Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im planning a long haul next year and need to buy some saddlebags. There is so much too choose from and i just don't know where to start. I was hoping to get some advice from experienced riders as this is my first trip. I would like something that looks good on my bike, keeps my contents dry in a rain storm, and fits my low budget. Im not asking for much am i (ha ha). some recomendations would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Im planning a long haul next year and need to buy some saddlebags. There is so much too choose from and i just don't know where to start. I was hoping to get some advice from experienced riders as this is my first trip. I would like something that looks good on my bike, keeps my contents dry in a rain storm, and fits my low budget. Im not asking for much am i (ha ha). some recomendations would be appreciated. thanks in advance.
I am also looking for some saddle bags for my Custom, and am thinking that the Viking Dynamite bag really work well on the Custom. Thanks to Richard Kerr for his post on the quality and the photos of the Dynamite bags on his Custom.

What model 900 do you have?

Andy

·
Registered
578 Posts
Thanks for the reference Andy, I have been real happy with them and they do hold a ton of stuff. I carry a big firstaid kit and raingear in one side and still have room for my wife to put her purse and light jacket, the other side holds extra gloves, face wrap, extra shades, snacks and at least 6 water bottles wit room for more. You will read that Viking has customer service problems, I didn't have any problems and got the bags real quick. Look through my posts for some pics, I think the shape works real nice with the Custom.

·
Registered
176 Posts
You have to decide a few things, do you want leather or simulated leather soft bags, or do you want hard bags. It's mostly personal preference. Hardbags usually require painting if you want them to match your bike. Do you want them removable, how large do you want them. If you want to look at a whole bunch of different bags go the J&P cycles, they have Ameritex, Saddlemen,Willie & Max and a couple of others. I don't know if I'd buy them there, but there's a large selection you can choose from. After you pick one then search the web for the best price. In the soft bags I would look for a box type lid, they are probably more water proof. The cheaper the bag is the less likely it will hold it's shape well. Most of these use a thin plastic liner to hold there shape but sag over time. Willie & Max Revolution series uses a wire frame and reinforced gussets to hold there shape.

If your interested in cheaper hard bags, look at this web site:

http://www.mutazu.com/products.php?cat_id=7&menu=Hard Saddlebags&product_id=101&s=prod.php

If you want to see pictures of these hardbags on a 900 custom go to the Bike of the month forum and look at the Sep. Bike of the month entry thread, my bike's the Candy Plasma Blue bike with the MU hardbags.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks all for replying. I checked out the Dynamite web site and Andy I agree the Dynamite viking bag would work well. I like how it mounts to the bike and it seems to have alot of room which I think I will need. Thanks Andy and Richard. I ride a 06 classic

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just put Kuryakyn gran throw-over bags(http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go/Home.ProductDetail/catID/20/scID/59/IMID/694) on my '09 classic and I think they look good as well as have a ton of room and rain covers for them. They are canvas and not leather but I haven't been able to find any leather bags for the price that are what I was looking for. Paired them with Cobra saddle bag brakets and standard sissy bar and really ties it all toether for me. Waiting to put a windshield and highway bars on it then will post some pictures.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts