Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to open up the check book for a Russell Day Long. This will be my first-ever aftermarket seat. Had the Mustang and returned - didn't like the seating position or the limits on the luggage rack. Any "last" advice appreciated before committing the $$$. Thanks.

·
Registered
364 Posts
About to open up the check book for a Russell Day Long. This will be my first-ever aftermarket seat. Had the Mustang and returned - didn't like the seating position or the limits on the luggage rack. Any "last" advice appreciated before committing the $$$. Thanks.
You cannot beat the comfort...I had a Russell sport version on my CBF1000 and it was like an angel's hands cupping your buttocks ;)

That said, the "wings" can create a clearance problem when you put your feet down, especially if you have short legs. You may have to skoot forward on the seat to clear the wings. I would recommend you find someone with one on a 1700 to test for yourself before making the commitment.

You can also request that they minimize the wing size if you feel they may present a problem.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Only other thing would be to consider if you want a passenger backrest. They don't have provisions for it. Kind of a deal breaker for me. I'm not paying $400-500 for the Kawi backrest and I want one that detaches quickly or with the seat.

·
Registered
243 Posts
How does the russell compare in passenger comfort compared to stock and the mustang? Does the russell work with the Kaw backrest? Not trying to thread jack! Seems like good things to know :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Apparently this seat is really the end all - be all of seat comfort. And if you are willing to spend the coin on the Kawi backrest then you're in. I have a Corbin and it came with a backrest that attaches to the seat, not the bike. Which I prefer because I don't always want that backrest on the bike. But it is def not as comfy as the Daylong. The Daylong is made from your stock seat and so that's why there's no provision for a backrest.
Oh and stock? I literally cant ride over 20 mins with that POS. Must be why these bikes are such a deal. They had to cut a few corners and this was a big one. Really disappointing.

·
Registered
92 Posts

If you watch this video might help on your choice of a Russel Daylong. I love it and the quality is next to none. The rest are off the shelf stock seats like mustang nothing special about them. If you choose leather like I say in video get the sides done in vinyl or in time the leather will crack. I have leather and vinyl combined. I also like I say in video advise you to get the drivers backrest as again high quality and can be positioned for your riding enjoyment better than all others. I got the pouch on the back of it and find it will be really handy for the coffee cup and gloves and what ever else. It is nothing you can install later as they have to also put on the snaps at time of build.

Hope this helps you out and any questions message me. I love it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
yay

We had Russell Day Long seats on a V-strom 1000, a V-strom 650, and two 600 cc mega-scooters. If you like to ride a long time without a break, you can do it on this seat. The seat is made for your body--you can even get them to place your seating position a little further back or up toward the front if you need to change your leg/arm reach. The seats have springs in them and are built for comfort. One seat cover got damaged (our fault), and I sent it back to have it recovered. That was cheaper than having the entire seat redone. We only had the front of the seats done as neither of us carries a passenger; it is cheaper that way. The passenger seat is not rebuilt, but is covered the same as the front seat. We had vinyl, and the patterns have improved since I got the first seat covered. I haven't gotten one on my 500 LTD since we don't ride as much as we used to--I use a gel seat. We also live in Texas now, not nearby in Nevada. Shipping can be expensive.

You have to take off the seat pan and send it in. If you want it for riding season, you need to get an "appointment" soon so you can send it in and get it back in time for riding. If you live near Shasta Lake, CA, you can schedule a ride-in appointment. We checked out a lot of rebuilt seat companies, and sat on some strangers' bikes before choosing Russell Day Long. If you have a bike you plan to keep and ride a lot, it will be worth it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
by the way

We drove by their facility one time--they work on boat seats, too, and there is a lake nearby. So, if you really want a new seat, give them a call ASAP!

·
Registered
243 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aehfJxUlwPI

If you watch this video might help on your choice of a Russel Daylong. I love it and the quality is next to none. The rest are off the shelf stock seats like mustang nothing special about them. If you choose leather like I say in video get the sides done in vinyl or in time the leather will crack. I have leather and vinyl combined. I also like I say in video advise you to get the drivers backrest as again high quality and can be positioned for your riding enjoyment better than all others. I got the pouch on the back of it and find it will be really handy for the coffee cup and gloves and what ever else. It is nothing you can install later as they have to also put on the snaps at time of build.

Hope this helps you out and any questions message me. I love it.
Damn Buckey, nice setup!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yea think I have done it right for sure at least trying the best I can. Love the bike and I keep them along time so why not invest the money worth it to have pride and a comfortable ride for sure. By the way thanks appreciate it.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Yea think I have done it right for sure at least trying the best I can. Love the bike and I keep them along time so why not invest the money worth it to have pride and a comfortable ride for sure. By the way thanks appreciate it.
I've watched (and enjoyed) that video before buckey, so thanks.

One question I have for you... Does the rider's backrest come off for the "round-town" riding, or is it on there permanently?

I've already had a Mustang (with rider's backrest) for my Voyager shipped all the way down here at huge expense - only to find it's nowhere near the seat the Mustang I had on my Nomad was. And the pillion seat is next to useless (or so my pillion tells me). So it looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and ship two ways for the RDL.

It's only money... right? And in my experience a happy pillion = permission to spend more on the bike in the first place.

Edit: Don't worry... I went back and reviewed your video, and I think you answered the question.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The riders backrest comes off so easy it is unbelievable once you get the hang of taking it off and know the ins and outs of taking it off. It is not a mish mash of seat parts. Russel Daylong have really thought the process out for every angle and things anyone would question them about. Like I said it is not off the shelf product cheep and inferior they have done their home work and done it very well. I love every aspect about the seat. If you order the seat make sure you get that back pouch it is so handy and the snaps have to be installed at time of making of seat. I sure you will find it more useful than any windshield bag or your large bags on bike for those often used item that you want every time you stop.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the input...

Wanted to thank everyone for their input. Decided to give the Russell a try - ordering this week. Especially enjoyed the video buckey1313. For your next Vulcan production, suggest you get a couple of Ducati track girls to "highlight the new features" on your bike! Am sure all the guys on the board will appreciate.

Update on the saddle in the spring.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The track girls hummm. Might do better for you this summer wait and see. Where I hang out at night on bike with about 100 nice guys there is well lets say some wonderful things walking by and they love getting their pictures taken over a nice bike.

Will do stay posted have to be a warm day in summer or spring here to do it but it will be done I promise and will post them for your enjoyment.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I don't get on here very often anymore, since I sold the Vulcan and got the VStrom, but I still have a soft spot for Vulcans. I think you'll love your Russell Daylong. They greatly increase your riding comfort and are worth the investment. Russell makes a seat according to a rider's specific requirement, so it fits YOU, not just some. Most aftermarket seats, no matter how good they are, are off the shelf, generic types, "one size fits all," or one size fits most," or "one size fits some." Russell will tell you it takes about 500 miles for the seat to break in, however expect it to take longer than that, but not a lot. I was lucky, the seats for my 900LT and the VStrom were just right, right out of the box. The ones for my Gold Wing and ST1300 had to be adjusted before they were right

If you need a rider's backrest, theirs is a good one and worth spending the money on. It's easily removable and adjustable. The seat does fit just fine with the OEM passenger backrest, too.

I've has several Russells, and wouldn't have any other if I could afford it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had Russell re-conform my Corbin gunslinger on my 1500 Vulcan 88 so I would have a single rider seat that fit right and had them add a driver back rest. It totally blows the Corbin away as far as comfort. Its a little different when you stop and put your feet down at red lights, I need to slide forward first and put legs down. Russell's are not made to set still at lights, they designed to go down the road for long rides. My pinion on this is they do it the best I've ever planted my butt on. I also had a Saddleman on the same bike for maybe 10 minutes before I put the stock seat back on.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I had Russel make me an all leather one. didn't do the DayLong treatment to the wifes seat...just recovered it in leather to match.
I also did the removable drivers backrest.
Love the seat. As others have said, you have to get used to scooting forward a little to put your feet down at stops. The seat is so comfortable ergonomically, that I almost think I wasted the money buying the backrest.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Thanks Bucky... and everyone else here and on other forums with unanimous endorsement for the RDL.

I've just shipped off my own OEM seat (US$110 one way - ouch) for a Russell makeover, build date late March. Thought about waiting for a group buy (which didn't seem to happen this winter) or a sale... but just went ahead and did it anyway (is it true what they say about a fool and his money?).

Mustang really did drop the ball with their Voyager seat - not a patch on their Nomad and before that the 800B seats I had. The seating position was all wrong for the rider, too far back, and getting into the space my pillion requires (and she's by no means large). Backrest at a bad angle (badly intruding on the pillion space), and the pillion seat is flat / sloping forward so that she's constantly having to push herself backwards whenever I brake or hit a bump.

Pretty much useless really as a long distance seat. I think I'll give them some feedback on that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts