Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Black Vaquero. I bought a set of saddle bag rails from Preacher at a great price. I was thinking about power coating them black to stay with the blacked out look if the bike. Any opinions, leave the chrome or powder coat them black?

Thanks for your opinions.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I don't have them but I think the black would be cool. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I think black chrome would be awesome, but chrome would be nice unless you are going to change out the other chrome parts on the bike.

·
Registered
400 Posts
For those of you who have the top rails for the Vaquero bags, how do you like them. I've had my bike since May and have smacked the bags several times with my boots so would like them for protection. I have two worries though. One, I'd like to see pictures. I'm afraid they might screw up the nice lines of the bike. Two, reading the install instructions, they pretty much say they are just decorative. I'd like to at least be able to latch a cargo net to them for things I have on the passenger seat. Any opinions/ pictures folks want to share??? Thanks.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Don't know what you all decided but I'm having mine powder coated. If there is interest I can post a picture when done around the 22nd.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I don't have em, but would like to see what they look like when done.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I was having this exact same thought when I bought this bike. Wondering why they dont offer them in black. I think the black Vaq doesnt need too much chrome bling. Def wanna see the end product. I'd be a player for a set of these in black. Ya gotta post up pics whenever ya get em done.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'll be sure to post when I get them back. I told them no hurry so most likely around the 22nd. I'm getting them done in gloss black to match the bags. I want them to be invisible! Just protect my bags. If it looks good, thinking about powder coating my OEM backrest and sissy bar. May be go with the matte black to match the forks and engine....maybe balance things out?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have a Black Vaquero. I bought a set of saddle bag rails from Preacher at a great price. I was thinking about power coating them black to stay with the blacked out look if the bike. Any opinions, leave the chrome or powder coat them black?

Thanks for your opinions.
I would paint the same flat black as the air cleaner and tank trim. Just sayin!:cool:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll be sure to post when I get them back. I told them no hurry so most likely around the 22nd. I'm getting them done in gloss black to match the bags. I want them to be invisible! Just protect my bags. If it looks good, thinking about powder coating my OEM backrest and sissy bar. May be go with the matte black to match the forks and engine....maybe balance things out?
I posted the original post. Have mine at home still unsure of powder coating black or leaving chrome. Please send pics after you get them back.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I posted the original post. Have mine at home still unsure of powder coating black or leaving chrome. Please send pics after you get them back.
Nice! Good choice. Defiately powder coat the backrest, that would look sharp. Mybe gloss black floor boards and engine guards.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Nice! Good choice. Defiately powder coat the backrest, that would look sharp. Mybe gloss black floor boards and engine guards.
Didn't even think about the engine guards! First the trim then the sissy bar/backrest...the possibilities!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Two, reading the install instructions, they pretty much say they are just decorative. I'd like to at least be able to latch a cargo net to them for things I have on the passenger seat. Any opinions/ pictures folks want to share???
I would be very careful using bungees on this part, I would be afraid the stress would crack the top of the saddle bag. I know someone that has a Voyager and he cracked the top just over tightening the mounting screws. He was not a happy camper after that.

·
Registered
57 Posts
pic of rails:

I wouldn't strap anything to them. It's just a small washer and screw through the plastic saddle bag holding them on...

·
Registered
400 Posts
That is one good looking bike you have there! It would have been nice if Kawasaki reenforced the top of the bag so this part would actually be useful! Disappointing. Perhaps some kind of fabrication can be done. I'll be installing mine soon.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
pic of rails:

I wouldn't strap anything to them. It's just a small washer and screw through the plastic saddle bag holding them on...
Great looking bike. Who makes the windshield and what size is it? I like the smoked look. I have the OEM 12" now but smokes looks great.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Martini man, did you get the rails back yet? Is so how about some pics. I have mine on the bags and am waiting to see what your's looks like before having them done.

Thanks, Keith

·
Registered
400 Posts
Martini man, did you get the rails back yet? Is so how about some pics. I have mine on the bags and am waiting to see what your's looks like before having them done.

Thanks, Keith
Sorry about that....no pictures to specifically point them out but here are couple forma ride to give you an idea.
With this one they are pretty much invisible which is what I wanted.

Better view of it, and for what it's worth, folks I ride with (all Harley) they all liked them.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry about that....no pictures to specifically point them out but here are couple forma ride to give you an idea.
With this one they are pretty much invisible which is what I wanted.

Better view of it, and for what it's worth, folks I ride with (all Harley) they all liked them.
Thanks for the pics. They look really great. How much did they cost to coat if you do not mind?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts