Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay another one for you people, hopefully your answer this one :).

I washed the bike yesterday getting it ready for me to commence work on it, yes I used a jet wash, but the one I have is weak and I mean cheap weak it cant even blow the cobwebs out the bike I had to remove them by hand.

Anyway after I finished washing and drying the bike I decided to start it up as I usually do and the bike was struggling to idle or run and was even back firing out of one of the exhausts. Today I go and start the bike and its running okay.

I roll it out the garage forgetting I have no front brake and nearly hit my VROD, put it in first then roll forwards no problems.

Anyone have an similar problems, give me something to investigate.

·
Registered
98 Posts
You probably just blew water into the spark plug boots. As for the brakes, did you happen to spray anything on your wheels? That would make the rotor too slick for the shoes to grab for awhile.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,854 Posts
When I wash mine I don't use high pressure. Just keep the hose on low. Don't just flood the bike with water. Then I use my leaf blower(150 mph wind) to get as much water off the bike and engine as possible. Then towel dry the rest. Never any problems.

Then comes the good part.... making all the chrome shiny.:grin2:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You probably just blew water into the spark plug boots. As for the brakes, did you happen to spray anything on your wheels? That would make the rotor too slick for the shoes to grab for awhile.
I think you may be right.

The front brake is non existent, the bike sat in someone garage for years as it wouldn't run or turn over, I fixed those issues and the brake fluid turned into what I can only describe as dark piss water, there is nothing on the brake at all I am pretty sure the pistons have seized as well, but thats another job for another time.

·
BOTSpring Winner 2017
77 Posts
Water can short lots of other electrical items out too like the coils, coil wires, etc and can get into the carb also. Don’t do that!

·
Registered
331 Posts
I think you may be right.

The front brake is non existent, the bike sat in someone garage for years as it wouldn't run or turn over, I fixed those issues and the brake fluid turned into what I can only describe as dark piss water, there is nothing on the brake at all I am pretty sure the pistons have seized as well, but thats another job for another time.
Same here. My 1996 800 Classic I just purchased had its front brakes seized too. I was able to overhaul calipers w/kit, new pads, and overhauled master cylinder w/kit. Just ordered a new brake hose. I went with stainless steel aftermarket because OEM is on back order from Kawa from everyone it seemed. After overhaul of brakes it now stops on a dime, but my brake lever was going down to within 3/4" from the throttle. Waiting on hose, so be sure and change out your hose if its old. Let us know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts