Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Momma needs a new pair of shoes (Big bike needs new tires:) ) and I've been looking at the Vee rubber white walls. Only thing is, they don't make a 150 front tire (which as you know is bigger than most bikes rear tire) They do however make a 150 rear. Any issues running a rear on the front? I know that front tires have a different tread pattern and have always bought tires for the appropriate end of the bike but that is a problem here. I've PM'd Mark Edward and hope he'll respond here as well to let us know how his rear Vee is holding up and see if he also has the front. I did do a search already on here and 11 threads came up in relation to Vee rubber but nothing answered my question.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I have always heard (never tried) you can as long as your run it against the rotation arrow. When I purchased my 1100 Yamaha the PO had a Dunlop 404? rear on the front but it was running with the arrow. The tread did not wear evenly. The "digging" part of the tread it harder then the back of the tread (if that makes sense).

I believe dark side riders do this quite frequently and call it "double Darkside" or something of that nature.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I am a double darkside rider.
I run the Bridgestone Battlax (there is no E in the spelling).
It is bias ply and I run it in reverse rotation.

JJ

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Been reading a ton of info since I posted this, it's a really slow day at work. Looks as though you were right SWVA about mounting it backwards. I won't share everything I've read but this thread has some good information just in case you were wondering.
http://www.venturerider.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-49086.html

I believe I'll mount a rear on the front backwards but would still like to hear how Vee is aging.

·
Registered
775 Posts
The brake force is like the acceleration force.
The rear is designed for acceleration and reversing it allows it to handle braking.
You wouldn't mount a front facing backwards is true.

JJ

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Per Metzeler's site:

20. Arrow = The arrow indicates the rotation direction of the tyre accordingly to its fitting position (front or rear). In case a rear tyre is fitted on a front wheel, the tyre has to be fitted reverse to the rotating direction indicated on the sidewall. Fitment of front tyres on rear wheel is not permitted.

And a brief snippet from Avon:
If you are using a tire that has a directional arrow for rear rotation only and for some reason you
want to put it on the front, make sure it is rotating in the opposite direction so you don’t
aggravate the tread splice.

·
V2K Rogue Wrangler
1,112 Posts
I put a Metzler rear tire on the front of my V2K, mounted backwards. It is the same size but has thicker tread so it lasts longer. I have a couple thousand miles on it and it looks almost new. Handles just fine.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
545 Posts
160-80-16 front

I cant see what all the fuzz is about Im running a 160 -80- 16 rear tire on the front of my v2k turning in the right direction it works for me maybe not you

if you want to see pictures look in my statitics under theads started there you can find pistures on the tire i installed

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Hello, Kyrocket:

Contact the tire manufacturer. This is the ONLY way you get a real true and accurate answer on this question. It is easier than what you are doing now. You just pick up that 3,000 pound telephone, dial their number, get a live person in Tech support, and away you go. I am sure they have engineers who would be more than happy to chat.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I've done that in the past. In my experience, they were nice enough, but could only tell you what they could read off a piece of paper or a computer screen. How many engineers that design those tires actually ride or actually ride on their tires? That's why I come to a VN2000 forum, to get advice from actual real world experiences. Same reason I belong to a Buell forum, to get advice for my other bike.

True story: I once owned a '81 Z28 and took it to a big box store to get the oil changed because I was in a hurry. Five "techs" couldn't open the hood and when I showed them how they accused me of rigging it up myself. It was BONE STOCK, well, the hood latch was. That is why I like to talk to people with the same vehicle I have.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Yeah, I've done that in the past. In my experience, they were nice enough, but could only tell you what they could read off a piece of paper or a computer screen. How many engineers that design those tires actually ride or actually ride on their tires? That's why I come to a VN2000 forum, to get advice from actual real world experiences. Same reason I belong to a Buell forum, to get advice for my other bike.

True story: I once owned a '81 Z28 and took it to a big box store to get the oil changed because I was in a hurry. Five "techs" couldn't open the hood and when I showed them how they accused me of rigging it up myself. It was BONE STOCK, well, the hood latch was. That is why I like to talk to people with the same vehicle I have.
Lol, I love it. I know I mentioned having one in the past. What I also loved to do was to pull up to a full service gas station with some teenager working. More often then not they would ask me move to the other side, and at times I would just to see their face when I moved to the other side and their still was not a filler neck there either. :D

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Man, that's what I'm talking about! There are certain things that should have never left the automotive world. Rear, centered fuel fillers are one of them. My first vehicle had that too, a '76 Cutlass Supreme. Another is wing windows. I've got two old trucks left that still sport wing windows ('92 Toyota and a '82 Ford F100) love a wing window. Love going to car shows and seeing things from the 60's and 70's and thinking man why don't they do that today?

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Man, that's what I'm talking about! There are certain things that should have never left the automotive world. Rear, centered fuel fillers are one of them. My first vehicle had that too, a '76 Cutlass Supreme. Another is wing windows. I've got two old trucks left that still sport wing windows ('92 Toyota and a '82 Ford F100) love a wing window. Love going to car shows and seeing things from the 60's and 70's and thinking man why don't they do that today?
The vent windows are awesome. You don't need AC with those. You talk about moving some air through the cab of a truck, flip one of those open and hold on to your hat :D. Also floor board dimmer switches is another. I wish they would put them back down there again.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hello, Kyrocket:

Contact the tire manufacturer. This is the ONLY way you get a real true and accurate answer on this question. It is easier than what you are doing now. You just pick up that 3,000 pound telephone, dial their number, get a live person in Tech support, and away you go. I am sure they have engineers who would be more than happy to chat.
Heck give it a try all they can say is your f***ing crazy dont do that, that is not the intended purpose of the tire.

You would though, think that since a rear tire is designed for more shearing stress force during accel and lower stress during back braking the ideal way would be against the arrow. But they are also designed to shed water better while rotating in a certain direction. They are also design to handle side loading while turning, while rotating in a certain direction. But a front tire would be designed differently becasue when stoping the front will experience a ton more down force due to weight shift, this is why you stop typical 70% and up with front tire.

Has anyone done a comparision of the tread patterns, which way are they facing on the front tire. Seems like there could be argument for both directions. .

How much more life are people getting out of a rear on the front?

Has anyone tried putting a car tire on the front not sure if they even make them small enough.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Reverse tread question

I bought a set Shinko WW for my Nomad and did not realize I bought two rear tires. So I have a rear tire on my front tread facing arrow direction. Its brand new. A shop owner told me to reverse the tire so tread is backward so it dispense water properly. Can I turn rim around or does it need to be remounted?

·
Registered
545 Posts
I bought a set Shinko WW for my Nomad and did not realize I bought two rear tires. So I have a rear tire on my front tread facing arrow direction. Its brand new. A shop owner told me to reverse the tire so tread is backward so it dispense water properly. Can I turn rim around or does it need to be remounted?
I have 2 rear shinko 747 radials tires on my vn2000 turning in the normal direction have about 7000 mi on them rear is kind of worn the front looks like new

the tire maker or any one alse involved in the tire industry is going to tell not to run a rear tire in front because of the liability issues involved not because they are against darkside
think of all the money they will loose if riders get 15000mi instead of 7000 mi. out of front tire , not to mention C Tires

1 - 20 of 22 Posts