Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last couple of months I have noticed that my 2004 Vulcan 2000 seems to run better in cooler weather than it does on hot days. I have also noticed that it blows bluish smoke when I get on it. I was wondering if this could be an O2 sensor? Any suggestions?

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,905 Posts
1) how many miles?

2) Do you know when the last time the radiator was flushed? Might be time to do that.

3). Errr.. Blue smoke is always an indicator of burning oil.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Yep, in a basic nut shell, any engine loves cooler air.

Cooler air=denser air = a better firing motor = a bigger smile on ya dial.

Blue smoke from an engine = burning oil.
Black smoke = rich mixture (can be caused by a number of contributors i.e. blocked air filter, air fuel ratio wrong, O2 sensor etc etc.
White smoke = typically burning off moisture (H20 variety) when cold (engin/pipes/environment) worst case scenario, a blown head gasket, leaking coolant to firing chamber

re the blue smoke.
How much are we talking about JC? and when does it occur? BTW if engine oil is old or thrashed it can finds way to combustion chamber causing blue smoke.

Give us everything you know about when this happens, miles bike has done, last oil change etc etc

Ando

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It has about 29000 miles and no I do not know the last time the radiator was flushed. What would be a cause of burning oil?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RuaphuNZ:

When I start it I get white smoke and you can smell the gas in it, it actually burns the eyes. The black smoke is when I get on it while going down the road. After talking to another friend of mine I believe I am mistaken on the blue smoke. The bike has 29,000 miles give or take and is just now due for an oil change in my opinion. What is the recommend mileage interval for oil changes anyway?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Cool, So it's black smoke we're dealing with, so essentially a fueling issue.

Does the bike have standard or after market pipes?
What air filter set up standard or after market?
Does it have any performance electronics such as a after market cobra fuel management system fitted or look to be stock?
What state is the air filter in??

·
Registered
361 Posts
What MPG is the bike returning??

Having a gander at my bike, I can't find an O2 sensor on my bike, so no help there from me, may an emissions requirement in USA perhaps??.

In saying that, a few years back our ford starting getting bad MPG and running really rich (similar to what your bike is doing) I could not cure it after lots of elimination of possible issues. I had to take it into the dealers to plug into their PC for fault codes. Revealed the O2 sensor had packed up, they removed it, done a simple ohms test (i think??) and it was well outside spec. It was replaced, and wha-la the MPG improved dramatically, no more coked up exhaust and started better.

So you may be on the money if your machine is equipped with and O2 sensor. Do you have the full works manual? Iit may cover this aspect. Failing that, the crew here should be able to advise on how to laacte and test the O2 sensor.
Ando

·
Registered
361 Posts
Here ya go JC. I've had a quick gander at the manual, there is bikes fitted with the O2 sensor.

Testing as per from the manual:
* Disconnect the sensor.
* Has four leads three colours.
* The two black coloured cables are the where the Ohms test is to be done.
* Set meter to 1Ohm range across the two black wires from the sensor.
* Readings should be; At 68deg-F should read between 14.1 to 19.3 OHMs.
* If outside these parameters, the book recommend replacement.

The sensor plug is under the seat. The sensor is located on the balance pipe oin the exhaust system (nup, mine definitely don't have one)

Hope that helps, Ando

·
Registered
370 Posts
Having a gander at my bike, I can't find an O2 sensor on my bike, so no help there from me, may an emissions requirement in USA perhaps??.
Hey Bro, yeah we don't have O2 sensors here in the lucky countries. We have the Euro gears already fitted too. Poor merrycans cop all the crap.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hey Bro, yeah we don't have O2 sensors here in the lucky countries. We have the Euro gears already fitted too. Poor merrycans cop all the crap.

Sooooooo, we got the bikes outta the box how they shoulda been eh, ye-ha, score, ;)

Didn't realize we got the euro gears, thats a bonus. By heck that first gear must be a crawler gear with the American gearing, sod that.

Sent from the bottom of the Earth via a Tapatalk clone........……Motorcycle.com.

·
Registered
578 Posts
O2 sensor is only on the California bikes, over here in the states.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Over the last couple of months I have noticed that my 2004 Vulcan 2000 seems to run better in cooler weather than it does on hot days. I have also noticed that it blows bluish smoke when I get on it. I was wondering if this could be an O2 sensor? Any suggestions?
seems that they made a movie about this? "Cool Runnings" or something like that?
our v2k dont have O2 sensors. Iv never seen any on these beast, have taken them down to their bones often.
all bikes run better in cool weather,(some of it is you feel better) butt I 'spect yors was runnin poorly b4 climate change kicked in? is why you are notice a diff.?
blowin blue, smoke? Earl is finding its way into the combustion mix.
You say it happens when you Stomp on it? butt doesnt under normal opps.?
that could happen if you have a bad seal, valve seals, etc. Higher oil pressure at higher RPMs are showing up.? either way it needs to be tracked down and remedied.

Coolant change is simple. pull the tank. open rad cap. there is a drain plug under the motor near rite side frame rail. Drain. Flush. Plug. Fill. Cap. Tank. done.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Sooooooo, we got the bikes outta the box how they shoulda been eh, ye-ha, score, ;)

Didn't realize we got the euro gears, thats a bonus. By heck that first gear must be a crawler gear with the American gearing, sod that.

Sent from the bottom of the Earth via a Tapatalk clone........……Motorcycle.com.
I wrote this a while back in another thread on Euro gears and never got an answer, was just wondering if anyone can confirm this,

Thought I would check on Australian/NZ specs to see what gears it has, and it seems the Aussie models already have the euro gears.

From the specs

Final Drive Ratio
2.454 (48/44 x 72/32 )

You all probably already know this but I have not read it anywhere.
Can anyone confirm the Aussie/NZ models already have the euro gears?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts