Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do most of my riding on back roads out in the Country. I encounter large farm dogs running out to meet & chase me............for them, I do the "slow down or stop" thing, humor them along until I can get past them or away from them. I know if I hit one of them we will both get seriously hurt. I almost always see them coming in plenty of time to get slowed down. I also see lots of squirrels. Occasionally, a small lap dog (dachshund, Pomeranian, etc) or cat will come flying out of nowhere and I will barely miss him. I'm curious to know how many people here have "hit" small animals and what the outcome was. Thanks...................Old

·
Registered
93 Posts
The other week a friend and me were riding in the country and a deer jumped right out across the rod in front of mu friend and he said the fur tickled his nose it was so close. We were moving about 55 MPH and if he had hit that deer it was bye bye Harley Softail for him. He was in front about three car lengths ahead of me and as soon as I seen the deer I slowed down just in case another was coming behind the first one.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I,ve hit a dog,squirrel and a cat maybe.The dog,I went over the bars and landed on my bare hands and knees,Scraped up a bit,bent the bars and broke off the pegs.The squirrel was just thump and gone,the maybe cat was a little bump and done.I know about the close calls with the deer and had a fur call with a bear.

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
Reminds me of a question on the written test I took in the MSF riding course. (Question)What do you do if a dog comes running at you when riding? (Answer)Do not kick the dog! (LOL) I added a sub-note under that (Pull firearm and prepare to shoot dog!)

Some things cannot be avoided, most can. I have had a lot of close calls but never hit anything yet while on the bike. (Knock on wood) I have the Pimco Air Horn that sounds like a freight train coming your way. That alone has chased many animals out of the middle of the road in front of me.

·
Registered
297 Posts
When we had the 900lt wife and I were riding and a mallard duck flew up from a small water hole in the ditch and across the road. We hit it with the left fork tube and lower at about 45mph. Needless to say it didn't make it, we never wobbled but it's supprising how much crap and feathers we had to wash off the bike.
We've also had a dear come out of nowhere cross in front of us on county road. I saw some
thing out of the corner of my eye, wife yelled deer. I hit the brakes HARD. As we slowed down it was trying to get traction on the black top hooves slipping and sliding, front of bike in a hard brake dive. We missed it, or it missed us I'm not sure as it leaped over the front fender. We never came to a stop just down from 55 to about 10mph and back up again about that quick. No crap to clean up when we got home this time (pucker factor) :0. Wife just kept saying "dam that was close"

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Oh the list of things I have hit or almost hit. First the things I have hit, Ground Hog, PLENTY of small squirrel, Opossum, and 2 birds. Ground hog I saw it coming and knew there was no avoiding it so I stood the bike up straight and tump tump, it was over. Squirrel are nothing, can't hardly tell you hit anything. One of them I actually caught with my foot peg in the middle of a curve on my Mean Streak. The opossum came out of nowhere at night and hit my front wheel (the night I purchased my HD and brought it home, had less that 25 mi on it). It caused me to wable a little but no where close to wrecking. If I was prepared it would have been like the ground hog. The 2 birds had to hurt the worst though. Each time I took them off of my left shin, Direct hits. Felt like I got nailed with a fast ball from Randy Johnson. They left some nice bruises and knotts.

Had several close call with deer, but none of them really sticks out enough to tell a story about. I about took out a turkey doing 65 down the 4 lane though. Flew up the bank as I was flying by. I swear I could have grabbed it out of the sky. I could feel the wind shift it was so close.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
I took a dove off the head / helmet at 50mph, that rang my bell for a while and hit a possum at around 35mph that took my butt out of the seat, rode thru a locust swarm ... that was messy..... stuff happens.

·
BOTM Winner, December 2016
331 Posts
After so many years in the saddle I have had several close calls too.

One thing that I have learned after having this sorta battle with one particular dog in my neighborhood who loved to chase me.

He would lay in wait alongside the road.
One day I decided I had enough and steered right at him and sounded my horn while screaming as loud as I could.
Scared the crap out of him !!!

A few more times and the "game" became no fun for him any longer.

I have used the "steer towards them" strategy on numerous other dogs since and it kinda startles them.
Gives you an upper hand and allows you to skirt by without having to tolerate the "game."

Luckymann77

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,856 Posts
Had a bird fly between me and the windshield. I also kicked the neighbors dog that came at me. Sent it 20 feet, foot hurt like hell but he hasn't come at me again.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have been lucky so far when it comes to animals. I have had a couple close calls, but nothing I would think twice about. The only animal I have hit was a dove flying into my left shin at 50-55. Left a bruise for a few days, but no other problems. I have been riding for 8 years now and have yet to have a dog run at me, but I do keep an eye on them when I see them.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
I had a bird commit suicide. It flew between the windshield and triple tree, feathers and "stuff" went everywhere. I was headed to work and it took a couple of minutes to clean the "stuff" off my uniform shirt...
When I was a kid riding a bicycle a bunch of dogs chased me and one bit me on the foot. A few months later my dad let me buy my first motorcycle. I went back to pay that dog a visit and hung the toe of my boot under his chin, and I watched him do a back flip in the road. After that he would not come out of his yard...... (I did check from down the road he could run and walk, he just gave up chasing bikes and motorcycles).

·
Registered
133 Posts
thousands of mosquitos and knats......some mayflies and junebugs,,,I don't even slow down

·
Registered
70 Posts
Living in the country I've hit so many small animals it isn't even funny any more. Groundhogs, rabbits, squirrels, 'possum and chipmunks in spite of how fast they are, etc, etc and one black snake.
I think birds were the most dangerous because you never see them coming. There was one particular corner I used to come around with a high bank and bushes and the little kamikaze sparrows used to try and dodge me. The first time it scared the crap out of me, then I got used to them but they never learned. About once a week I would have to pick the remnants out of my bike. I had one hit me squarely on the forehead of my helmet and snap my head back leaving a crease where it's beak hit. I've had close calls with several deer and one cow. Cows don't care, they'll just stand in the middle of the road chewing their cud and look at you.
I had one particular dog that used to take pleasure in chasing me when I rounded a corner at the top of the hill until I pulled the towel on a rope trick. From then on he just laid in the yard when I went by, he didn't suffer any long lasting injuries but he did stop chasing me :D
I will tell you one thing from experience, never, ever stick your foot out to kick a 'possum when you're going 60mph. Damn near ripped my crotch out after my leg flew back and I kicked myself in the back. I wobbled all over the road but managed to keep the bike upright.
I even got hit by a rabbit once. I was following a semi and it got caught between the rear dual wheels. In what seemed like slow motion it was almost surreal as it came flying at me in a twisting motion and both halves slammed into my windshield cracking it.
Living along the river has it's disadvantages as well. Small box turtles can be a problem as well as mink and muskrat. When there's a may fly hatch, it's best to slow to a crawl unless you want to be covered in snow and locust really hurt when they hit.
I would imagine over the years I've encountered everything that walks, crawls, slithers and flies is in these parts but I've never laid my bike down. (knock on wood)
This started over 30yrs ago when I used to ride a Yamaha 650 to work. Since that time and several bikes later I slow down now whenever I see critters even close to the road.
As dangerous as it can be, I'll still take all of this over cagers and if I ever leave this world on my bike, it'll probably be because a damn squirrel!

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Speaking of snakes. I used to (before I got a bike with linked brakes) lock my back wheel up and slid over them to kill them. I remember the first time I done that with my wife (then girlfriend) because she had no idea it was coming. Neither did my kidneys expect her fist several times after I done it either.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Hit a young pheasant at 90, splattered like a bug on my windshield.
Saw a guy hit a jackrabbit and jam it under the front fender of his Harley, came to a quick stop just off the pavement. Same guy hit a deer while going 70, took off everything that stuck up above the bars, windshield, rider, passenger, trunk bag. They were lucky to get off with road rash and bruises, nothing broken. Deer didn't survive.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hit a kitten on a back road. Braked hard until got right to it then let off. AWent over it wirh no problem. Wife was ridi g her bike and wouldn't let me finish it off. The cat survived a broken hip and found a new home at our place. Turned out to be a great mouser. 100 lb dg ran out suddenly last year and hit the forks. Didn't go down but me and the bike were a little banged up. The dog died about an hour later.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts