Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 86 vulcan 750 with the 749 motor. I don't know why but i get overheating when i do highway riding at 65-70 mph constant. It gets to the red area about 20 miles of riding from time i leave my house. But, if i do 55-60 mph constant it doesn't go in the red zone it kinda stays in an ok temp area.. still running a bit high in temp but at a safe zone away from the red area. Is there anything i can do to remedy this or do I have to keep my speeds 55-60 on the highway...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I just got the bike a few weeks ago. My brother in law had it but he didn't ride it much. He had the bike since 1990 he bought it from a dealership with 1200 mileage on it but title said he was first owner.. the bike sat for the last 7 years. When i got it. I flushed it out. did all the routine maintenance to it. overflow tank is full, system is full, and no air bubbles.

This happens no matter the temp out. Either late night hours or hot 90+ degree days. If i maintain a 55-60 mph it stays pretty steady and normal.. if 65-70 the temp raises and willl redline if i let it.
i live in the east coast USA in new jersey

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
The first thing you might do is change the thermostat. Sometimes they become sluggish after a long sitting spell and do not open/close totally.
Your symptoms point to insufficent coolant flow, so this is a good place to start. Anything else (plugged radiator) could get more expensive, so start with the easy and cheap, first.

Post back with your results.

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
As an add, does the system build and hold pressure when it is hot?
Check to see if the coolant hoses are hard or soft when up to temperature.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts