Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Saddlebag Cracks UPDATED.

Washing my bike last week I noticed what looked like a scratch on my saddle bag, right under where the hinge mounts...
Turns out it was a crack... it appears to be coming down from where the Rivet is on the hinge... like the rivet was pressed in too tight and cracked it.

I looked at the low side bag afterward and same thing... only this cracked about 6" down from the rivet... all the way down toward the bottom of the bag.

Yes, it's all the way through... Reason I never noticed the long crack is that it's on the low side... the kickstand side...

Anyone else have this issue???

Thanks.

Garr.

SO I GO TO MY DEALER... I TOOK BOTH BAGS OFF TO SHOW HIM, HE TOOK PICTURES ETC AND SAID HE'D GET BACK TO ME. Well, I wasn't holding my breath. Actually I was execting the worst... That they wouldn't pay for it.

SO TO MY AMAZEMENT today I get a call from my dealer letting me know that KAWIE is going to pay for the parts.

Kudos to Kawasaki for standing behind their product.

This was a complete surprise to me and one that I appreciate very much.

Could have gone either way... but they did the right thing.

Just wanted to let you all know!

Garr.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Sorry to hear about that...hopefully you are still under warranty. Hope it is not contagious for the Vaquero! I'm getting ready to drill holes in my bags to mount the top trim and am feeling very nervous about it. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Should be covered under warranty. You see the crack on the inside of the bag as well?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sorry to hear about that...hopefully you are still under warranty. Hope it is not contagious for the Vaquero! I'm getting ready to drill holes in my bags to mount the top trim and am feeling very nervous about it. Good luck with it.

Completely different set of bags. Vaquero bags are old school Nomad style side opening bags with a few minor changes. I've got no complaints about mine and they are 12 years old. Voyagers and 1700 Nomads are the newer top opening style. I prefer the older style bags

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RE: Old school bags

I absolutely agree... my 2000 Nomad had bags that opened from the side... much preferred.... seemed to me you could "stuff' them a little better. The new ones... eh, not an improvement to say the least.

:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Saddlebag Crack

FYI, I had the same problem with the saddlebag on the right side of my 2009 Voyager. A crack appeared directly under the rear rivet. I have extended warranty and Kawasaki replaced it. I have no doubt that it will happen again because these bags are made of very thin plastic. I think the latch design is part of the problem because you have to press so hard to close them that it flexes the plastic.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
FYI, I had the same problem with the saddlebag on the right side of my 2009 Voyager. A crack appeared directly under the rear rivet. I have extended warranty and Kawasaki replaced it. I have no doubt that it will happen again because these bags are made of very thin plastic. I think the latch design is part of the problem because you have to press so hard to close them that it flexes the plastic.
The plastic is flexible, but that doesn't mean they are fragile. The old ABS plastics which were rigid couldn't take a hit. They would break or pop a hole.

I would surmise that the issue was with the size hole drilled for the rivet. You might need to check the alignment of your bags if you have to press hard for the bags to latch. I just lay my lids down and apply a little weight to the chrome part of the lid until I hear the click. 37,000 miles and used frequently and loaded to the max many many times.

·
Registered
226 Posts
That 'chrome part of the lid' is itself just a thin piece of plastic. Both of mine broke after using them to push the bags closed. Both replaced under warranty and we now only push down on the lid itself, just ahead or behind the chrome part.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts