Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I got a (new to me) 08 900lt this summer. The bike has a set of nomad(?) hard bags mounted... I love the bags but they are attached by the normal two fender side bolts with no other points of contact. This creates a lot of leverage force and recently sheared one of the bolts. It's getting extracted now but I'm worried this setup will be prone to problems in future.

I was trying to come up with other ways to tie the bags in to the frame to take some of the force off of the parallel mounting points.. but I also came across this weird cross-support bar on an m50 while walking home one day (pictured). It bolted in at the bottom of the bag brackets and crossed the rear fender... This would help to at least keep the bags squared and lessen some of the lever force on those bolts.. anyone seen this before?

Any other thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
307 Posts
Do the Nomad bags line up directly to the two bolts on the 900?

I have been thinking about mounting Nomad bags to mine, if i could find an affordable set I could repaint.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't do the conversion but it looks like they modified the stock brackets with two welded mounting points.. I can take pictures when I get the bike back if you are interested. The upright metal braces for the bags line up with the bolt holes so it looks like a fairly easy mod with exception to the problem im running into now.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
The original LT oem brackets should do the job ..... they offer a 3 point attachment ... 2 at the top and 1 down the bottom ... this keeps the bags stable to the bracket ... the weight is on the brackets, not the bags ... as far as bolts shearing ... there are specific bolts and spacers for the oem brackets ... the brackets are not cheap ... but they are the best around and offer the most support. I suspect by the bolt shearing, that the bags at some point, have been overloaded weight wise. Do a search on here for hard luggage / bag brackets.

try this link and look for the brackets .... http://s945.photobucket.com/user/whiting57/slideshow/matazu%20bag%20and%20batwing%20installation

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bags themselves rest on the brackets well, it's where the brackets bolt in to the frame through the fender where the bolt sheared. The front of the two bolts beside the pillion seat broke right at the frame.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm dealing with the same problem on my 2014 900 custom. I've yet to figure out anything as there are no good mounting points at the rear of the bike. My bolts are only 8mm and can't sustain very much bouncing weight before they snap. So frustrating!

·
Registered
216 Posts
If it were me, I'd start buy going to the local hardware store and replacing all bolts with grade 8 stainless bolts, they really shouldn't shear.

·
Registered
167 Posts
SS bolts, the normal 18-8 stuff you find in the hardware stores, is closer to a grade 2. Once it shears, it work hardens and can be a pain to remove.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts