Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am in a bit of a quandry in regards to the seat on my 2006 V2K Classic. I am actually quite comfortable in the drivers seat but my wife gets VERY squirmy and uncomfortable on the passenger seat in less than an hour. Now I must qualify this and say we used to have a Goldwing so she was used to more comfort. She is also very short (5' 1") and has back issues. I have been contemplating the Russel Daylong saddles which look extremely comfortable but I have to admit I then look at the Mean City Cycles website and it looks like they do something very similar for much less money. BUT in my experience in this life you generally have to pay more to get more. I have seen lots of good comments on daylong, ultimate & mustang seats on the forum but nothing on mean city cycle seats. Anyone out there have mean city cycle seat on their V2K, and if so are you happy with it?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Cant first hand comment on the v2k or the russel daylong, but all the concours owners swear by Russel saddles. I beleive he makes the butt a whole lot wider, almost with wings on them to help. In a seat I'd rather pay an extra $100 when you've already spent $500 to make sure its perfect for you though.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
ok so I HAVE had both Mean City Cycles seat mod and Mustang AND Russell.... in that order. Nobody else touches the Russell for comfort. I dont know "ulitmate' but a couple years ago, as Bosgarages said, Russell was / is the only one who widens the seat platform with wings... which reduces weight per square inch wonderfully. I consider the earlier money I paid wasted and from now on I will always have a Russell Daylong on my rides.....
( and, "no, they dont give me a commission"....lol )
Annie

Cant first hand comment on the v2k or the russel daylong, but all the concours owners swear by Russel saddles. I beleive he makes the butt a whole lot wider, almost with wings on them to help. In a seat I'd rather pay an extra $100 when you've already spent $500 to make sure its perfect for you though.

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
On recommendation of a rather large friend of mine I purchased an Ultimate drivers seat and backrest and passengers seat. My stock seat was a killer to my back and butt. My Ultimate, however, is a blessing to the old rear cheeks and backbone. 500 miles in one day is not only possible it is comfortable.

Not too many people have had the opportunity to compare very many seats on the same bike so I would suggest looking at some friends bikes and sit on their seats or even ride their bikes, if they will let you, and judge for yourself.
Not every seat is good for every butt out there. My Ultimate, though it feels great to me, may be completely uncomfortable to someone smaller than I.
BTW, I am 6'4" tall and weigh 285 lbs.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thanks for the responses. Tallannie what you say makes sense, I was thinking Mean City Cycles but then if that's not good enough I have to go to Russel anyways and spend the extra dough. Think that's the direction I will go and make the bike a little more comfortable for me, and hopefully WAY more comfortable for my better half.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Your better half will love it... :)

Annie

Hey thanks for the responses. Tallannie what you say makes sense, I was thinking Mean City Cycles but then if that's not good enough I have to go to Russel anyways and spend the extra dough. Think that's the direction I will go and make the bike a little more comfortable for me, and hopefully WAY more comfortable for my better half.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts