Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up my first cruiser, 09 Custom, and love it. I'd like to commute on it but need baggage for hauling lunch, paperwork, etc.. I have a backpack mounted to my sissybar for now but want bags. From all my research it appears the Vikings, Saddleman, and the Kawi bags are pretty much what people are using, except the hard bags.

Are there any new bags on the market now that are better?
Is it just the mounting kit(s) that are shoddy from Viking or Saddleman?

I could fabricate my own but after mocking something up, welding it, powdercoating it'd be cheaper to go with a good mount kit. Is there one though? I don't want quick disconnect.

Thank you.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I went for a long time with a backpack, rather than saddle bags. I have hard luggage now and really like it. It keeps things dry and allows me to have racks over the top. I don't know if it is new, probably isn't, but I like it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
218 Posts
I just put a set of hardbags on mine, and as such have my old studded soft bags with lockable quick release mounts that I'd be willing to part with for short money plus shipping. PM me if interested and we can take it from there.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I added a set of Viking Odins to my Classic tonight, the bags are nice but the customer service is not good and the hardware (cap screws) they shipped were the wrong size. The shortest bolt they send is a M8 - 1.25 X 90 and the Classic needed a M8 - 1.25 X 50. When I reached out for them by chat they said they would ship them or I could go buy them myself and ended the chat.

After I went to a local hardware store and grabbed them cap screws the install took about an hour. I like the look of the bags but probably wouldn't go back to Viking if I needed another set of bags.

·
Registered
8 Posts
For those of you with Leather Lyke's, can somebody give me the measurement of the bag opening? I found the overall bag dimensions, but I can't find the measurement for the actual opening. I need to see if a particular item will fit in it. Thanks mucho! Du-Rron, BamaBiker, Wesley Smith??

·
Registered
72 Posts
For those of you with Leather Lyke's, can somebody give me the measurement of the bag opening? I found the overall bag dimensions, but I can't find the measurement for the actual opening. I need to see if a particular item will fit in it. Thanks mucho! Du-Rron, BamaBiker, Wesley Smith??
About 16" x 7" opening, about 11.5" deep. Can fit a 15-pack of Natty's in easily. :wink2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts