man! I just photoshopped the teardrops on my custom...and man they look awesome....I'm gonna have to save and get those...just need to figure the size out...like I said..I'm not carrying anything major by any means....maybe a rainsuit...and my insurance info...and my wallet....that's about it! So the Large might be okay for me...just dont know.......yet...

I'd appreciate the pics! Thanks!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts