Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Finally found a nice pic of Extra Jumbo bags, though on a 900 Classic, on @tommyarmour's bike. I think the back end of the Custom and Classics aren't that different, right? I'm thinking the Extra Jumbo's should fit my Custom.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just put on the saddlemen drifter ridge mount for my 900 classic. They fit my bike perfect, and my mechanic said for me not to go with the Extra Jumbo because they are not specific fit. 3501-0485 thats the model number from saddlemen. They look great and they hold a great amount of stuff. Will be posting pics soon.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well I wound up getting Saddlemen Highwayman Slant bags, jumbo sized. They look good. I used Cobra brackets. I've since taken the bags off though. I used grade 10.9, partial threaded, and the bags are mounted pretty solidly but I don't like the whole setup. With the back rest installed, the bag mounts, and the bags themselves and the bike bouncing around that's a decent amount of shear strain on only 2 bolts per bag. I was going to try welding an arm from the bag supports to maybe the rear footpegs but I'm just not liking the whole setup. I figure it's another thing to worry about while riding. I have a Kuryakyn sissy bag coming. Gonna strap that bast*d to the back rest and under the pillion and should be good to go.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
FWIW, I finally got the special $20 Kawi bolt so I can see what's what. No wonder why they don't last long. The transition from the threaded shaft to the nut and/or spacer isn't radiused. It's a 90º which will be prone to stress breaks. If they radiused the transition like this screw it would be a lot stronger and less prone to breaking from the tensile stress. In my pic it looks like the short threaded shaft is radiused to the spacer but it's not. No transitions are radiused which I'm surprised about. Kawi needs to update and change their design to make this bolt safer to use. Think I'm gonna make my own. :smile2:

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts