Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about my 07 Canadian Vulcan 900. I'm running Vance and Hines slash cut staggered with Hard Kore baffles, the Vance and Hines baffles are still in the pipes as well. The bike runs smooth and pulls nice.

I'm thinking of a K&N filter, but not adding a fuel processor.

Is there a hard and fast opinion on this?

I know if I mess with the intake too much, ie. changing it out, I'm going to have to use a processor to be safe, so that's why I'm leaning toward using the K&N and leaving it at that.

The bike has got 7000km on it, and I haven't pulled the plugs to see what they look like, BUT, what I do notice at idle and on the highway (when I can catch a sniff) is that the exhaust smells of fuel. A nice, rich, "fat" smell. This makes me think that the bike is already running a bit on the rich side and it'll be safe to add the K&N and leave it at that.

Does the nose know, or should I go through the hassle of pulling the plugs?

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Pull the plugs and take a look. Running rich may indicate a problem somewhere as that condition is not normal. Make no modifications until the issue is tended to.

Post back with your findings.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
arg. yup, before riding season hits. -6 here and the garage is unheated, so the findings will take a bit.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, had the plugs pulled yesterday when in for service. They are nice and brown, the tech is of the opinion that the bike is running a wee tad rich, exactly "where you want it", according to him.

This is with V&H pipes and a K and N filter.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Well, had the plugs pulled yesterday when in for service. They are nice and brown, the tech is of the opinion that the bike is running a wee tad rich, exactly "where you want it", according to him.

This is with V&H pipes and a K and N filter.
as much as many disagree with adding a fuel management when u install exhaust system only if you search around most manufatures including V&H, Cobra & HK do recommend the use of a fuel management. you would think well v&h and cobra sell fuel managements to make more money but other companies like hk don't sell/make them and still recommend them.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think that the pipe mfgs suggest a fuel management system to cover their butts, based on the assumption that ALL bikes run on the lean side from the factory to pass EPA testing. They probably don't want to deal with, "I installed YOUR pipes and screwed up MY bike..."

There is the odd opinion out there that the vulcan 900 runs a bit on the rich side for whatever reason. What got me thinking is that Kawi uses a reed valve air injection system to clean up unburned gas. I think that's why everyone gets popping on decel when they debaffle or go aftermarket. The popping is unburned fuel igniting in the pipes and the stock exhaust system covers up the sound. A lean bike shouldn't pop, based on this thinking and someone please step in and correct me if I'm wrong.

I got rid of the popping by marbling.

So, anyway, when the mechanic pulled the plugs he said, "wow, that's really nice, and where you want it. Almost a bit rich. I see a lot of plugs that show mild lean and a lot of white residue plugs. Yours look really good."

So I have an fi2000r sitting in its box and I'm having a really hard time justifying installing it. Fun times.

·
Registered
782 Posts
If you are running the stock air box, even if you have a K&N filter and aftermarket pipes, you are going to have a hard time getting the bike to run lean. The path the air has to take to get into the air box has appropriately been called a twisted straw. The intake port on the air box is on the down wind side which means that it is in a slight vaccuum. Also, the port is literally sitting on top of the fins of the rear jug. So the air which is already in a vaccuum pocket, has to sneak between the heated fins of the rear jug just to get to the inlet port on the air box. Then the air has to make three 90 degree turns inside the air box just to get to the intake ports. So, even with the lower restriction of the K&N filter and the higher flow capacity of the exhaust, the real pinch point is the crack addict design of the air box.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
You tune YOUR bike for the conditions that it is operating under. There are just too many variables to make a blanket statement that "if you do this, then you must do this".

The best test is on a dyno with an exhaust gas analyzer, but plug readings do a good job if done correctly.
If your plugs look good, you have no driveability issues, then ride away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts