Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone put one of these on a Voyager?

Looking for pics if you have done so.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I rode down to the Russell shop last week, about 1200 miles round trip. What a great bunch of folks. Chris started on my seat at 8 AM and was finished by 4:30 PM. I hung out in the office with Kim, watched some videos, and walked around the "big" town of Shasta Lake while they built the seat. Mike gave me a tour of the shop which was quite interesting. Many of the craftspeople have been with Russell's for years. They are truly a talented and professional crew and the customer service is exemplary. I am very glad I rode down instead of just sending them my seat. It was a great experience and the seat is everything I had hoped it would be. I've owned Mustang and Corbin and there is just no comparison, especially if you are on the plus side of 150 lbs. :D

Here is a link to an album with several pictures of the seat. Please ignore the ugly scuff mark on the front seat. I did that with my boot so now I have to rub it out.

http://s1257.photobucket.com/user/Merc98513/slideshow/Voyager1700/Russell%20Day%20Long%20Seat

·
Registered
851 Posts
When I had my 900 the Russell daylong seat was a big discussion on the 900 forums! Since I've been on the 1700 forums this is the first anyone has brought it up. I ride a Vaquero so IMO the Russell daylong doesn't fit the Vaquero image, but it look awesome on your Voyager RainDragon. I shouldn't ask but I'm gonna anyways, how much did it set you back? Comfort like that doesn't come cheap!

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
I did my research, posted on a number of motorcycle forums about custom seats, checked the makers. I am convinced Russell is the best out there. I am going to get one for my Ninja and my V2K (passenger seat too). I bought spare seats to use while they build on my original pans. I am using a Corbin on my ZX9R, so I can just send them my OEM seat.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
I received my day long (2012 VV) about a month ago. Feels fine on the commute by have not had it on a long trip yet...I do have a 3k coming up soon.

BTW: I got the Russell because on a trip last year the stock seat became a tailbone buster.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
636 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sorry if the link did not work. Here are a couple of the shots from the album and another link that should work: http://s1257.photobucket.com/user/Merc98513/library/Voyager1700/Russell%20Day%20Long%20Seat

I got the seat in vinyl because that is the most weather resistant (my handle is RainDragon for a reason) but it is also the least expensive. Russell's will make it in any combination of materials, colors, stitching, and custom embroidery that you'd like. All will add to the cost. Mine was a little over $1100 out the door, but I also got the rain covers and heavy-duty suspension that are extra cost options. Compare that to a Corbin or Ultimate and you'll see that the Russell is a real bargain.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies and the pics. I think I figured out what I want to order. Now just have to schedule it. I'll be without the rear seat for about two weeks as I want the drivers backrest. I'm using gel drivers seat now, just have to remember where I put the stock seat.

Anyone have a stock rear seat I can borrow for a couple weeks so the wife isn't sidelined in the middle of the season?

·
Registered
636 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well, not having an ache in the butt is the whole idea of an aftermarket seat. I've had Mustang and Corbin and still had to use an Air Hawk cushion for multi-day rides. Air Hawk is no longer required with the Russell. So if you just want something more comfortable and economical for a weekend trip, go with a $600 Mustang. If you already have a Mustang or Corbin and want more comfort, I highly recommend the Air Hawk R. For more serious touring you can get a comfortable butt by spending $900 on a Mustang/Air Hawk combo, or $1200 for a Corbin/ Air Hawk combo but still not have an ergonomically correct riding position (think pain in shoulders, neck, hips, lower back), or you can spend $1100 on a Russell and have total comfort and ergonomics and no limit to the days you can spend in the saddle. For me it was a no-brainer.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Well, not having an ache in the butt is the whole idea of an aftermarket seat. I've had Mustang and Corbin and still had to use an Air Hawk cushion for multi-day rides. Air Hawk is no longer required with the Russell. So if you just want something more comfortable and economical for a weekend trip, go with a $600 Mustang. If you already have a Mustang or Corbin and want more comfort, I highly recommend the Air Hawk R. For more serious touring you can get a comfortable butt by spending $900 on a Mustang/Air Hawk combo, or $1200 for a Corbin/ Air Hawk combo but still not have an ergonomically correct riding position (think pain in shoulders, neck, hips, lower back), or you can spend $1100 on a Russell and have total comfort and ergonomics and no limit to the days you can spend in the saddle. For me it was a no-brainer.
Well said!! I think If you compare apples to apples Russell wins every time! Some don't like the look. Looks like pure comfort to me!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Or you can wait until the Fall when they slow down and start a group buy effort with them. I did so last October and got 125 people a 20% discount on their RDL build. That would bring the price point down to around $880 for a full set-up like RainDragon's. Very reasonable considering the quality product you are receiving. I too used the Corbin/Airhawk R combo. No comparison and I spent more for that set-up than I did my discounted RDL set-up. I just put over 3000 miles in on my RDL a couple of weeks ago. The seat was awesome!

I appreciate you posting the pics of your build RainDragon. I was trying to decide whether to purchase a Custom World driver's backrest or send my seat back to RDL to have them build in their backrest. Your photos have pretty much convinced me to send it to RDL and have it done. One question... does your backrest have any adjustability forward and backwards or up and down or is it stationary where RDL positions it?

Here's a few pics of my seat...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thanks for the replies and the pics. I think I figured out what I want to order. Now just have to schedule it. I'll be without the rear seat for about two weeks as I want the drivers backrest. I'm using gel drivers seat now, just have to remember where I put the stock seat.

Anyone have a stock rear seat I can borrow for a couple weeks so the wife isn't sidelined in the middle of the season?
I thought I was going to get out of sending my driver's seat if I had the driver's backrest built into the pillion. When I called RDL, they told me that I will need to send in both seats. They re-work the driver's seat slightly to form a small slot to keep the backrest from rubbing against the driver's seat when you fold it forward. You can see what I'm talking about in some of the pictures Rain Dragon posted on PhotoBucket.

Looks like if I send it back now, I'll be in my spare stock seat(s) until the RDL gets back. Damn!

They are booked out to the third week of July right now.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I just noticed in one of your pictures the backrest was removed. I didn't realize it was removable. Is it easy to remove? If so, that relieves one of my concerns about the backrest limiting the amount of space my wife will have after getting it installed. I can just take it off if need be when she rides. :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just noticed in one of your pictures the backrest was removed. I didn't realize it was removable. Is it easy to remove. If so, that removes one of my concerns about the backrest limiting the amount of space my wife will have after getting it installed. I can just take it off if need be when she rides. :D
I saw the group buy last year but was too late to get in on it. I was just starting to look at seats. As it turns out, I'm glad I rode down to visit with the great folks at Russell and see how the seats are made. Once you see it you'll understand why they are so good compared to other seat makers.

That's right, it just slides out. I remove it when my wife rides with me. I much prefer having nothing between us to hamper "communication" when we ride together ;)

It is widely adjustable up and down and has some adjustment forward and back.

In the pic you can see the knob that adjusts the up and down position. Below the knob you can see the polished aluminum wedge with a hole in the middle. There is another knob on the other side of the hole that allows you to position the wedge up or down. The wedge will position the rest forward or back a small amount, but that small change translates into a big difference in riding position. I prefer it at the maximum back position. The pad also pivots forward and back so you can adjust everything exactly where you want it.

And here's a pic of the small "dent" in the drivers seat to accommodate the backrest.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Nice looking seats. Just curious, were you able to get the scuff mark out of the seat? :X
Haven't tried yet. I'm just now researching options.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I much prefer having nothing between us to hamper "communication" when we ride together ;)
All good information and thank you. By the way... you better be careful with all that "communication". My granddad used to say that shit would make you go blind!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Money

I have a Mustang and have done 800 miles plus in a day. I am not going to say my but does not burn lol. It bothers my wife more than me. I was thinking of getting a RDL seat to make the wife happy. Is it worth the money ? Does your but burn on 800 mile days or have you done 800 mile days?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts