1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I'm gonna guess yes. I've got Saddlemen jumbo teardrops, and they come with no mounting holes in them. You have to drill them yourself, so they can be used with just about any mounting brackets. This also allows you to place them how you like (a little higher, lower, etc.).

If these bags are like that ( and I'm guessing they are), you should be GTG.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm gonna guess yes. I've got Saddlemen jumbo teardrops, and they come with no mounting holes in them. You have to drill them yourself, so they can be used with just about any mounting brackets. This also allows you to place them how you like (a little higher, lower, etc.).

If these bags are like that ( and I'm guessing they are), you should be GTG.
I'm rather new to bikes, so how would I actually get the bags on the supports? Do I have to buy more than just the two items that I showed in the links?

·
Registered
976 Posts
It looks like the bags you have are throwovers, like what you would see with horses. The brackets keep them from getting into the wheel. You adjust the lacing in the middle of the bags to fit your fender and put the bags on. Some have an optional method of tying off to the support to keep the bags from flapping. Another way to go is to get individual bags and something like Ghost supports. When you have the bags off it will look like this:

Sorry, you'd think I'd have a side view. What you'll have is two spindles like you can see from the rear of the bike. If you go with supports and bags, when you leave the bags off you will look like the chromed version of this

I rarely ride without bags, afterall, my lunch is in there. But when I go camping or on trips I take the bags off, attach the special little handle that you can buy and carry all my goodies up to the room with me as the bags don't lock. It also makes the bike cover that I got for free just about fit my bike. Silly windshield, I don't know WHY I have that big old air brake on the bike. Well, except that it's covered with bug juice from now until winter. Already hit a swarm of something Saturday. Yuck.

Oh, found a side view of the spindles.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I'm rather new to bikes, so how would I actually get the bags on the supports? Do I have to buy more than just the two items that I showed in the links?
They should come with all the mounting hardware you'll need. The strap that connects the 2 bags should be removeable. You'll have to drill two 1" (I think) holes in each bag to go over those protrusions at the top of the supports. Mine came with two little hook jobbies that hold the bags to the bottom cross bar on the support.

You will be able to use bolts with big washers to hold the bags on those top posts or (and I recommend this, as long as the saddlebags can be locked) use 1/4 turn quick release thingamajigs (sorry to get all technical on you), available as a separate purchase. I think Saddlemen calls them Ghost Brackets.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I bought the Saddlemen Teardrop specific bags for my custom. They come with all the hardware needed to mount them but, I found that the package was short some spacers that are neede. I called and they sent them but in addition I lucked out and my box had a label that said the quick release system was included. It wasn't but I asked and they honored it and sent them. The holes were already punched in the bags. Ghost brackets are sold separately by another company. They are good from what I hear but they are also about $140. Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts