Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the local parts place to get new plugs. I have just shy of 7500 miles and thought it was about time. I removed one to make sure of the art number and the sales guy starts looking REALLY hard at the plug. Tells me, "See the pink, it is running really lean." I know what normal plugs look like and the insulator was on the pink side. Since I am still within warranty, should I take my bike in and have them deal with the fuel processor?

I'm used to carbs and re-jetting...much easier.

Toymaker

·
Registered
295 Posts
I went to the local parts place to get new plugs. I have just shy of 7500 miles and thought it was about time. I removed one to make sure of the art number and the sales guy starts looking REALLY hard at the plug. Tells me, "See the pink, it is running really lean." I know what normal plugs look like and the insulator was on the pink side. Since I am still within warranty, should I take my bike in and have them deal with the fuel processor?

I'm used to carbs and re-jetting...much easier.

Toymaker
I wouldn't do anything based on the word of a auto parts store guy. Who says that he knows what he's talkin' about? Did you look at it yourself?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep, sure did. It had a ver y slight pink color.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I think they come lean from the factory. Meeting MPG goals etc.
They are on the lean side from the factory just as is every car that rolls on the line. However is it too lean? no I doubt it. The "pink" comes from fuel additives in the gasoline you use. The "ideal" air fuel mixture AKA stoichiometric A/F of 14.7:1 is running on the ragged edge of "too lean" in the aspect of true performance. It is however the ideal A/F mixture for ideal low emissions which is why they run the vehicles leaner NOT for MPG. I would guess that since the VN900's do not have O2 sensors (unless it is hidden some place I haven't seen) they run the A/F a touch leaner.

Screw the plugs in and if you are not having running issues enjoy the ride. Play with your A/F mix down the road when you upgrade your pipes and air intake. Don't do it now and ruin your converters.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what I thought. It runs just great and I hate to complain.

·
Registered
533 Posts
This may be of some help. From the man who writes the "Tech Talk" column in Motorcycle Cruiser magazine:

"Symptoms of a lean mixture include - hesitation or poor throttle response during acceleration, surging during light throttle cruising, misfire at high speeds, poor or ragged idle, and hard starting, slow warm ups and overheating. In a worst case you may also encounter detonation (pinging) during cruise or under load, although that can also be caused by things like poor gas, and overly advanced ignition timing.

When a bike is lean it runs better as it gets hot (both engine and ambient temperature), when a bike is rich it gets worse as it warms up. "

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well my biker runs just fine. No ping, no miss...nothin' so as the old saying goes...if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

·
Registered
441 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts