Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I just received my new Saddlemen Explorer Seat for my Vulcan 900 Custom last Friday, and I couldn't be more... disappointed. I ordered it from Dennis Kirk and my experience with them has been satisfying so far; too bad the seat sucks. I guess I'm going to find out how Dennis Kirk's return policy is. :\

So here's my complaint: I feel like my whole body has been shifted foward 1.5" - 2" and now I'm way too close to my foot controls. While I have better back support over the stock seat, I don't think I will ever get used to sitting that far forward.

So now I'm in search of a new replacement seat. Does anyone have an aftermarket, two-up seat which is comfortable for the long rides but also keeps the rider in a 'stock' position and 'stock' distances from the control? Thanks so much!!

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
The mustang seat also moves you forward (as most do), the extra room for the passenger has to come from some where. There are a couple of other options, do a search. I am awaiting a saddleman renegade solo for my custom that i pick up tomorrow, so it will be interesting to see where that moves me as well.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
711 Posts
The Corbin Young Guns is one of the very few that will move you back so you might want to check the Corbin Touring. In my opinion the best seat available next to the russell daylong.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ouch! This whole seat thing totally sucks. If you don't know anyone with the aftermarket seat you're interested in so you can sit on it, you're buying totally blind. Even then, sitting on it for a few minutes is a different game than being on it for hours. I was lucky enough to know someone who had a Corbin, didn't like it and bought a Mustang. He still has the Corbin so I got to at least see and feel them both, and sit on the Mustang, which he has on the bike now (VTX). The Corbin was HARD. Not firm, HARD. I ended up with a Mustang dual tour with drivers backrest. It's waaaaaayyyyyy better than stock, but not perfect. After a couple of hours my butt is still a little sore, but it goes away pretty fast. Same for my wife, although she gets uncomfortable a bit sooner than I do. Now I'm second guessing our decision - maybe should have tried a Corbin? Some people swear by them. I'll tell you one thing though - the Corbin looks great and seems to be VERY well made.

I guess the Mustang puts me a little higher than stock, but I don't notice it much. I find I'm either farther back, or the same distance back as stock, but leaning back. I had to add some risers because I was reaching for the bars so much more.

I wish you luck. Please be sure to post back what you do.

Kerry

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I have a friend with a Corbin seat on his Rocket III. Looks nice, looks well made and he loves it. But when I asked him why he always put a plastic bag over it at work he told me that the foam had broken down and now the seat cups and holds water. Since the surface is leather, the water will cause it to harden and crack so he has to make sure it's always protected from rain. Also it was a used bike that already had the seat on it and he says that the foam was already broken in for a different rider(?!?) and that Corbin will replace it for a nominal fee. It's interesting, you can actually see his butt print in the seat all the time. My Mustang seat didn't require any breaking in period and the foam and upholstery return to the original shape in a few minutes.

That said, my Mustang Vintage Wide Touring seat does move me up and forward. I don't feel like I'm any closer to the pegs ('07 Custom), but I am up a bit higher.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Corbin Young Guns is one of the very few that will move you back so you might want to check the Corbin Touring. In my opinion the best seat available next to the russell daylong.
That sounds pretty good to me (actually moving back a little on the bike). I'm 5'10", so not real tall, but I feel as though my legs are longer than average (32" inseam) and I prefer the seating position of a much taller rider. I will look into the Corbin, Russell and even the Mustang seats.

BTW, I'm not bashing Saddlemen and saying they are a horrible seat manufacturer. This seat would be perfect for the shorter riders who wants to be closer to the ground and closer to the foot controls. Thanks for the input thus far!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I swapped out seats and this time I got a Parts Unlimited Mild Stitch Low-Profile Double-Bucket seat with backrest. This seat is much better as far as not moving the rider forward, hoever, it still lowers the riders height, which in turn, puts your legs closer to the foot pegs (not as bad as the Saddlemen though). I wonder if they make replacement brackets that move the foot pegs/controls forward?

The biggest surprise was the backrest. I just figured, "well my wife will love the backrest so she'll feel more 'secure' while riding". (The neat thing about this seat is the backrest can go behind either the rider or passenger.) So the first day I rode with the new seat, I had the backrest behind me and I couldn't believe how comfortable that was and how much I liked having my back supported. The next day, I rode with the backrest in the passenger position. Guess what? I missed it and moved it back behind me for the ride home in the afternoon. I still haven't gone a long ride with it yet, so I'll keep you all posted on that.

·
Registered
427 Posts
The mustang seat also moves you forward
Absolutely true. I have a Mustang, and it was a bit of surprise to discover that. It's also a bit higher, which I do like. I've become used to it, but if you're looking for a seat that doesn't push you forward, Mustang (at least the model I have) is not your choice.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Absolutely true. I have a Mustang, and it was a bit of surprise to discover that. It's also a bit higher, which I do like. I've become used to it, but if you're looking for a seat that doesn't push you forward, Mustang (at least the model I have) is not your choice.
i just put a saddleman renegade solo on my new custom today, the seating position is about the same as my mustang on my classic, Im 5'10 and have a 32" inseem and have no issues with it as yet.

Everybody has a different posture and seating position that they like to ride with ... i tend to sit upright, hence a cramped leg area is not an issue for me.

Its a shame there is no way to test all these seats out before the point of purchase.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I swapped out seats and this time I got a Parts Unlimited Mild Stitch Low-Profile Double-Bucket seat with backrest.
I'd be interested in what you have to say about it after putting some miles on it and would love to see any pictures you may have of it on your bike. After reading your post, I did some research and that seat is the new front runner in my seat search. I like how the backrest can be moved or removed, eliminating the need for a sissybar. I know the Corbin Dual Tour does this too but I emailed Corbin a few months back and was told they have a no return policy. I just can't bring myself to drop that much money on something knowing I'm stuck with it even if I don't like it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have an ultimate seat, it is awesome. Sits you a tad forward but not as much as the mustang. I was used to it in a day. Pricey, but very worth it.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have a mustang 2-up touring seat... it's comfortable, and it moves me a little forward, a little higher, and now I need 2" risers. I feel hunched over when I ride it now. Stock seat was about the perfect height for me in relation to bars, but after a couple hours that stocker got real, real hard. (5'5", 30 inch inseam).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Graybush: no problem, I'll see what I can do about getting a picture or two posted on here within a few days. Make sure you shop around because there seems to be some price discrepancies for this seat. I got it from Dennis Kirk, but I found it at meancycles.com website for $569.99. Thank god DK has a 'beat their price by a buck' policy because they had it listed at $639.99! Just call or email DK and let them know who has a better price (Ebay sales don't count).

One other thing, you can't beat DK's return policy. Just keep the box and packaging that your stuff came in; they send a return label and instructions with your item. DK only charges you $7 for returning an item and you have up to 90 days to return it. After 90 days there's a re-stocking fee, but you can still return the item. You can put a lot of miles on a new seat in 90 days!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Thank you, good sir. That would be greatly appreciated but no rush. Work is about to take me out of town for a while so I have some time before I buy. And thanks for the info about DK's return policy. That's a lot better than some places I've ordered from.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Seats

I have an ultimate seat on my 1600 nomad and just installed one on my wife's VN900. She loves it. I can't say enough about the comfort and quality of these seats. This is the third one I have bought and went right to the plant in Toronto where they are made. I had one on my previous bike a VTX 1300.
You definately sit into these seats and not just on them. Bike handles better as your centre of gravity is lower.
My wife compares hers to the leather couch in the rec room. You can go wrong with these guys.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts