Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a new 2017 Voyager, i new they ran hot but never imagined it this hot. Has anyone come up with a way to resolve this issue without Ivanizing the bike. I have a 7 year warranty and do not want to void it.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You can use Engine ICE, Water Wetter, or Hy-Per Lube Coolant, and the Ivan flash, but nothing helps much. I have the Ivan flash and use the Hy-Per Coolant and there is little difference when the outside temps are 85 to 113. I ride in these temps and I see little or no difference.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guess I'm nit gonna be a happy guy come the summer. It runs hotter then a air cooled bike in my opinion.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have Ivanized my bike few weeks after I got it... not sure if this actually voids the warranty or not, but the difference between stock and Ivanized ECU cannot be described...needs to be experienced first hand :)
One option if you don't want to mess with the original ECU, get a spare one off of eBay, send it to Ivan to flash, and keep the original on the shelf.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
I have Ivanized my bike few weeks after I got it... not sure if this actually voids the warranty or not, but the difference between stock and Ivanized ECU cannot be described...needs to be experienced first hand :)
One option if you don't want to mess with the original ECU, get a spare one off of eBay, send it to Ivan to flash, and keep the original on the shelf.
Modifications and aftermarket parts cannot void the warranty unless the dealer can prove that the mod or part caused a warranty related failure. That's federal law. So if you need a bearing replaced under warranty, they can't deny it because you had the ECU flashed.

It could get tricky if the failure is something that is controlled directly or indirectly by the ECU. If they can make a good argument (remember they must prove that any mods caused the failure) that a failure was due to the flash, you might be in for a fight.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Please do a search on this topic as it has actually been talked to death. It's not the bike running hot, it is because of all the plastic up front protecting you from the elements....if the rain can't get in then the wind can't get in to efficiently cool the engine. It's a trade off really. I put a manual fan switch on and it makes a world of difference.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I thought the Voyager ran pretty hot for the first season, part of break-in I suppose. After several seasons its not an issue for where I ride.
Some ideas from this forum;
1. Wrapping the exhaust pipes helps. Remove the chrome cover and wrap that segment of pipe.
2. KAMS kit, though that might be standard on your late model.
3. At low speeds, in traffic its tough.
4. Try different positions of the lower air slots. I found fully closed at highway speeds temp gauge is lower.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Most of my riding has been at highway speeds with the lowers open, so i will have to try closed.
If i wrap pipes will the shields go back on?
Thanks for input.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ah yeah, the cover mount points will show on the pipes. Work around those points. I did the rear pipe, as it’s closest to leg. Will do front pipe next year.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I rode all last Summer with lowers open. This year I had them closed in cool weather and as it got hotter I forgot to open them. I noticed it ran cooler and I didn't feel the heat as much either. I ride with mine closed all the time now.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I Ivanized at the 2000 mile mark on my 2016. Boy.....sure ran cooler and better. I was just astounded pre-Ivan that the temp gauge would go 3/4 and a bit beyond at stop even in 35 degree F temps! Now on 90 degree F days on the highway the gauge just is a tick over halfway. Temps here in 50's lately and gauge below halfway on the highway. I too found that not opening the vents on hot days actually keeps the heat down. And my radiator fan broke at the 4500 mile mark. It was replaced under warranty no problem. I too will get a used ECU off Ebay if I every think I need warrantly work that is remotely involving the ECU (I have a friend who got one for $200 on Ebay and had that one Ivanized keeping his OEM ECU just in case for warranty) . I have read elsewhere on this forum that some dealers actually facilitate the Ivan reflash. Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I Ivanized at the 2000 mile mark on my 2016. Boy.....sure ran cooler and better. I was just astounded pre-Ivan that the temp gauge would go 3/4 and a bit beyond at stop even in 35 degree F temps! Now on 90 degree F days on the highway the gauge just is a tick over halfway. Temps here in 50's lately and gauge below halfway on the highway. I too found that not opening the vents on hot days actually keeps the heat down. And my radiator fan broke at the 4500 mile mark. It was replaced under warranty no problem. I too will get a used ECU off Ebay if I every think I need warrantly work that is remotely involving the ECU (I have a friend who got one for $200 on Ebay and had that one Ivanized keeping his OEM ECU just in case for warranty) . I have read elsewhere on this forum that some dealers actually facilitate the Ivan reflash. Good luck!
I gotta try and find a ecu for a 2017 Voyager.
Thanks for your input.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
Suggest call Gina or Ivan at Ivans (Gina ususally picks up) She will tell you the serial number with the last 4 numbers that are most important) of the used ECU you should be looking for. This is what we did for my buddy that bought one used on Ebay. He is actually in Australia. He bought the used ECU on USA Ebay...had it sent to me. i sent it Ivan and had the reflash done. They sent it back to me and I shipped to my buddy in Australia. Like clockwork. Ivan does not ship overseas. Believe me........I thought I had bought the wrong bike too as it just did not perform out of the box like I thought a 1700 cc bike should. Now it does, bone stock, thanks to Ivan. The good thing about these Voyagers is that just about everything that fits on an older one is what is being used on the new ones. Just look at a parts schematic like on Babbits and try various years for the same part. Most often will be the same. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Suggest call Gina or Ivan at Ivans (Gina ususally picks up) She will tell you the serial number with the last 4 numbers that are most important) of the used ECU you should be looking for. This is what we did for my buddy that bought one used on Ebay. He is actually in Australia. He bought the used ECU on USA Ebay...had it sent to me. i sent it Ivan and had the reflash done. They sent it back to me and I shipped to my buddy in Australia. Like clockwork. Ivan does not ship overseas. Believe me........I thought I had bought the wrong bike too as it just did not perform out of the box like I thought a 1700 cc bike should. Now it does, bone stock, thanks to Ivan. The good thing about these Voyagers is that just about everything that fits on an older one is what is being used on the new ones. Just look at a parts schematic like on Babbits and try various years for the same part. Most often will be the same. Good luck.

I am in Western Australia & had my 2012 Nomad ECU flashed in June this year, 13 days over & back- no problems with Ivan sending it back to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
Good to know Diggles. Curious.....was there any extra customs tax etc. levied when you got it back? How much was shipping back to you? It was $62 US for me to ship to AU with $850 insurance included.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
I tried to find a used one for mine as was a bit apprehensive of sending it in the post. My ECU is the Asia/Europe model 21175-0340 which Ivan had not worked on before & I wasn’t paying for a brand new one out of the UK. Was sent International priority both ways & marked as item for repair, no taxes etc either way. USD 79 with insurance etc from Ivan’s shop to me in country WA. Goes like a bike should now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts